15 Top Benefits of Neem Leaves for Skin, Hair and Health – Neem is one of the most used herbs in Ayurveda, unani, naturopathy as well as homeopathy medicines. Here in this article, we will explore the benefits of neem leaves for skin, hair and health and also various neem leaves uses. Neem is called the ‘cure-all’ ingredient, and that’s because of the antibacterial, antiviral, antimicrobial, antiseptic, analgesic, anti pyretic, anti diabetic, anti fungal, blood-purifying benefits of neem leaves. Moreover, all these properties have made neem a great natural remedy for various diseases. Due to its various medicinal use, neem is also called as ‘one tree pharmacy’. Neem is considered a boon for oily and acne prone skin. Let’s find out the top benefits of neem leaves for skin, hair and health and simple neem leaves uses.
Check – Patanjali Neem-Aloe Vera Face Pack
As we are about to explore all the beauty and medicinal benefits of neem leaves, let’s quickly check out some quick facts about neem leaf.
Facts about Neem Leaf
Neem tree, scientifically known as Azadirachta indica, is native to Indian subcontinent. It typically grows in topical and semi tropical regions. Neem tree also grows in islands located at the Southern part of Iran. The Neem leaves are usually 20-40 cm long. Neem is considered as a weed in many parts of the world, including some parts of Middle East, most of the Sub-Saharan Africa and some parts of Australia.
The Neem tree is one of those trees whose every part has got some amazing medicinal as well as health benefits. Neem leaf has multiple uses in the form of raw leaves, neem leaves powder, neem leaf extract as well as neem leaf juice. Moreover, neem leaves are processed and used in various medicines. And not only in medicines, neem leaf has various uses in skin care industry, health products, cosmetic industry, agricultural industry as well as herbal industries.
Check – Check the Easiest Skin Care Routine For Dry Skin
Here is a list of different names for neem leaf in different Indian languages
- Neem (Hindi, Urdu and Bengali)
- Nimm (Punjabi)
- Arya Veppu (Malayalam)
- Nimba (Sanskrit and Marathi)
- Nimtree, Vepu, Vempu, Vepa (Telugu)
- Bevu (Kannada)
- Vembu (Tamil)
- Indian Lilac (Neem in English)
15 Top Benefits of Neem Leaves for Skin, Hair and Health
Now that we have learned some quick and interesting facts about neem leaf, here are some amazing benefits of neem leaves along with some simple yet effective uses of neem leaves.
- Neem Leaves to Treat Acne
- Moisturize Dry Skin using Neem Leaves
- Shrink Large Pores using Neem Leaves
- Neem leaves can Even Out Skin Tone
- Neem Leaves Soothe Sunburned Skin
- Cure Dandruff with the help of Neem leaves
- Neem Leaves to Treat Scalp Infections
- Neem Leaves promote Hair Growth
- Healthy scalp using Neem leaves
- Neem Leaves can Cure Lice
- Neem Leaves as Blood Purifier
- Control Diabetes by using Neem Leaves
- Neem Leaves help Treat Intestinal Worms
- Relieve Arthritis with Neem Leaves benefits
- Neem Leaves Uses to Treat Cancer
Benefits of Neem Leaves for Skin
The powerful anti bacterial benefits of neem leaves work wonders on infections and other skin problems. Check out the benefits of neem leaves for skin and different uses of neem leaves as well.
1. Neem Leaves to Treat Acne
Why to use neem leaves to treat acne
Neem leaves have strong anti-microbial, anti bacterial, anti fungal and anti inflammatory properties, which are the therapeutic benefits of neem leaves. These neem leaves benefits help in acne treatment. Topical neem leaves uses not only kills the acne causing bacteria, but also reduces the inflammation associated with acne and pimples. Not only acne and pimples, benefits of neem leaves are also very effective in treating various other skin infections.
How to use neem leaves for acne treatment
There are various uses of neem leaves when it comes to acne treatment
- Boil equal amount of orange peel and neem leaves in water. When they become soft, grind them and make a paste. Add some honey and lemon juice to the mix. Apply it onto the face and let it dry. Use this pack once or twice to get rid of the stubborn acne and pimples.
- Crush few neem leaves and extract the juice, and mix some yogurt to it. Apply this face mask all over the face and wait for some times before rinsing off. Repeat this treatment twice a week for combating acne.
2. Use Neem Leaves to Moisturize Dry Skin
Why to use neem leaves to moisturize dry skin
Neem leaves has the ability to prevent moisture loss from the skin and restore skin’s natural protective barrier. Not only this, benefits of neem leaves can also give relief from eczema, which is a inflammatory skin condition that causes extremely dry, red and itchy skin. The anti inflammatory benefits of neem leaves reduce the inflammation of the skin and its moisturizing properties heal the dryness.
How to use neem leaves to moisturize dry skin
This is one of the best neem leaves uses for skin. Dry some neem leaves under the sun, grind them and make a powder. Make a paste by mixing few drops of grape seed oil and neem powder. Apply this pack on the face, arms, legs and other dry parts of the body. Leave it on for some time and rinse off.
3. Benefits of Neem Leaves to Shrink Large Pores
Why to use neem leaves to shrink large pores
Indian lilac, which is neem in english, is a great home remedy to shrink large pores. Along with that, neem uses on skin for regular basis is also very effective to cure blackheads and whiteheads, thanks to the anti bacterial benefits of neem leaves.
How to use neem leaves to shrink large pores
To utilize this neem leaves benefits, get some neem powder from dry neem leaves. Mix equal amount of neem powder and orange peel powder and add some rose water to make a thin paste. Apply this on to the face and let it dry. Rinse off to experience difference in your skin texture immediately.
4. Neem Leaves Benefits to Even Out Skin Tone
Why to use neem leaves to even out skin tone
The anti oxidant benefits of neem leaves work wonders to reduce melanin production and thus making the skin tone even. Regular uses of neem leaves also help in reducing dark spots and blemishes. Plus the anti inflammatory benefits of neem leaves help to get rid of any redness or swelling on the face.
Check – Homemade Potato Facial Bleach for Clear and Fair Skin
How to use neem leaves to even out skin tone
Here is how to utilize this neem leaves benefits – Grind 10-12 neem leaves to make a paste. Add 2-3 tsp of turmeric powder and mix thoroughly. Apply it all over the face. Leave it on for 20 minutes and wash off with water. Doing this treatment daily can give results in 2 weeks.
5. Neem Leaves Soothe Sunburned Skin
Why to use neem leaves to soothe sunburned skin
Next on our list of neem leaves benefits is this one. Neem leaves can counter act all the ill affects of sun exposure including sun burn. Sun burn causes massive damage to the skin and painful inflammation. The soothing benefits of neem leaves helps the skin to retain its natural moisture and heal irritation. The anti septic and anti inflammatory benefits of neem leaves treat the inflammation and help to heal the affected area.
How to use neem leaves to soothe sunburned skin
Check out how topical neem uses can cure sun burn –
- Mix together a tbsp of neem leaf juice and a pinch of turmeric powder. Spread it over the affected area. Allow it to dry and then rinse off with warm water.
- Grind together raw turmeric, neem leaves and basil leaves. Add some sandalwood powder and use this face mask daily on the skin. This will cure the sun burn as well as make the skin spotless.
Benefits of Neem Leaves for Hair
Not only for skin, neem leaves benefits work wonders for hair as well. Regular neem uses can treat a number of issues like hair fall, dandruff as well as irritated scalp.
6. Cure Dandruff with the help of Neem leaves
Why to use neem leaves to cure dandruff
Lets start our list of benefits of neem leaves for hair with this one. The anti fungal benefits of neem leaves play a vital role in curing dandruff. Along with that it is also very effective in reducing any inflammation of the scalp caused by excessive scratching. Furthermore, neem leaves uses also gives relief from dryness and itching of scalp.
How to use Neem leaves to get rid of dandruff
There are couple of neem uses for dandruff treatment :
- Boil some neem leaves in 4-5 cups of water until the water turns green. Strain and let the neem infused water cool. Use this water as the final rinse after shampooing your hair.
- Dry some neem leaves under the sun and powder them. Mix 3-4 tbsp of neem powder and enough water to make a paste. Apply it all over the scalp and hair. Leave it on for at least 40 minutes and then wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
7. Benefits of Neem Leaves to Treat Scalp Infections
Why to use neem leaves to treat scalp infections
The anti bacterial and anti septic benefits of neem leaves are highly effective to treat scalp infections. Indian lilac, which is neem in english, promotes hair growth and moisturizes the hair while adding bounce and luster to dull and lifeless hair strands.
Check – Best Natural Moisturizer for Dry Skin
How to use Neem to treat scalp infections
- Add 3 handfuls of neem leaves in 4-5 cups of hot water. Let it sit for overnight and the next morning, strain the neem infused water. Then use this neem infused water to rinse your hair. Repeat it regularly till you get relief from scalp infections.
- Make a neem paste by crushing few neem leaves and then apply it on the scalp, concentrating more on the infected areas. Wait for few minutes and rinse off with water.
8. Benefits of Neem Leaves to promote Hair Growth
Why use neem leaves for hair growth
The blood purifying and anti-microbial benefits of neem leaves help to tackle the root cause of hair loss. It cures the internal problems and minimizes hair loss while boosting healthy hair growth. Neem Leaves maintains healthy scalp and removes any fungus or bacteria that otherwise can damage the scalp and prevent hair growth.
How to use neem leaves for promoting hair growth
- Boil some neem leaves in water until they become soft. Mash them and make a paste. Mix it with coconut oil. Apply this oil mix on to the hair and wait for at least an hour. Wash off with a shampoo.
- Regular uses of neem leaves paste on the scalp also helps in promoting hair growth.
- Mix one egg white with a cup of neem leaves paste to form a thick paste. Apply this mask on your scalp. Keep it on for about 20 minutes. Wash your hair with a mild shampoo. Try this remedy weekly once.
9. Use Neem Leaves for Healthy scalp
Why to use neem leaves to get healthy scalp
Whether you have dry scalp or oily scalp, benefits of neem leaves can cure both the condition and promote healthy scalp. The anti bacterial, anti fungal and anti microbial benefits of neem leaves cure all the scalp related issues and make the scalp healthy.
How to use Neem for healthy scalp
- Regular uses of neem leaves paste on scalp is very effective in maintaining healthy scalp and beautiful hair.
- Alternatively, you can also add some neem leaves juice to coconut oil and massage your scalp with that regularly.
- Using neem water rinse can also promote healthy scalp.
10. Neem Leaves can Cure Lice
The anti septic and anti bacterial benefits of neem leaves play a vital role in treating lice.
How to use Neem leaves to cure lice
- Make a paste of neem powder with rose water and apply on the scalp. Keep it on for 30 minutes and rinse. It will effectively eliminate lice and makes hair shiny and lustrous.
- Mix some neem leaves juice with your regular shampoo and wash your hair to get rid of lice.
Benefits of Neem Leaves for Health
So, we have already seen the benefits of neem leaves for our skin and hair. Now we will explore the benefits of neem leaves for health.
11. Benefits of Neem Leaves as Blood Purifier
Why to use neem leaves to purify blood
Indian lilac, which is neem in english, is a strong blood purifier and detoxifier. The blood purification benefits of neem leaves helps the body to get rid of the harmful toxins and also allows the blood to transport the necessary nutrients and oxygen to all the parts of our body. This results in better functioning of important organs like kidneys and liver.
How to use neem leaves to purify blood
- To utilize this benefits of neem leaves, eat 2-3 baby neem leaves mixed with honey on an empty stomach everyday in the morning for several weeks to notice changes in your body.
- You can also use the fresh neem leaves to make neem tea. Regular consumption of neem tea is also very beneficial for our health.
12. Control Diabetes by using Neem Leaves
Why use neem leaves to control diabetes
According to a study published in the Indian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology in 2000, Indian lilac, or neem in english, is highly effective in controlling the blood sugar level which delays the onset of diabetes. The extract of neem leaf contains several compounds that reduces the requirement of insulin among diabetic people.
How to use neem for diabetic patients
- Here is how to reap this benefits of neem leaves – Chew 4 or 5 tender neem leaves daily or every other day on an empty stomach to prevent diabetes. This is specially effective for those who are at a higher risk of developing diabetes.
- Consuming neem tablets also help to lower down blood glucose level.
13. Benefits of Neem Leaves to Treat Intestinal Worms
Why to use neem leaves for treating intestinal worms
The anti parasitic benefits of neem leaves come into play when it comes to the treatment of intestinal worms. Several compounds present in neem leaves also inhibits the parasites ability to feed and thus, helps to break their lifecycle and prevent the occurrence of new parasites. Furthermore, benefits of neem Leaves is that the extract can also remove the toxins left behind by parasites.
How to use neem leaves to cure intestinal worms
You can chew the tender neem leaves on an empty stomach or drink neem tea twice daily for couple of weeks to get rid of intestinal worms. Neem capsules or supplements also work.
14. Use neem leaves to Relieve Arthritis
Why to use Neem leaves for arthritis
So, here comes another amazing benefits of neem leaves. Neem is considered one of the best natural treatments for osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Moreover, the anti inflammatory benefits of neem leaves play a vital role in giving relief from the pain, inflammation and swelling of the joint.
Check – This is How I Remove Glittery Nail Paints from My Nails
How to use neem leaves to relieve arthritis pain
Boil a handful of neem leaves and neem flowers in a cup of water. Strain the water and allow it to cool. Drink it twice a day for a month to get desirable result.
Another way to use neem for arthritis is by massaging with neem oil. Regular massage with neem oil is very effective in relieving muscle aches and joint pain. It is also beneficial in reducing lower back pain.
15. Neem Leaves Benefits to Treat Cancer
Why to use neem leaves to treat cancer
According to a study by the researchers of Roswell Park Cancer Institute, the extracts of neem leaves, neem seeds, neem flowers as well as neem flowers have chemopreventive and anti tumor properties. They have shown positive effect on different types of cancers, such as prostate cancer and cervical cancer. The antioxidants benefits of neem leaves are also beneficial in cancer treatment. Neem can help prevent cancer by boosting the immune system, reducing inflammation, blocking free radicals, blocking hormonal activity as well as inhibiting cell division.
So, these were some extra ordinary benefits of neem leaves for our health, hair as well as skin. Below we are going to discuss few more benefits of neem leaves.
Improves Gastric Health
Here is another very important benefits of neem leaves. Moreover, consuming neem leaves on regular basis results in reduction in any type of inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract. In turn, it also helps to reduce ulcers and a wide range of other gastric problems, such as constipation, bloating as well as cramping. Neem can also heal stomach flu and any other stomach infections that kills the beneficial bacteria in the gut.
Wound Healing Ability
Neem leaves are known for its powerful antiseptic properties. When used on wounds, neem leaves can heal the wound without leaving behind any ugly scars. Furthermore, neem leaves paste or neem oil application on the wound promote quick healing and healthy skin.
Here is another less known benefits of neem leaves, Neem is used to treat malaria fever, because one of its components ‘gedunin’ is very effective in treating malaria. Consuming neem leaves is one of the most effective treatment for malaria. Exposing the mosquitoes to the odor of crushed neem leaves also results in reduction of egg laying.
When the blood cannot run smoothly to our brain, it results in stroke. In fact, the high calcium is often the reason behind it. The oil in neem leaves also helps the blood to run smoothly which is one of the best benefits of neem leaves. Consuming neem leaves on regular basis can reduce the risk of stroke.
Maintains Oral Heath
The anti bacterial and antiseptic benefits of neem leaves also help to kill the bacteria that causes cavities, plaque, gingivitis and other gum diseases while providing long lasting fresh breath. All you have to do is to extract the juice of neem leaves and massage your teeth and gums with that. Leave it on for a few minutes and rinse off with warm water. Use this treatment once daily.
Word of Caution
Pregnant women, especially who are in the fourth or fifth month of their pregnancy, should not have neem. Consumption of neem produces internal heat, which could prove hazardous to the foetus and harm the baby. Also, when a woman is planning to conceive she should avoid neem leaves, as the excess heat would cause problems.
I hope the above article on various benefits of neem leaves was helpful for you. Don’t forget to share your feedback below 🙂