15 Top Benefits of Cardamom and Uses that You Should Know – Elaichi, or cardamom is a popular spice in Indian cuisine. It is known for its rich aroma and flavor, but what many of us do not know that this aromatic spice cardamom has many benefits for health and beauty. This article will cover all the top benefits of cardamom and various uses of it. Known as the ‘Queen of the Spices’, cardamom is the third most expensive spice in the world, after saffron and vanilla. Cardamoms are rich in several minerals, like potassium, calcium, sulfur, magnesium, iron as well as manganese. They also contain vitamins including riboflavin, niacin and Vitamin C. The medicinal benefits of cardamom includes its antiseptic, antioxidant, antispasmodic, digestive, carminative, diuretic as well as stimulant properties.
Check – How to use Turmeric for Skin Whitening
What is Cardamom
Cardamom belongs to the Zingiberaceae family of plants and is scientifically known as Elettaria cardamomum. Basically, cardamoms are small, greenish pods with black seeds inside. Both the seeds and pod have strong, unique spicy-sweet flavor. This spice is native to India, Nepal, Bhutan and many other places of Asia continent, like China, Vietnam, Malaysia, Korea, Japan etc. It is believed that the cultivation of cardamoms actually began in India.
There are two main types of cardamom available. The ‘Green Cardamom’ which is small and the larger ones are black, red or white variety of cardamoms. Found in India and Malaysia, the green cardamom is the most common types of cardamoms which are used to flavor sweet and savory dishes, as well as various beverages. The black ones are mostly found in Eastern Himalaya region. They have medicinal values and are used in savory dishes, like Biryani.
Also Check – 15 Surprising Benefits of Cumin for Skin, Hair and Health
The Spices Board of India has recognized three main varieties of cardamoms – Malabar, Mysore and Vazhukka varieties. Along with them, the ‘Njallani’ variant of cardamoms is also quite popular, which was developed in Kerala.
In India, cardamom is traditionally considered as ‘herb’ and it has its uses in Ayurveda and traditional Chinese medicine.
Name of Cardamom in different Indian languages
- Elaichi (in Hindi)
- Aelakka (in Malaylam)
- Elakkai (in Tamil)
- Yelakulu (in Telugu)
- Yalakki (in Kannada)
- Ilaychi (in Gujarati)
- Elach (in Bengali)
15 Top Benefits of Cardamom and Uses that You Should Know
Those were some quick facts about cardamoms or elaichi, as we popularly call it. Hope you loved it. Let’s now explore all the benefits of cardamom that we must know, along with its uses.
- Use Cardamom for Glowing Skin
- Cardamom helps in Anti Aging
- Cardamom can be used as a Cleanser
- Fight Acne with Cardamom
- Use Cardamom to Nourish Scalp
- Cardamom for Healthy and Beautiful Hair
- Cardamom for Cardiovascular Health
- Treat Anemia using Cardamom
- Cardamom to Prevent Gastrointestinal Diseases
- Use Cardamom for Cancer Prevention
- Cardamom to Beat Bad Breath
- Cardamom for Kidney Health
- Use of Cardamom for Asthma Patients
- Cardamom to Detoxify Our Body
- Use of Cardamom as Antidepressant
Benefits of Cardamom for Skin
Out of the two varieties of cardamoms, the green cardamom is more commonly used for skin. The essential oil present in the spice is highly beneficial for our skin as well as hair.
1. Use Cardamom for Glowing Skin
Why to use cardamoms for glowing skin
So, let’s start our list of benefits of cardamom for skin with this one. Green cardamom is very effective to improve the glow of the skin. The immense antioxidant present in cardamom helps to remove the toxins from our body and cleanse our body from within. In fact, when the toxins are eliminated from our body, our skin becomes clear and glowing.
How to use cardamom for glowing skin
- Mix equal amount of cardamom powder and yogurt in a small bowl. Then apply it on the face and neck. Leave it on for 15 minutes and then rinse off.
- Another way to utilize cardamom by making an exfoliating face mask. Take a pinch of cardamom powder, a cup of rose water and 3/4th cup of plain oatmeal. Throw everything into blender and make a soft, smooth paste. Apply on the damp skin and leave it on for 5 minutes. Scrub off while removing the mask. Use it once a week to get glowing skin.
2. Benefits of Cardamom for Anti Aging
Why to use cardamom for anti aging
Another amazing benefits of cardamom is that it can make our skin look young and glowing and prevents premature aging. The anti oxidants present in cardamom can be attributed to for this. The antioxidants fight against the free radicals and keep our skin youthful.
How to use cardamom for anti aging
- Consuming green cardamom regularly can keep aging at bay.
- You can also use cardamom essential oil to enjoy elaichi benefits for skin. Add a few drops of cardamom essential oil to your face serum and then massage it on the skin. It improve the texture of the skin, Treats uneven skin tone and diminishes fine lines and wrinkles.
3. Benefits of Cardamom as a Cleanser
Why to use cardamom as cleanser
Cardamom essential oil can be used as a daily cleanser. Anti bacterial benefits of cardamom essential oil inhibits the growth of bacteria and fungus and make our skin clear and glowing. It also unclogs pores and lightens scars.
How to use cardamom as cleanser
There are couple of ways to get this cardamom benefits –
- Apply few drops of cardamom essential oil on to the face and massage it for couple of minutes. Wash off using your regular face wash.
- You can also use cardamom powder to whip up your own DIY cardamom cleanser. Take 1/3rd of a cup of goat’s milk and add a tsp of cardamom powder to it. Mix well and gently massage in to your face and neck for few minutes. Rinse off with lukewarm water. Its a gentle cleanser, but you should start using it once a week. If there is no side effect, increase the frequency over time.
4. Cardamom Fights Acne
Why to use cardamom to treat acne
The antibacterial benefits of cardamom is very effective to treat acne, pimples and other skin allergies. Also the detoxifying benefits of cardamom help to keep the skin clean and clear. Plus the antioxidants can also be attributed to for this elaichi benefits for skin.
Check – 15 Top Homemade Acne Treatment for Clear Skin
How to use cardamom to treat acne
- Mix some cardamom powder with few drops of lemon juice. Apply it as a spot treatment onto the acne and the marks. Rinse off with water after 10 minutes.
- Take out the seeds from fresh green cardamom pods and put them in the blender to get a fine powder. Add some honey with this ground cardamom and apply it on to the face. Leave it on for some time and then rinse off.
- Another way to reap this benefits of cardamom is by consuming it on regular basis.
Benefits of Cardamom for Hair
Cardamom is not only beneficial for our skin, but benefits of cardamom can also contribute to hair growth and can treat scalp problems. Below we have discussed some of the elaichi benefits for hair.
5. Benefits of Cardamom to Nourish Scalp
Why to use cardamom to nourish scalp
Lets start our list of cardamom benefits for hair with this one. The antioxidant in cardamom work wonders to nourish our scalp and improve scalp health. It also provides nourishment to our hair follicles. The anti bacterial benefits of cardamom also play a vital role in keeping our scalp free of infections.
How to use cardamom to nourish scalp
- Using cardamom water to wash our hair is useful for scalp health. All you have to do is to mix cardamom powder with water and use it before shampoo.
- Cardamom oil is a great natural disinfectant. Applying this oil directly to the scalp helps to treat scalp infection and also removes dandruff.
6. Benefits of Cardamom for Healthy and Beautiful Hair
Why to use cardamom for healthy and beautiful hair
The anti oxidative benefits of cardamom has made it a suitable treatment of hair.According to ayurveda, cardamom is one of the important constituents of herbal oil. One of the best elaichi benefits of hair is that it can strengthen the roots of the hair, making your hair strong and add shine. Green cardamom also protect our hair from various damages.
How to use cardamom for healthy and beautiful hair
- Using cardamom oil directly on to the scalp keeps our scalp healthy, which in turn leads to healthy and beautiful hair.
- Regular consumption of cardamom is very beneficial to enhance our hair growth and achieve long, strong and beautiful hair.
Benefits of Cardamom for Health
Cardamom is one such spice that has many health benefits. Listed below are the most popular health benefits of cardamom.
7. Cardamom for Cardiovascular Health
Why to use cardamom for cardiovascular health
Lets start our list of health benefits of cardamom with this one. Various researches have found that cardamom is good for our cardiovascular health. The micro nutrients found in cardamom can counter act the surge of lipids in the body. Cardamom consumption can lead to controlled heart beat as well as control of hyper tension. The hepatic and cardiac anti oxidants enzymes found in cardamom can control the cholesterol level in our body. This is one of the best cardamom health benefits.
Potassium is one of the main components of our blood, body fluids and cells. Cardamom is packed with potassium. Adequate amount of potassium is very important to regularize our heart rate and keep the blood pressure under control. Furthermore, cardamom can also prevent platelet aggregation and inflammation and reduce the risk of blood clots and strokes.
How to use cardamom for cardiovascular health
- Prepare a concoction of a tsp of coriander, a pinch of cardamom powder and a cup of freshly squeezed peach juice. Consume it on regular basis to get this cardamom benefits for health.
- Consuming 2 cups of cardamom tea daily is also great for our cardiovascular health.
8. Cardamom can Treat Anemia
Why to use cardamom to treat anemia
Here is another cardamom health benefits. Green cardamom contains minerals like copper, iron as well as essential vitamins like riboflavin, niacin and vitamin C. All of these are very important for the production of red blood cells in our body. These minerals and vitamins in cardamom also positively effect our cellular metabolism. Thus they are very effective in preventing anemia.
How to use cardamom to treat anemia
Here is how to utilize this benefits of cardamom – Take a glass of warm milk and add a pinch of green cardamom powder and turmeric powder. You can also add some sugar for taste. Drink this every night. This will help you to get relief from weakness and other symptoms of anemia.
9. Cardamom helps to Prevent Gastrointestinal Diseases
Why to use cardamom to treat gastrointestinal diseases
Due to the medicinal benefits of cardamom, it has been traditionally used in ayurveda, Chinese medicine as well as in Unani system as a powerful remedy for gastrointestinal problems. The methanolic extract from cardamom helps in controlling acidity, flatulence and stomach cramps. According to a study, the extracted volatile oils from cardamom have positive effects on gastrointestinal disorders. Cardamom is also quite effective in stimulating the secretion of bile acid in the stomach which result in better digestion.
How to use cardamom for better digestion
Add this spice to your regular diet to enjoy all the cardamom health benefits. You can consume the seeds of cardamom, sprinkle ground cardamom on your food or drink a cup of cardamom tea.
10. Use Cardamom for Cancer Prevention
Why to use cardamom for cancer prevention
Next on our list of benefits of cardamom for health comes this one. Several animal studies have shown that cardamom can prevent delay and even reverse cancer formation. The anti inflammatory benefits of cardamom help in decreasing general inflammation, which prevents the growth of cancer cells. The IC3 and DIM phytochemicals in cardamom, are well-known to fight cancer. It prevents the growth of hormones responsible for breast, ovarian, and prostate cancer. Studies have shown that the powerful antioxidants benefits of cardamom are very effective for those suffering from colon cancer.
How to use cardamom for cancer prevention
Consuming cardamom regularly may help prevent cancer. Eat half teaspoon of cardamom powder daily to utilize this elaichi benefits.
11. Benefits of Cardamom to Beat Bad Breath
Why to use cardamom to beat bad breath
This is one of the most popular cardamom health benefits. The anti bacterial benefits of cardamom can fight the germs and bacteria that cause bad breath. Plus, the strong yet pleasant smell mask the bad breath. Cardamom seeds oil contains certain compounds that can kill the bacteria causing bad breath.
How to use cardamom to beat bad breath
To utilize this cardamom benefits for health, simply chew on a pod of cardamom after every meal or whenever you want to freshen up your breath. You can also drink some cardamom tea or rinse you mouth with cardamom tea twice daily.
12. Benefits of Cardamom for Kidney Health
Why to use cardamom for better kidney health
Cardamom is diuretic in nature, which means it positively affects the frequency and amount of urination. Urination is a natural way to detoxify our body. What’s more, cardamom can also lower our blood pressure and remove the calcium and urea accumulated in the kidneys. Cardamom health benefits also include its ability to treat a wide variety of kidney, bladder as well as urinary problems like kidney stones, nephritis, burning or painful urination and frequent urges to urinate etc. Also, it can be used to treat urinary tract infections.
How to use cardamom for kidney health
Adding cardamom to your daily diet is the best way to take advantage of this amazing health benefits of cardamom. Both whole and ground cardamom is highly beneficial to maintain kidney health.
13. Benefits of Cardamom for Asthma Patients
Why to use cardamom to alleviate asthma
Here is another top benefits of cardamom for health. Asthma patients can get relief from coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath or tightness in chest by using cardamom. Elaichi can also improve blood circulation within the lungs, fights inflammation and soothe mucous membranes. This way, it making breathing easier for asthma patients.
How to use cardamom powder for asthma patients
Asthma patients can take cardamom in small quantities regularly to utilize this cardamom health benefits. You can either add cardamom powder to your food or drink cardamom tea daily.
14. Benefits of Cardamom to Detoxify Our Body
Why to use cardamom to detoxify body
The antioxidant benefits of cardamom has positive effects on detoxifying our body from within. It also removes the toxins from the body. Also the manganese content of cardamom helps to produce certain enzymes that fights free radicals and protects our body from damages by free radicals. When the body is free from toxins, it is quite given that the immunity and metabolism will also be improved and you will feel more energetic.
Check – 5 Different Ways to Use Watermelon for Skin and Hair
How to use cardamom to detoxify body
A cup of cardamom tea, when taken on daily basis, goes a long way to keep our body healthy and clean from within. Also one can use use cardamom in foods on regular basis to boost the effect.
15. Cardamom works as an Antidepressant
Why to use cardamom as an anti depressant
This is another top benefits of cardamom that we must know. In fact, the antidepressant benefits of cardamom helps individual to cope with depression. The essential oil of cardamom is used extensively in aromatherapy.
How to use cardamom as anti depressant
Powder a few seeds of cardamom and boil them in water. Take along with your tea. Regular consumption of cardamom will give desirable result soon.
Here’s another way to utilize this benefits of cardamom. Consuming green cardamom powder with honey works great for our nervous system. It helps in getting rid of nervous weakness while also increasing confidence level.
That was a compilation of 15 top benefits of cardamom for our skin, hair and health. By now, you must have realized that cardamom is much more than a flavoring agent for our foods. Here are few more benefits of cardamom in case you want to know more.
Cardamom is Good for Diabetic Treatment
Benefits of cardamom has also made it a good natural treatment for diabetes. It contains manganese which is known to lower the risk of diabetes.
Cardamom Improves Appetite
This is another vital cardamom health benefits. It works as a digestive tonic that combats acidity, flatulence, indigestion which can otherwise reduce our appetite. Furthermore, elaichi, or cardamom, stimulates the secretion of digestive enzymes which also leads to better digestion and improve appetite. Furthermore, adding a bit of powdered cinnamon to your soup or any other food will help to restore your lost appetite. You can also chew on cardamom seeds for better appetite.
Cardamom helps to Get Rid of Hiccup
The anti-spasmodic benefits of cardamom or elaichi can help to get rid of hiccups. Not only hiccups , but it also can provide relief from other involuntary muscle spasms, like stomach and intestinal cramps.
Cardamom aids in Weight Loss
Cardamom has the ability to boost energy metabolism and thus helps the body burn more fat efficiently, which leads to weight loss.
Nutritional Facts about Cardamom
According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, 100 gm of cardamom contains 300 kcal of energy, 68 gm of carbohydrates, 11 gm of protein, 28 gm of dietary fiber and no cholesterol.
Here is a cardamom recipe for you
Cardamom Honey Chicken
- 6 chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp sherry or orange juice
- 1 tsp freshly ground cardamom seeds
- one lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp ground peppercorns
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Then warm the honey and add the orange juice, ground cardamom, and peppercorns. Use this mixture to marinade the chicken. Cover and let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Then heat the coconut oil in a large frying pan at medium high heat. Then sear the chicken, skin side down, until golden.
- Next place the lemon slices in a roasting pan. Also place the chicken pieces on top. Brush with the marinade and then season generously with salt and pepper.
- Bake until done. Remove from oven and allow to rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Pour the dripping from the pan to make gravy. Serve over rice.
Hope you found this article on the benefits of cardamom helpful. Do share your feedback below 🙂