25 Best Tips for Long Hair – Effective Remedy for Short Hair – Thick, black and long hair has its own charm. Some people may argue that short hair looks trendy. We cannot deny, but neither can we take our eyes off Rapunzel’s long locks. Not everyone can grow their hair long. Firstly its time consuming, you cannot reach your desired length in a couple of months. Secondly, its hard to maintain. Long hair needs proper maintenance, so you need to invest lot more time from your hectic schedules. Also some times genetics play a vital role and our hair don’t seem to surpass a certain length. Then, there are people who struggle with brittleness and hair breakage. If you are also struggling to grow your hair long, then do check out this article on 25 Best Tips for Long Hair.
Check – Top 12 Simple Home Remedies for Dandruff
Causes for Lack of Hair Growth
At some point in our life, we look at the mirror and think “why don’t my hair grow any longer?” Our hair actually do not stop growing. But there are certain factors that slow down the growth rate of our hair and then it seems like our hair growth has stopped. Below we have discussed some of the main causes of lack of hair growth.
Check – You Must Try These 3 Chic Half-Up Ponytail Hairstyles
- Not trimming regularly – Sometimes we do not go for regular trimming because we want to grow our hair long. But still we find that our hair is not growing. According to experts, our current hair care routine determines how long our hair will grow. After reaching the maximum length, the ends of our hair begin to break instead of growing longer. So its important that we change our hair care routine. But even before that we need to trim the ends of our hair to get rid of the split ends.
- Genetics – Genetics is another reason behind not being able to grow long hair. We all have individual hair cycle growth phase. This means that there is a certain length that our hair can possibly reach without being cut or damaged. The growth phase is largely determined how long our hair would grow. Some people have short active phase of growth. On the other hand, people who have long active phase of hair growth do not face difficulty in growing long hair.
- Age – We know that aging brings along a lot of complications. As we age, our hair start getting weaker. Studies have shown that over time the biology of our hair can change and it can affect the growth stage. For example, if an individual has 5 year anagen period (growth period of hair), a single hair strand will continue growing for 5 years before it enters the resting phase. But as we age, this anagen period tends to shorten, which means that our hair will grow for less time before entering the resting phase and will ultimately shed off. So this way our hair begin to shed faster with age and look thinner and shorter.
- Hair Breakage – This is one of the worst enemies of long hair. Your hair may appear not growing as you desire, but the reality could be that your hair is actually breaking after reaching a certain length. Frequent hair wash, hair styling, wrong technique of brushing as well as bleaching can lead to major hair breakage. According to experts, our hair grows approx half an inch each month and if it is continuing to break at about the same rate, you are going to see very little or almost no growth.
- Unhealthy Scalp – Healthy hair start with healthy scalp. So, if our scalp is unhealthy, our hair growth gets affected. Frequent usage of oil and other scalp products can block the hair follicles and stunt our hair growth. Our scalp cannot breath and hair cannot grow.
- Improper Diet – This is another reason why our hair don’t seem to grow long. Experts say that it is important to have right levels of ferritin, zinc and vitamin B12 to maintain our desirable length of hair. Adequate iron and protein are must for strengthening of our hair and to prevent brittleness and breakage of hair.
- Stress – Stress does no good to our health. And the same goes for our hair. High levels of stress can cause our hair growth to stop. Physical and emotional stress can disturb our hair’s normal growth cycle and also cause massive hair loss.
Those were some of the main factors that stunt our hair growth. Lets concentrate on the solutions now. Below we have discussed some of the best tips on how to grow long hair. Take a look!
How to Grow Long Hair
For those who are lucky, beautiful, healthy and long hair grows without much effort. But for the rest of us, it takes a lot of patience, effort and some very important changes in our hair care regime. Lets find out the best long hair tips below.
1. Trim Your Hair Regularly
The secret to grow long hair is to cut it regularly! Yes, it may sound weird, but regular trimming is important to grow long hair. Getting regular haircut will not help your hair grow any faster, but this will give relief from split ends. Split ends, as we all know, can stop our hair growth altogether. So when we eliminate the reason that stunts our hair growth, it means we are creating the best environment for our hair to grow long and beautiful. This is the most basic yet most important tips on how to get longer hair.
2. Brush Your Hair at Night
Going to bed with un-brushed hair is not a good habit. If you want to know the best long hair tips, do note down this one. Give your hair few quick strokes at night. Start from the scalp and then slowly move on to the lengths of your hair. Use a boar bristles brush as it will help you to distribute our scalp’s natural oil onto the hair so that our hair strands remain moisturized naturally. Moreover, brushing also improves circulation on the scalp and keep the scalp healthy which is very important for better hair growth and maintaining long hair. This is another very important long hair tips.
3. Long Hair starts with a Healthy Scalp
Next on our list of tips on how to get long hair is this one. Having a clean, clear and healthy scalp is super important for the overall health of our hair. Our hair is like a tree and when you take good care of the soil and roots, the tree grows tall. Clean your scalp regularly and use healthy and natural ingredients. This ensures a healthy scalp as well as long hair that shines with beauty and health. In case you are wondering how to know how healthy your hair is, here is a little test suggested by celebrity hair stylist Chaz Dean –
Hold up a section of your hair at the crown. If your hair is healthy inside out, it should have same thickness from root to tip. But if you notice that your hair ends are thinner, then its time to bring some changes to your hair care routine. This test is known as “root lift” test.
4. Skip Daily Shampooing
If you are looking for tips on how to grow long hair, then start with the basics, like your hair washing habit. No need to shampoo your hair daily. The more you shampoo, the more friction your hair is facing and it’s interrupting the hair growth. When you shampoo your hair, be gentle. Don’t rub your hair vigorously in between your palm and always use fingertips and never use nails.
Check – Best Homemade Protein Hair Mask for Dry and Damaged Hair
5. Don’t Forget Your Conditioner
Another very important long hair tips is to make conditioner your hair’s best friend. We often underestimate the importance of conditioner, but conditioner is must for good hair. Frequent use of heat styling tools, chemical based treatments and lack of nourishment make our hair thinner towards the end. Regular application of conditioner restores the lipids and proteins inside our hair shaft, seals the cuticles and also prevents further damages.
6. Take Regular Head Massage
Next on our list of tips on how to get long hair comes this one and many of us actually do not recognize the importance of head massage. A soothing head massage improves blood circulation in the scalp. Better blood circulation means more amount of oxygen carrying nutrients to the hair follicles and thus, it boosts hair growth.
7. Stop Brushing When Your Hair is Wet
The hair breakage mostly happens when we brush wet hair. Experts suggest not to brush wet hair, but if you still have to do so, use a brush that goes easily on the hair strands. Pick up a tangle teezer and start from the ends and then work your way up. Also make sure to brush the hair underneath and not only the top layer. Do remember this long hair tips.
8. Ditch Cotton Pillow Cases
Here comes another very important long hair tips. Choose your pillow cases wisely and opt for the satin ones. They will minimize the fraction and keep the hair smooth. Plus, less friction ensures you wake up with less tangles or no tangles at all.
9. Monitor your Diet
Our diet plays a very important role in everything, be it skin, hair or our overall health. One of the best tips that I can give you on how to get longer hair is to add vitamins to your diet. Lack of vitamins can stunt our hair growth, so make sure your daily diet contains Vitamins B, C, E as well as Biotin that help to grow long hair. If you think your diet isn’t supplying you with all the nutrients, get a supplement, which is labeled ‘For Skin, Hair and Nails’.
Check – Diet and Food For Strong Beautiful Hair
10. Say No to Hot Tools used for Styling Hair
The main reason behind hair damage is using hot styling tools too frequently. We either use blow dryer or curler iron or straightener on daily basis. They reduces the thickness of our hair strands and over time, hair loses its shine and smoothness. As a result, hair appears dry, brittle and thin. Try to opt for natural methods to curl or straighten your hair.
11. Grow Hair Long using Onion Juice
This is one of the most effective and oldest remedy for hair growth. Onion juice contains sulphur which helps in boosting collagen production in the tissues. This in turn helps in new hair growth.
In case you are wondering how to grow long hair by using onion juice, its here – First cut a few slices of onion and grate them. Squeeze out the juice from the grated onions and apply it on the scalp. Let it stay for 10-15 minutes and then rinse off with a mild shampoo.
12. Include Rosemary Oil in Your Hair care Regimen
Rosemary is an excellent herb that promotes the growth of long hair. It strengthens our hair roots as well as eliminates dandruff. It has anti oxidant properties as well as sulphur and silica that reverse hair damage. Check out how to get longer hair using rosemary. Take some olive oil/coconut oil/jojoba oil/almond oil and mix them with 2 drops of rosemary essential oil. Massage your scalp with this and let it sit for 30 minutes and then wash off with shampoo.
13. Herbal remedies using Amla
Next on our list of the tips on how to get long hair is amla. There is almost no hair concern that amla cannot cure. If hair loss is your main concern for which your hair is not growing long, then do apply amla. It not only stops hair loss, but also boosts new hair growth as well as prevents premature greying. Make a paste of 1 tbsp each of dried amla powder and lemon juice. Apply this on the scalp and then massage gently. You can also replace amla powder with fresh amla juice. Let it sit for some time and wash off.
14. Apply Egg Mask for Long & Soft Hair
While discussing about how to get long hair, its not possible to leave out eggs from our list. Eggs are rich in protein, zinc, sulphur, iron, selenium and many other vitamins and minerals. Our hair is primarily made of protein and the high protein content of the eggs helps in better hair growth. It moisturizes and nourishes the hair follicles and also the hair strands. Take an egg in a bowl and whisk it. Add a tsp olive oil and 1 tsp honey to it. Mix well and apply this thoroughly on the hair and scalp. Wait for 30 minutes and then rinse off with a shampoo.
15. Castor Oil to Get Longer Hair
Castor oil is one of the best natural ingredients that boosts hair growth and also helps to grow long hair. It contains omega 9 fatty acids and vitamin E, which help significantly in hair regrowth. Castor oil moisturizes our hair, prevents breakage and frizzing, adds natural volume as well as keep the scalp healthy.
16. Apply Ginger Juice for Healthy Scalp
Ginger is very effective in boosting blood circulation in the scalp. As a result, the scalp stays healthy and hair growth rate increases. Ginger also protects the hair follicles and facilitates hair growth. Simply grate a ginger root and take out the juice. Massage the juice on those areas of the scalp where the hair growth is less. Wait for 30 minutes and then rinse off.
17. Herbal Remedy using Horsetail Extract
Here comes another herb that works extremely well for hair growth. According to a study conducted in 2012 in the United States it has been found that horsetail is able to reduce hair fall and improve hair growth in people suffering from thinning hair. Add 1/4 cup of horsetail herb in a cup of hot water. Let it steep for an hour and then use the water as a hair rinse.
Check – 4 Fabulous Natural Hair Scrub Ideas for Beautiful Hair
18. Use Guava Leaves for Strong Hair
Next on our list of remedies for long hair comes guava leaves. Guava leaves contain certain compounds with anti inflammatory and anti oxidant properties. When applied topically it can repair the damaged hair follicles and boost hair regrowth. The anti microbial property of guava leaves help to treat scalp infections that may be preventing hair growth.
19. Get Beautiful Hair using Curry Leaves
Curry leaves contain high amounts of phosphorus, calcium, iron, vitamin A, C, etc. which are very beneficial for healthy hair growth. Along with promoting hair growth curry leaves also prevent premature greying of hairs. Add half cup coconut oil to a handful of fresh curry leaves and heat this up. When you see black residue forming at the bottom, remove the oil and let it cool down. Strain the oil and massage your scalp with this. Wait for an hour and then shampoo your hair as usual.
20. Coffee Hair Treatment
Coffee has high amount of caffeine in it which is very effective in improving hair growth. It stimulates all the factors that lead to better hair growth. Using cold coffee as a hair mask after shampooing your hair works as a great remedy to grow long hair.
21. Coconut Milk for Hair Growth
According to experts, coconut milk is one of the best remedy for hair growth because of its high amount of iron, potassium and essential fats. All you have to do is take fresh milk from fresh coconut (do not use store bought coconut milk) and add juice of half lemon and 3-4 drops of lavender oil. Mix thoroughly and massage your scalp with this. Wait for 4-5 hours and then rinse off.
22. Fenugreek to Get Longer hair
Fenugreek is a great herb that can boost our hair growth. It is a rich source of protein which is excellent for our hair. It fights baldness and the vitamin C in it boosts collagen production to keep our hair healthy. Iron in methi promotes blood circulation and potassium prevents grey hair. Fenugreek is also a great source of nicotinic acid which boosts hair growth and it also contains lecithin which re-energizes dormant hair follicles.
23. Get Healthy Hair with Lemon Juice
Here comes another great long hair tips for you all! Lemon juice is a great natural ingredient that can give us gorgeous skin, clean scalp and beautiful hair. It is a rich source of Vitamin C, B and other nutrients that encourage healthy hair growth. Plus, it contains high amount of antioxidants that protects hair cells from damage. Lemon juice eliminates dandruff, which is often the reason of lack of hair growth. It boosts blood circulation in the scalp and promotes dandruff free, healthy and long hair.
24. Use Mustard Seeds for Hair Growth
Mustard seeds is a great source of Vitamin A which plays a vital role in stimulating hair growth. It can unclog the scalp pores and allow the nutrients to penetrate deeper which in turn leads to faster and healthier hair growth. Mustard seeds have mild heating effect which works as a great stimulator for hair follicles and also boosts blood circulation in the scalp and thus, accelerating hair growth to get long hair.
Check – 15 Amazing Benefits of Mustard Oil for Skin, Hair and Health
25. Apply Hibiscus to Grow Hair
We are going to conclude this list of natural tips and remedies for long hair with hibiscus. Hibiscus is well known for its hair nourishing properties. Hibiscus has high amount of Vitamin C that boosts collagen production which in turn ensures healthy hair growth. The hibiscus flower is known for its ability to stimulate hair growth even from the dormant hair follicles. Moreover, it is an excellent conditioner for our hair that fights dryness, frizz and hair breakage and helps in getting long hair.
Above are our 25 best tips and remedies for long hair. We agree long hair is difficult to maintain, but who can deny the beauty of beautiful, black, long hair. If you want to grow your hair long and looking for best tips for hair growth, then don’t forget to bookmark this article. You can thank me later 🙂