10 Natural Remedies for Grey Hair that Actually Work – Nobody likes to look aged, but how bad it feels when you notice those grey hairs peeking their way through your hair!! And that’s why, we have come up with some super effective natural remedies for grey hair that will cover up your greys beautifully. Some people embrace their grey hair as a sign of wisdom and maturity, but most of us panic at the first signs of grey hair. But that’s about the transition which comes with age. What about premature greying? That’s just too embarrassing, right? Young adults, in their 20s or 30s, and in some cases even school-goers suffer from premature greying of hair. Mature or premature, this article will tell you about 10 best natural remedies for grey hair.
Check – Effective Homemade Hair Oil for Problem Free Hair
The most common way to cover up the greys these days is by using hair dye. And not many of us have the time to prepare hair dye at home. So naturally, we have to rely on the store bought ones. Most of them are loaded with chemicals that do severe damage to our hair in the long run, like hair fall, stopping hair growth, dandruff etc. But with natural remedies for grey hair, you are totally safe! Lets first check out the causes of grey hair before we move onto the best natural remedies for grey hair.
Check – Top 12 Simple Home Remedies for Dandruff
What are the causes of Grey Hair
Though greying is mostly associated with aging, but its not only about aging. If you think about premature aging, then aging cannot be the reason there. Then what? Well, lets find out!
- Do you know what gives hair its color? It’s the melanin that gives pigment to our hair. There are two types of melanin : Eu-melanin – contains brown and black color pigments, and Pheo-melanin that contains red and yellow color pigments. These two types of melanin combine in different proportions to give our hair its distinct color, like red, brown, black, blonde etc.
- Earlier we used to believe that loss of melanin is the main reason behind having grey hair. But this myth has been debunked by latest researches. New researches say that grey hair is the result of increased amount of Hydrogen Peroxide that actually bleaches the hair inside out. Hydrogen peroxide is a by-product of metabolism and it is constantly produced by our body cells as well as our hair cells. During our young age, this Hydrogen peroxide gets broken down quickly into hydrogen and oxygen that are harmless. But as we age, the speed gets slower and Hydrogen peroxide builds up in large amount in the hair follicles and stops the melanin synthesis. As a result, hair loses its natural color.
- High concentration of Hydrogen peroxide in our body along with other free radicals causes the signs of aging, such as wrinkles, arthritis, heart disease, etc.
Apart from Hydrogen Peroxide, there are other factors as well that can cause whitening of our hair. They are –
- Smoking – Smoking generates more Hydrogen peroxide and other free radicals in the body. And we have already seen how hydrogen peroxide can cause graying of hair.
- Stress – Our body produces catalese enzyme to counteract the excess amount of Hydrogen peroxide. Stress prevents the normal supply of catalese and it leads to graying of hair. Also stress increases the amount of free radicals which damages our hair.
- Alcohol – Alcohol also interrupts with the supply of catalese which is important to neutralize the effect of Hydrogen peroxide.
- Junk Food – According to nutritionists, junk foods are responsible for generating tons of free radicals. And when free radicals outnumber the antioxidant components in our body, the obvious result is fast aging.
- Pollution – And here pollution is not only the environmental pollution, but also from the harmful chemicals present in our soap, water, shampoo and other stuffs that we apply on hair. Also the chemicals in air purifier, floor cleaner, detergent are responsible for premature greying because they can manage to get inside our body and starts build-up in our system which in turn increases the amount of harmful free radicals.
And that’s not all. There are some other factors as well that combine to the damage of our hair. They are –
- Lack of Minerals, such as copper, iron, selenium, manganese
- Lack of Vitamins, specially Vitamin A, C and E
- Deficiency of Vitamin B12
- Lack of Vitamin D
Natural Remedies for Grey Hair
Those were the causes, now lets talk about the solution. Below we have given a list of most effective Natural Remedies for Grey Hair. Check them out!
1. Amla or Indian Gooseberry Remedies for Grey Hair
Why to use amla to cover grey hair
It’s a no brainer that amla should come first on our list of natural remedies for grey hair. Amla or Indian gooseberry probably has the answer for all types of hair problem. So, no wonder that it has the solution for grey hair as well. Amla is loaded with vitamin C and powerful antioxidants. These anti oxidants stops aging and prevent greying of hair.
How to use amla for grey hair problem
- Take some coconut oil in a pan and add few dried amla pieces or amla powder to it. Warm it up and remove from heat. Let it cool down and apply this oil on the hair and scalp. Massage well and leave it on overnight. If not possible then at least wait for an hour before you rinse it off with a shampoo. Repeat this natural remedies for grey hair once or twice a week for best result.
- You can also mix together a tbsp each of amla pulp and lemon juice. Massage your scalp with this mixture and let it stay overnight. Next morning wash it off.
2. Use Coffee for Greying Hair treatment
Why to use coffee to cover grey hair
One of the easiest ways to cover grey hair is by using a hair dye. If you are in to natural hair dyes, do use coffee to color your grey hair. Brewed coffee beans and instant coffee granules stain the hair really well. Check out below couple of natural remedies for grey hair using coffee.
How to use coffee for grey hair treatment
- Make a cup of strong organic coffee and let it cool down. Add 2 cups of leave-in conditioner (a herbal one would be better) and 2 tbsp of organic coffee grounds to the brewed coffee. Mix well and then apply on the hair. Leave it on for an hour and then wash off to get beautiful chocolate brown color on your hair.
- In a plastic bowl, take a cup of fresh henna paste, 2-3 tsp amla powder, 1 tsp coffee powder and mix all the ingredients together with some water. With an applicator brush apply this mixture on to the hair, especially on all the grey parts. Let it sit for an hour. Rinse it off with a mild shampoo. This is a natural hair dye using coffee. Following this natural remedy for grey hair once in a month is a great way to cover grey hair at home.
3. Cure for Grey Hair using Onion
Why to use onion to cover grey hair
Next on our list of the best natural remedies for grey hair is onion. We know that onions are great for hair regrowth. But many of us do not know about its ability to reverse grey hair. Onions are rich in catalese which is an anti oxidant enzyme that deal with the excess amount of hydrogen peroxide (the main reason behind grey hair). This way catalese helps to restore the original color of our hair. Along with this, the phyto-nutrients present in onion as well as the vitamin C, folic acid and copper help in delaying greying of hair.
How to use onion to stop grey hair
Check out some natural remedies for grey hair using onion below –
- Blend a small onion in a blender and then collect the juice using a sieve. Simply apply this juice on to your scalp and let it stay there for about 30 minutes. Rinse off with a very mild shampoo. Repeat this treatment for grey hair twice a week.
- You can also mix onion juice with one egg and a tbsp olive oil and apply it onto the scalp. Let it sit for 30-40 minutes and then wash off.
- One can mix onion juice with equal part of coconut oil and follow the above instructions to cover your grey hair naturally at home.
4. Curry Leaves help to prevent Greying of Hair
Why to use curry leaves to cover grey hair
Using Curry leaves is one of the best natural remedies for grey hair. This has been an age old remedy to treat grey hair. Curry leaves contains good amount of powerful anti oxidants, vitamin A, C and E as well as minerals such as calcium, iron, phosphorous, magnesium and copper. When applied on the hair it not only inhibits the growth of grey hair but also nourishes and strengthens our hair follicles and boosts healthier hair growth.
How to use curry leaves for grey hair treatment
- One of the best ways to use curry leaves as natural remedies for grey hair is by making a curry leaves hair mask. Take 1/4 cup of curry leaves and make it a paste. Mix it with half cup of yogurt and apply on to the scalp and the hair and leave it on for 30 minutes. Wash off.
- Here is another way to use curry leaves as natural remedies for grey hair. Take half cup of coconut oil and add a handful of curry leaves there. Heat this oil, let it boil until the curry leaves turn black in color. Turn off the heat and let this oil reach room temperature. Store this in a clean bottle, keep it in a place away from sun light. Apply this oil regularly on the scalp and hair to cover grey hairs naturally at home.
5. Cover Grey Hair with Blackstrap Molasses
Why to use blackstrap molasses to cover grey hair
This is one of the most amazing natural remedies for grey hair. In case you are wondering what black strap molasses is, well it is a thick dark liquid that is obtained during the sugar making process. It is actually the left over liquid after removing the sugar crystals. Blackstrap molasses are considered as one of the best natural remedies for grey hair because it is rich in copper which is very helpful in melanin production. Also the blackstrap molasses provide almost 14% of the daily recommended dose of copper. Furthermore, it also contains other minerals such as iron, selenium and magnesium which also help in covering grey hairs naturally.
How to use blackstrap molasses as natural remedies for grey hair
Blackstrap molasses are available online. This is only for eating purpose. Eat a tbsp of blackstrap molasses every alternate day for few months on regular basis to see positive results.
6. Use Bhringaraj for Grey Hair
Why to use bhringaraj for treating grey hair
Next on our list of most effective natural remedies for grey hair is bhringaraj. This is a very well known herb that works wonders for our hair. It is known as the king of herbs for hair growth, but it is also equally effective to get rid of the gray hair. Regular use of bhringaraj helps to make hair grow darker and thicker. It rejuvenates and nourishes the hair from within and solves all your hair woes.
How to use bhringaraj for Grey Hair
- One of the best way to use bhringaraj as natural remedies for grey hair is by making a bhringaraj hair mask. In a bowl mix 1 tsp each of bhringaraj powder, brahmi powder and amla powder. Add required amount of water and form a paste. Apply it on hair and scalp and then wait for 20-30 minutes before washing off with a mild shampoo.
- Taking bhringaraj internally is also very helpful to improve the health of your hair. Take 1/2 tsp bhringaraj powder with ghee or honey and drink it with warm water. This is a great liver tonic and a healthy liver is a secret of healthy hair.
7. Treat Grey Hair using Sage Leaves
Why to use sage leaves to cover grey hair
Sage has astringent and invigorating properties and that’s why it is considered as a perfect remedy to cover grey hair. Sage helps the melanin return to the hair strands and restore the hair color. However, one must remember that sage does not work on completely white hair, but is effective for grey hair. Not only covering grey hairs, but sage is also very effective in combating baldness and improving hair growth. Check out how you can use sage as natural remedies for grey hair below.
Check – 15 Surprising Benefits of Cumin for Skin, Hair and Health
How to use sage leaves for treating grey hair
- Take half cup of dried sage and 2 cups of water. Put the water to boil and then add the sage leaves and let it simmer for about 30 minutes on low heat. Remove from the heat, strain the water and let it reach room temperature. First moisten your hair and then use this sage infused water to rinse the hair. Do this every time you wash your hair.
- Here is another natural remedies for grey hair using sage. First prepare sage tea by following the method stated above. Then add 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar and mix both of them nicely. This sage rinse should be used as the final rinse after shampooing your hair. Do this several times in a week for best results.
8. Use Henna to Get rid of Grey Hair
Why to use henna to cover grey hair
Listing down the best natural remedies for grey hair and missing out on henna is not possible. Henna is a fabulous natural alternative to commercial hair dyes. It covers grey hair and gives a reddish brown tint to the hair. Henna also has natural hair conditioning properties. It adds volume and shine to the hair and make them silky smooth.
How to use henna for grey hair
- Mix some black tea or coffee with henna powder and cover the container. Let it sit for 4-6 hours. Just before applying this henna hair mask add some olive oil to it. Apply it all over the hair and then wait for 2-3 hours before rinsing it off.
- Soak 4 tbsp henna powder in a cup of water for about 8 hours. Prepare some black tea and let it cool down. Add this to the henna paste and further add lemon juice and amla powder to this mixture and mix all the ingredients nicely. Apply this on to the hair with an applicator brush. Let it stay for an hour and then wash off with sulfate free shampoo.
9. Treatment of Grey Hair using Ribbed Gourd
Why to use ribbed gourd to cover grey hair
I am sure many of you are not aware of this natural treatment for grey hair. Yes, ribbed gourd or ridge gourd is one of the time tested natural remedies for grey hair. It nourishes the hair roots and also helps in restoring the pigment called melanin which gives hair its natural color. Find out below how you can use ribbed gourd in natural remedies for grey hair.
How to use ribbed gourd remedy for grey hair
Take one ribbed gourd and cut it into small pieces. You need about half a cup of ribbed gourd for this home remedy. Take the pieces of ridge gourd and dry them out in shade. Putting them under the sun directly can cause loss of nutrients. Once they are dried, soak them in a cup of coconut oil for 3-4 days.
Now boil this oil (with the ribbed gourd pieces in it) on low flame till it turns black in color. Strain the oil and store it in a dark, clean glass bottle away from sunlight. Massage your scalp with this oil at least twice a week for covering up your greys naturally at home. This is one of the most effective as well as time tested natural remedies for grey hair.
10. Use Black Sesame Seeds as a Treatment for Grey Hair
Why to use black sesame seeds to reverse the color of grey hair
We are going to conclude this list of the time tested and most effective natural remedies for grey hair with black sesame seeds. This is one of the most common ingredients in our kitchen shelf. Traditional Chinese medicine believes that black sesame seeds are very effective in restoring hair color due to its antioxidant properties. It fights off the free radicals that damage cells and also triggers aging. Also, It helps to boost the melanin production which is responsible for the color or pigment of our hair. Moreover, black sesame seeds contain protein and minerals like iron, calcium, phosphorous, magnesium, and copper which play key roles in restoring the natural color of our hair.
How to use black sesame seeds as natural remedies for grey hair
- Eating one level teaspoon of black sesame seeds everyday for at least three months will give you desired result.
- One can also apply sesame oil on the hair and scalp for overall nourishment of the hair.
I hope you liked these natural remedies for grey hair that you can try at home without burning a hole in your pocket. You might not see instant result, but have patience and follow them regularly to bring a permanent change.