Acne is the worst fear for us girls. Though pretty common, but acne is the most dreaded skin issue for us. Just imagine, you are all set for a special date tomorrow and when you wake up in the morning, you find a big pimple popping up… can it get worse than this? Acne is nothing less than a nightmare and so we probably don’t leave any stone (read cosmetic) unturned to get rid of this. But do they really work? Most of them don’t! And these acne control products come loaded with chemicals. So basically in the process of getting rid of acne, we are exposing our skin to more damaging stuffs! Why not trying something natural, like peppermint oil? Check out this article to know How to Use Peppermint Oil to Treat Acne.
Peppermint oil is basically the aromatic extract of peppermint plant. Peppermint oil is well known for its various medicinal purposes. Just like lavender oil, peppermint oil is one of the most versatile essential oil in the world of aromatherapy. The key ingredients of peppermint oil include menthol and menthone. There are very few skin, mind and body issues that peppermint oil can’t help with. Peppermint oil is a great natural remedy for acne. Peppermint oil actually works in three ways to reduce acne – it soothes the irritated skin, prevents the bacterial growth that causes acne and reduces the oil production of the skin. So let’s read on to know How to Use Peppermint Oil to Treat Acne.
How does Peppermint Oil works against Acne
Peppermint oil acts as a natural cleanser when it comes to treating acne. The main causes of acne are clogged pores and bacterial growth in them. Acne occurs when our skin pores get clogged because of excessive sebum production. The dead skin cells get trapped inside the clogged pores along with the bacteria present on the skin surface. The bacteria, inside the clogged pores are responsible for acne, pimple etc.
Also read ⇓
When Peppermint oil is used on acne, it acts as a natural cleanser and gently cleanses the skin. It unclogs the pores and its anti microbial properties help to prevent bacterial growth inside the pores. Thus peppermint oil helps to prevent acne by naturally cleansing the skin. Having a clear skin helps to reduce the chances of future outbreaks. Also peppermint oil has its natural cooling properties which help to reduce the acne inflammation and soothe the irritation and itchiness that acne might cause.
How to use Peppermint Oil to Treat Acne
- The best way to use peppermint oil to treat acne is to apply a few drops of the pure essential oil on the acne affected areas directly. Do this 2-4 times per day. However, due to skin sensitivity it is advised to use the oil in diluted form.
- You can also add peppermint oil to your regular face wash, toner or moisturizer and use them just the way you do.
- Another way of using peppermint oil to treat acne is to mix few drops of peppermint oil with grapeseed or jojoba oil and then massage it on the affected areas.
Also read ⇓
Word of caution :
- Peppermint oil in its pure form is highly concentrated. So it should be mixed with carrier oils before applying on the skin.
- Use peppermint oil in small quantity. Since it contains menthol, so if you use too much it might damage the skin.
- It is advised to perform a patch test before using peppermint oil for skin to find out if your skin is sensitive towards the oil or not.
Only high quality peppermint essential oil should be used to treat acne. Avoid using peppermint perfumed oil or peppermint fragrance oils. But remember, peppermint oil is just a step to reduce acne. Healthy diet, less stress and proper skincare should be followed strictly to get rid of acne forever.