14 Most Effective Home Remedies to Lighten Dark Underarms Fast – Summer is almost here, and its time to flaunt you favorite sleeveless tops and spaghettis! But many women avoid wearing sleeveless during summer to hide dark underarms. Are you one among them? Relax, you don’t have to live with dark underarms forever. There are loads of natural remedies available that can lighten your dark underarms permanently. Yes, permanently! And in this article, we have put together the best and most effective home remedies to lighten dark underarms quickly. Most of the time, dark underarms are the reason of our certain bad habits, we are going to discuss them below. So lets get started with the best home remedies to lighten dark underarms.
Check – How to get fair hands and legs in one week
Before we move on to find the solution of dark armpits, lets first find out the causes of dark underarms. There are few very basic causes of underarms and we will find them out below.
Causes of Dark Underarms
Shaving – Most of us prefer shaving as a method to get rid of underarm hair. And shaving is a major cause of underarm darkening. Frequent shaving can cause abrasion and irritation on the delicate underarm skin and skin turn darker than the rest of the body skin color. Also, shaving only cuts the hair from the surface of the skin,and the hair follicles stay there right under the surface of the skin which gives the appearance of dark skin on the underarms.
Deodorants – We all use deodorants to avoid smelly underarms, but they also contribute to underarm darkening. Most of the deodorants contain alcohol and other harsh chemicals that cause darkening of the underarms over time. The deodorants with strong scents do the maximum damage. Go for something with a mild aroma and always check the ingredient label before buying one.
Lack of Cleansing – We use soaps on the underarms everyday, but soaps cannot clear off the dead skin cells that get accumulated on the underarms. Not many of us care to exfoliate underarms on regular basis, and that causes dead skin cells build-up. The easiest way to avoid this is by using baking soda and water to scrub the underarms and get rid of dark armpits.
Ill-fitted Clothes – Tight, ill-fitted clothes also can lead to dark underarms. Tight clothes can cause friction between clothes and the skin. Since our underarm is a very delicate area, so this friction can cause discoloration on the skin on our underarms.
Check – Namyaa Natural Skincare Intimate Lightening Serum
Bacterial Infection – The sweat accumulation on the underarms makes it the perfect place for bacteria to grow there. Bacterial infection is another major reason that lead to underarm darkening. Those who suffer from excessive sweating on the underarms are more prone to developing this.
Smoker’s Melanosis – Smoker’s melanosis is a condition that causes by tobacco smoking. It can lead to hyper pigmentation on the underarms that appear in the form of dark patches. Over time, the dark patches spread and darken the skin on the underarms completely. It continues until somebody quits smoking.
Home Remedies to Lighten Dark Underarms
Lets now shift our focus to the solution. Unless it is due to the last couple of reasons, underarm darkening can be solved easily by using natural remedies. So, lets find out the most effective home remedies to lighten dark underarms below.
1. Apply Aloe Vera to Lighten Dark Underarms
How to use aloe vera to lighten armpits
We are going to start our list of most effective home remedies to lighten dark underarms with aloe vera. Take an aloe vera leaf and cut it open. Extract the fresh gel from inside. Directly apply the aloe vera gel on the underarms and massage gently. Let it sit for about 15 minutes and then rinse it off. Repeat this treatment every alternate day to get rid of dark underarms.
Why to use
Aloe vera contains a compound known as aloesin. Aloesin can effect the melanin production on the skin. As we all know melanin is directly responsible for skin pigmentation. Aloe vera helps in reducing melanin production and thus it lightens dark underarms. The anti bacterial properties of aloe vera gel also help in soothing underarm area.
2. Lemon Remedies to Get Rid of Dark Underarms
How to use lemon to whiten dark underarms
- Take 1 tbsp of plain yogurt and add 1 tbsp of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Mix well and make a paste. Apply it on the dark armpits and massage gently for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with plain water and pat dry.
- Alternatively, you can make a paste by mixing some turmeric powder, honey and lemon juice together and apply it on the affected area. Let it sit for about 10-12 minutes and then wash it off. Repeat thrice in a week for faster result.
- Simply rub a lemon wedge on the underarm skin and then allow the lemon juice to sit on the skin for 10-15 minutes. Wash off after that. You can also put a little sugar on the lemon wedge for better exfoliation. Do this 3-4 times in a week to lighten dark armpits.
Why to use
These are some of the very effective home remedies to lighten dark underarms. Lemon is well known for its natural bleaching properties. The citric acid in lemon helps in exfoliating the dark underarms and remove the dead skin cells build up. The anti bacterial and anti septic properties of lemon also help to keep the underarm area fresh and free from bacterial infection.
3. Use Apple Cider Vinegar to Lighten Dark Armpits
How to use apple cider vinegar to get rid of dark underarms
- Combine some rice flour and apple cider vinegar and prepare a thick paste. Take a hot shower and pat the skin dry. Next, apply the paste onto the underarms and allow it to dry on its own. Wash off with luke warm water. Repeat 3 times in a week to get rid of dark, patchy underarms quickly.
- Alternatively, mix together 2 tsp each of apple cider vinegar and baking soda to make a paste. Apply this on the dark underarm area and let it dry naturally. Rinse off with fresh cool water. Repeat this home remedies to lighten dark underarms 3-4 times in a week for quick result.
Why to use
Rice flour is a very effective skin whitening agent. It soothes sunburned skin and also makes skin smoother and fairer naturally. Apple cider vinegar, due to its acidic properties, helps in exfoliation and removing the accumulated dead skin cells on the underarms. Thus, it aids in skin lightening. Also, apple cider vinegar helps in killing the germs and bacteria that feed on dead skin cells of the underarms and lead to unpleasant odor.
Check – How to Use Lemon to Remove Dandruff
4. Apply Milk to Remove Underarm Darkness
How to use milk to treat dark armpits
- Take 2 tsp of full fat cream milk add 1 tsp each of gram flour and plain yogurt to it. Mix the ingredients together and make a smooth paste. Apply the paste on the dark underarms and then allow it to sit there for 10-15 minutes. Rinse it off with cold water. Repeat this home remedies to lighten dark underarms 3-4 times a week for best result.
- Alternatively, mix 1 tsp each of milk and honey. Add a pinch of turmeric and few drops of lemon juice. Mix together to make a paste. Apply on the underarm and then allow it to dry naturally. Rinse off with cold water. Repeat daily.
- Here is another wonderful home remedies to lighten dark underarms using milk. Soak couple of saffron strands in 2 tsp milk for 15-20 minutes. Add few drops of honey to it and then mix together. Apply this on the dark underarms and let it sit for 20-30 minutes. Wash off with fresh water. Repeat this remedy daily for best results.
Why to use
Milk is a rich source of lactic acid which is known for its ability to reduce pigmentation and lighten the complexion. Also the vitamins and the fatty acids present in milk nourish the skin on the underarm area, make it soft and bright. Yogurt also has natural bleaching properties that helps in lightening skin discoloration. Gram flour, or besan is an excellent natural scrub that removes dead skin cells and aids in improving skin tone naturally. Lemon is well known for its natural bleaching properties as well as its excellent exfoliating capability. Honey acts as as a skin softener, also its natural anti bacterial properties help in keeping the underarm area fresh and free from germs.
5. Orange Peel Remedy to Whiten Dark Underarms
How to use orange peel to get rid of dark armpits
Next on our list of most effective home remedies to lighten dark underarms comes this one. Peel an orange and keep the skin under the sun for few days to dry it naturally. Once it becomes sun dried, grind it into powder. Take 2 tbsp orange peel powder and also add some rose water and milk to make a paste. Now use this paste to massage the dark underarm area. Keep on massaging for 10-15 minutes and then, wash it off with luke warm water. Pat dry the area with a soft towel.
Why to use
Orange peel contains more vitamin C than the fruit itself. Vitamin C plays a huge role in skin lightening. It acts as a skin exfoliator and also rids the skin of the impurities and dead skin cells. This makes orange peel one of the best home remedies to lighten dark underarms. It also works as a natural deodorant.
6. Use Sandalwood to Get Rid of Dark Underarms
How to use sandalwood to treat dark armpits
- In a bowl, take 2 tbsp sandalwood powder and 1 tbsp rose water. Mix together and make a paste. Apply on the underarms and then allow it to sit until it gets completely dry. Rinse off with fresh cool water. Repeat daily.
- Alternatively, you can make your DIY skin whitening mask by mixing together 1 tsp each of sandalwood powder, milk, lemon juice and besan. You can also add a pinch of turmeric. Give it a good mix and then apply on the armpits. Wait for 25-30 minutes and then rinse off with cold water. Repeat regularly to lighten dark underarms.
Why to use
Sandalwood powder has natural skin lightening properties. Regular application of sandalwood powder helps significantly in lightening dark armpits. It also has soothing and cooling properties which calm down irritation or itchiness in the underarms. The sandalwood fragrance also keeps the underarms fresh and odor free. Try these home remedies to lighten dark underarms to see the result yourself.
7. Apply Potato to Lighten Dark Underarms
How to use potato to treat dark underarms
- Take a medium sized potato, remove the skin and then cut it into semi thick slices. Rub one potato slice onto the underarms and wait for at least 10 minutes. Wash off with fresh, cool water. Repeat twice a day for faster result.
- Instead of potato slices, you can also grate the potato and squeeze out the juice from grated potato. Apply the juice directly on the underarms and allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes. Wash off. Repeat this remedy twice in a day.
Why to use
Potatoes are known for natural bleaching properties that make it one of the best home remedies to lighten dark underarms. They are loaded with vitamin A, B1 ,B2, B6, beta carotene, magnesium, phosphorus and various other vitamins and minerals that nourish the skin. It contains catecholase enzyme that helps to reduce dark patches and gives clear skin. The potassium in potatoes moisturize and hydrates the skin, while vitamin B6 boosts cell production which also helps in lightening skin discoloration. Potatoes contain calcium which is very effective in healing dry skin. Also, Vitamin C in potato boosts collagen production. Thus, it controls melanin production and reduces skin pigmentation.
8. Turmeric Remedy for Dark Underarms
How to use turmeric to lighten dark armpits
- In a bowl, take 1 tsp of turmeric powder and add 1 tbsp of coconut milk to that. Mix both the ingredients and apply this paste on the affected area. Massage the skin gently in circular motion and let it sit there for another 20-30 minutes. Use luke warm water to wash it off.
- Here is another great home remedies to lighten dark underarms using turmeric. In a bowl, take 1 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tbsp corn flour and 2 tbsp lemon juice and mix together. Apply it on the skin of the underarms and then allow it to sit for 20-25 minutes. Use fresh, cool water to wash it off. Repeat this remedy twice or thrice a week for best results.
Why to use
Turmeric is an age old remedy to enhance complexion. Turmeric has the magical ability to control melanin production and that’s why it is so effective in reducing hyper-pigmentation and lightening the skin tone. Also, turmeric has the ability to protect our skin from sun damage that includes pigmentation, dark spots and also photo-aging. Turmeric has the magic ingredient Vitamin C in plenty, which helps directly in exfoliating the dead skin cells and lightens the skin discoloration.
9. Coconut Oil Helps in Underarm Lightening
How to use coconut oil to get rid of dark underarms
It is very simple to use coconut oil for lightening the underarm skin. Simply rub some coconut oil on your underarms before taking a shower. Massage for a while and then wash it off with luke warm water and a mild soap. Do this daily to get rid of dark underarms.
Check – Best 11 uses of Coconut Oil for Beauty
Why to use
Coconut oil is essential for healthy skin. The rich fatty acids in coconut oil help to moisturize underarm area and reduce the dryness. Underarm darkening can sometimes be the result of excessive dryness. Coconut oil helps to eliminate the dryness and restore the original skin color. Also coconut oil contains plenty of vitamin E. Vitamin E is well known for its ability to treat skin discoloration. This is another reason why coconut oil is considered as one of the best home remedies to lighten dark underarms.
10. Use Papaya to Get Rid of Dark Underarms
How to use papaya to treat dark underarms
- Take a medium sized ripe papaya and cut few small pieces out of that. Put them in the blender to get papaya pulp. Apply the papaya pup directly on the skin of your underarms. Allow it to sit for 20 minutes and then wash off with fresh, cool water.
- Here is another great way to use papaya to lighten dark underarms. All you need to do is to prepare papaya pulp by following the method mentioned above and then mix 1 tbsp papaya pulp with half tbsp lemon juice. Gently apply it on the dark armpits and let it sit for 20 minutes. Finally wash off with fresh water.
Why to use
Papaya is one of the best home remedies to lighten dark underarms. It contains an enzyme known as ‘papain’ which is a protein-dissolving enzyme. It breaks the dead skin cell buildup and thus, clear off the dark underarms. Moreover, it also acts as a skin softener and moisturizer. Papaya also helps in skin renewal which in turn, leads to lightening the dark patches and skin discoloration.
11. Alum to Get Rid of Dark Armpits
How to use alum to treat dark armpits
Here is one of the lesser known home remedies to lighten dark underarms. Take 1-2 tsp of alum powder and mix it with enough water to prepare a smooth paste. Before taking shower, apply it directly on the dark armpits and wait for 10-15 minutes. Wash it off in the shower. Repeat twice in a week to get faster result.
Why to use
Alum has the natural ability to maintain the pH balance of the skin. Also, it works as a great disinfectant which helps in eliminating any bacterial growth in the underarm area. Applying alum on the underarm on regular basis is very effective in reducing the itchiness of the underarm area that can cause due to bacterial infection.
12. Use Multani Mitti to Remove Underarm Darkness
How to use multani mitti in home remedies to lighten dark underarms
In a bowl, take 2 tbsp of multani mitti and add some lemon juice and enough water to make it a smooth paste. Apply this on the underarms and then wait for 10-12 minutes before washing it off with fresh water. Use this remedy 2-3 times in a week. Make sure that you remove this mask before it dries out completely, otherwise it can be difficult to remove. And it will also dry out the underarm area further.
Why to Use
Multani mitti is rich in minerals which helps in nourishing the skin. Also it has amazing cleansing abilities. When applied on the skin, multani mitti can clear up the clogged pores by absorbing the impurities off the skin. And, multani mitti is also known for its natural exfoliating abilities which helps to remove the dead skin cell build up from the underarm area and gradually lighten the patchy skin on the armpits.
13. Apply Sunflower Oil to Get Rid of Dark Armpits
How to use sunflower oil to get rid of underarm darkness
Simply massage the affected area with few drops of sunflower oil for a couple of minutes. Allow it to sit for another 15-20 minutes and then, rinse off with luke warm water.
Why to use
Sunflower oil is not a very common home remedies to lighten dark underarms, but it is certainly very effective. Sunflower oil is loaded with Vitamin E and we already know, that vitamin E is very effective in treating skin discoloration.
14. Use Egg Oil to Remove Underarm Darkness
How to use egg oil to treat dark underarms
We are going to end this list of most effective home remedies to lighten dark underarms with egg oil. Massage the affected area with a generous amount of egg oil and then leave it on overnight. The next morning, wash off with a pH balanced soap and water. Do this every alternate day to get faster result.
Check – 15 Amazing Benefits of Soybean for Skin, Hair and Health
Why to use
Egg oil contains omega 3 fatty acids which help in promoting new cell growth. Thus, it helps in replacing the dark and damaged cells with new, healthy ones and gradually lightens skin discoloration.
These were our top 14 most effective home remedies to lighten dark underarms. Hope you liked the article, thanks for reading 🙂