10 Best Natural Home Remedies for Skin Lightening and Whitening – Skin color can never be a benchmark to measure one’s beauty. But over time our skin loses its beauty and becomes victim of dark spots, pigmentation, blemishes. This article will tell you about best home remedies for skin lightening and whitening. As we age, our skin starts to look patchy, uneven and we tend to rely on makeup to hide those imperfections. Why not get a clean and glowing skin that doesn’t rely on makeup to look flawless? I am not talking about the popular fairness creams that promise the world. I have always been a firm believer in natural remedies and that’s why in this article I have put together some of the best home remedies for skin lightening and whitening.
Check – 7 Genius Mascara Tips Every Girl Should Know
Before we start exploring the best natural home remedies for skin lightening, lets first find out what causes uneven skin tone.
What causes Uneven Complexion
Uneven skin tone or hyper-pigmentation is basically irregular darkening of skin tone. Now the main cause of hyper-pigmentation is overproduction of melanin. Overproduction of melanin is not normal and also there are certain factors that can trigger this overproduction. Lets find out what are they.
Sun Exposure – By now probably we all know that sun exposure is very, very harmful for our skin. However, inadequate sun exposure is also not good, but that’s a different topic and we will talk about that later on in some other article. Repeated or too much sun exposure can trigger melanin overproduction as a measure to protect our skin from UV light. It can lead to sun tan, brown spots, age spots etc.
Pollution – One of the worst enemies of our skin is pollution. The gas and other particles present in the air in a very congested or polluted area can penetrate deep into the skin and lead to brown spots, specially on the face.
Check – 5 Affordable Best Sunscreens for All Skin Types
Hormonal Issues – Another factor that can bring a change in our complexion is certain hormonal issues in our body. One of the examples is Melasma which is experienced by many pregnant ladies. It is caused by increased hormone stimulation. Those who take contraceptives can also experience Melasma and sometimes certain cosmetics or medication can also be responsible for this.
Post Inflammatory Hyper-pigmentation – This happens after any skin injury or acne breakouts.
Aging process – This is a natural phenomenon. As we age, our skin starts to develop age spots and look patchy.
So these were some of the reasons why we get uneven skin tone or hyper-pigmentation. Now lets find out the solutions. Below we are going to discuss about some of the tried and tested home remedies for skin lightening.
Home Remedies for Skin Lightening
Everyone wants their skin color to be uniform and if that’s not the case, we want to fix the issue as soon as possible. But it doesn’t happen overnight. For instant result, we can turn to cosmetic products, such as concealers and color correctors. They help to mask the unevenness temporarily. But if you want permanent solution, then check out this list of home remedies for skin lightening.
1. Remedies for Skin Lightening using Yogurt
Why to use yogurt
We are going to start our list of most effective home Remedies for skin lightening with yogurt. Yogurt is a by-product of milk and that’s why, it is loaded with vitamins and other nutrients that work wonders for our skin. Yogurt also contain lactic acid which has bleaching properties. When applied on the skin, yogurt helps to remove dark and dead skin cells and also expose a layer of fresh, new cells.
How to use Yogurt
- Applying plain yogurt on the face and other parts of the skin which has been darkened is very helpful in skin whitening. This is actually one of the easiest home Remedies for skin whitening. Doing this once daily for several weeks will improve the complexion.
- In a bowl, take a tbsp of yogurt and half tbsp of honey. Mix both the ingredients nicely and then apply this all over the face. Allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes and then wash off. Do this daily for significant skin lightening and skin whitening.
- Here is another interesting home Remedies for skin lightening using yogurt. In a bowl, mix together 1 tbsp each of yogurt, tomato juice and uncooked oatmeal. Apply this face mask on your clean face and neck. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes and then wash off with cold water. Follow this remedy 2-3 times a week for best results.
2. Use of Lemon for Skin Lightening
Why to use lemon
Talking about the best home remedies for skin lightening and leaving out lemon is impossible. It is said that there is no better natural bleaching agent than lemon. Lemon contains citric acid which has vitamin C in it. Vitamin C is the most important ingredient for skin lightening and skin brightening. It encourages new cell growth. Also the anti oxidant components of lemon work wonders for our complexion.
How to lighten skin using lemon
- Applying lemon juice on the skin is very effective in lightening skin tone. You can apply freshly squeezed lemon juice on the face with the help of a cotton ball. You can also cut a lemon in half and rub one half of the lemon directly on to the face and then leave it on for at least an hour. Wash your face with water. Do this daily to lighten your complexion.
- Another way to use lemon in home remedies for skin lightening is by mixing 3 tsp lemon juice with 1 tsp turmeric powder. Apply this on to the skin and let it sit for 30 minutes. Wash off and repeat daily.
3. Pumpkin Mask for Skin Lightening
Why to use pumpkin
Pumpkin is loaded with anti oxidants and it also has exfoliating properties. The beta-carotene, vitamin A and C in pumpkin help in significant skin whitening and lightening. Pumpkin contains retinoic acid that cleanses dead skin cells and other impurities off the skin. Also the Alpha-hydroxy acid in it helps to add glow to the skin and make the skin supple. It also contains Vitamin C that effectively removes dark spots and makes the skin clean and clear. In case you are wondering how to use pumpkin in home remedies for skin lightening, check out below.
How to use pumpkin
- Cut a pumpkin in small pieces, boil them and put them in a blender to get pumpkin puree. In a bowl, take 2 tsp pumpkin puree and to this add half tsp each of honey and milk. Mix all the ingredients together to get a paste. Spread it over your face and leave it on for 20 minutes. This skin lightening treatment works best when used at night. Repeat 2-3 times per week for skin whitening.
- Mix 1 tbsp pumpkin puree and 2 tsp gram flour in a bowl and apply it all over the clean face. Make sure you apply it on damp skin. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes and then rinse off.
- Another way to use pumpkin in home remedies for skin lightening is by mixing pumpkin pulp and ground oats in a bowl. Optionally, you can add raw honey to this face mask. Wash your face and apply it evenly. Let it dry naturally. Oatmeal will help to remove impurities and pollutants accumulated on the skin.
- Take fresh pumpkin and put it in a blender to get a smooth paste. Add few drops of lemon juice and 2-3 vitamin E capsules to the mask. Apply it evenly on the face and rinse off after 15-20 minutes. This is one of the simplest yet most effective home remedies for skin lightening.
4. Treatment for Skin Lightening using Orange
Why to use orange
Orange is a rich source of vitamin C which plays a key role in skin whitening. It also contains vitamin A that increases blood flow to the skin surface which results in fair, bright and even toned skin. Vitamin E in orange protects our skin from sun damage and the citric acid has natural bleaching properties. And that’s not all, even orange peel has excellent cleansing properties that helps in improving skin texture and clarity.
Check – How to Use Orange for Skin Whitening
How to use orange
- Make an orange face cleanser by mixing 2 tbsp fresh orange juice, 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar and 1 tbsp honey. Apply it all over the face with a cotton pad and let it sit for two minutes. Wash off with plain water. This face cleanser deeply cleanses the skin, removes sun tan and helps to get a naturally clear and bright skin. For dry, sensitive or combination skin, replace apple cider vinegar with rose water.
- Take 2 tbsp orange peel powder and add few drops of lemon juice to it. Add some fullers earth and sandalwood powder and mix all the ingredients nicely to make a smooth paste. Optionally, you can also add some rose water to it. Apply on the face and wait for 30 minutes and rinse off. This is one of the best home remedies for skin whitening using orange peel powder. It removes sun tan and brightens up complexion over time.
5. Aloe Vera Remedies to Lighten the Skin
Why to use aloe vera
Next on our list of best home remedies for skin lightening is aloe vera. Aloe vera is a miracle ingredient for our skin, hair as well as health. Lets find out how aloe vera helps in skin whitening. Aloe vera contains a substance known as ‘lignin’ which moisturizes the skin and maintain skin elasticity. Another compound known as ‘anthraquinon’ in aloe vera is very helpful in removing the dead skin cells and thus it helps in skin whitening and also skin lightening. Aloe vera also has skin bleaching properties which has made it one of the best home remedies for skin lightening.
How to use aloe vera
Below you can find out how to use aloe vera in home remedies for skin lightening.
- Take 2 tbsp aloe vera gel, few dates, some cottage cheese, cucumber and lime juice in a mixer grinder and make a smooth paste. Refrigerate it for 10-15 minutes and then take out the mixture. Apply it all over the face with a cotton ball. Let it sit for 20 minutes and rinse off with water. Dates help to prevent the accumulation of melanin in our skin. Cucumber juice, lime juice as well as cottage cheese- everything has significant bleaching properties and that’s why this face pack is considered as one of the best home remedies for skin lightening.
- Another way to use aloe vera in home remedies for skin lightening is by mixing equal amount of brown sugar and aloe vera gel to make a scrub. Apply it on the face and gently exfoliate. Wash off with plain water. This scrub removes dead skin cells to unveil a clearer and brighter skin. Sugar has glycolic acid in it which helps to make skin fairer.
6. Skin Whitening Mask using Papaya
Why to use papaya
Papaya contains papain enzyme. Papain is a protein-dissolving enzyme which helps to get rid of acne. Moreover, it also functions as an exfoliator, skin softener and moisturizer. When applied on skin, papaya helps in skin renewal and skin lightening and whitening and gives beautiful glowing skin. Check out below to know how to use papaya in home remedies for skin lightening.
Check – 7 Awesome Beauty Secrets of Papaya
How to use papaya
- Mash the papaya and get papaya pulp. Then make it a smooth paste and apply the pulp all over your clean skin. Let it sit for 20 minutes and then wash off with normal water. Do this home remedies for skin lightening daily for faster result.
- Here is another excellent home remedies for skin lightening using papaya. Mix a tbsp papaya pulp with half tbsp lemon juice and apply on to the face. Allow it to sit for 20 minutes and then wash off with normal water. This pack will get rid of excess oil and also lighten the scars and marks.
7. Turmeric for Skin Whitening
Why to use turmeric
Turmeric has the ability to control melanin production and thus, helps to reduce hyper-pigmentation and lightens the skin tone. Melanin is the substance that determines our skin complexion and you can check above to find out how it does so. Apart from melanin, sun damage is another factor that contributes to skin darkening and turmeric protects our skin from sun damage that includes pigmentation, dark spots and also photo-aging. Vitamin C present in turmeric plays a key role in skin brightening and whitening. For all these reasons turmeric is considered as one of the most effective home remedies for skin lightening.
How to use turmeric
- This is how you can use turmeric. Take 1 tsp turmeric powder and add 1 tbsp coconut milk to that. Mix well to make a paste and apply it on the face. Massage the skin gently in circular motion. Wait for 20-30 minutes and wash off with warm water. This is an amazing home remedies for skin lightening for dry skin.
- Here is another skin whitening remedy using tumeric. Take 1 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tbsp corn flour and also 2 tbsp lemon juice in a bowl and mix together to form a paste. Apply it on the skin, allow it to sit for 20-25 minutes and then wash off with cold water. Follow up with a moisturizer. Do this home remedies for skin lightening twice or thrice a week for best results.
- Mash 1/4th of an avocado to make a smooth paste. In a bowl, take 1 tsp turmeric, some yogurt and the avocado paste and mix everything nicely. Apply it on the face and then leave it on the face for 15-20 minutes. Rinse off with lukewarm water. Repeat this treatment thrice a week for best result. Not only one of the best home remedies for skin lightening, but this face pack also works as an excellent anti aging treatment.
8. Red Sandalwood Powder Facepack for Skin Lightening
Why to use red sandalwood powder
Next on our list of best home remedies for skin lightening is red sandalwood powder. Red sandalwood powder is a great way to nourish our skin as well as keep it healthy, fair and glowing. Red sandalwood is also a savior for dull, lifeless skin. It is one of the best natural remedies for anti aging. This ingredient is known for its efficacy to treat uneven, patchy skin, remove sun tan, pigmentation, marks and give even-toned, glowing skin. It is a boon for oily, acne-prone skin. It controls excess oil and also treat large pores that can lead to severe breakouts.
How to use red sandalwood powder
- In a bowl, take 1-2 tsp red sandalwood powder and mix it with 1-2 tbsp raw milk to prepare a thick paste. Apply it onto the face and let it sit for 20 minutes. Wash off with lukewarm water. Red sandalwood powder is an excellent exfoliator that removes every trace of dirt and impurities from the skin and also lighten and brighten skin complexion. This is one of the amazing home remedies for skin lightening using red sandalwood powder.
- Take 3-4 tsp of red sandalwood powder and add some tomato juice to it to make a paste. If the mixture appears powdery, add some rose water or plain water. Apply this face mask all over the face and wait till it gets dry. Wash off with plain water. This is a great face pack to remove sun tan and is considered as one of the best home remedies for skin lightening.
9. Skin Whitening using Green Tea
Why to use green tea
Green tea is packed with vitamins and also essential nutrients that make it a great natural home remedies for skin lightening. It improves our skin’s elasticity, flushes out toxins, heals blemishes and scars and also reduces inflammation. Green tea contains a compound known as Oligomeric Proanthocyanidins, which is a natural exfoliator. It removes impurities from the skin and also help to lighten complexion. The natural astringent properties of green tea help to shrink large pores and also fades away spots and marks. Also the antioxidant properties of green tea protect our skin from harmful UV damage.
Check – 15 Amazing Benefits of Green Tea for Skin, Hair and Health
How to use green tea
- Take one used green tea bag, cut it open and pour the tea leaves into a bowl. To this, add a pinch of turmeric, 1 tbsp milk powder and also 2 tbsp gram flour. Also add some rose water and mix all the ingredients to make a paste. Apply it all over the face and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Here is another amazing home remedies for skin lightening using green tea. Brew some green tea and transfer it into a bowl and let it cool down a bit. Add some rice flour as well as 1 tbsp raw honey and combine all the ingredients to make a semi-thick paste. Wash your face with lukewarm water and apply this green tea mask all over the face. Let it dry naturally and spray some water on the face. Gently scrub off the face mask.
10. Skin Lightening using Strawberry Mask
Why to use strawberry
The last one on this list of top home remedies for skin lightening is strawberry. Strawberries are loaded with vitamin C, polyphenols and also AHA which are great for our skin. They are rich source of salicylic acid that fights off acne as well as pimples. Moreover, strawberries contain omega-3 fatty acid that is very effective in lightening our complexion and fading away dark circles. Vitamin C present in Strawberries boosts collagen production and improves skin texture as well as minimizes the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
How to use strawberry
Check out below to know couple of home remedies for skin lightening using strawberry.
- Take 4-5 strawberries, cut them into small pieces and mash them using a fork. Add one tbsp each of lemon juice and yogurt to it. Also add some honey. Mix well and apply it on the face. Once dried, rinse it off.
- Take 2-3 strawberries, few black grapes and also couple of ripe papaya pieces and put them in the blender and blend to form a smooth paste. Apply a thick layer of this face pack on the face and wait for 20-25 minutes. Wash off.
So, there you have some of the most effective home remedies for skin lightening. I hope you found the post helpful. Thanks for reading 🙂