12 Amazing Home Remedies for Puffy Eyes using Cucumber – Just like dark circles, puffy eyes also make us look aged, ill and tired! Puffy eyes can be very frustrating, because they don’t seem to go away! In this article, we will tell you the best home remedies for puffy eyes using cucumber. Cucumber is a very popular natural solution for puffy eyes. It can be used alone, but when coupled with other natural ingredients, cucumber can produce amazing results. Puffy eyes can be a result of lack of sleep or other reasons like fluid retention, hormonal imbalance, alcohol consumption, pollution, exposure to bright light etc. Other natural ingredients, like cucumber, aloe vera, milk etc are extremely beneficial to fight off puffy eyes. Lets find out some of the best home remedies for puffy eyes using cucumber.
Check – How To Use Buttermilk For Skin Whitening
Before we go ahead and start our list of home remedies for puffy eyes with cucumber, let’s first check out the causes of puffy eyes.
Common Causes of Puffy Eyes
Puffy eyes, or swollen eyes, normally refers to the condition caused by excess fluid build up in the connective tissues around the eyes, specially on the eyelids. Puffy eyes are very common and can be caused by different things. Below, you will get to know about the various reasons than can cause puffy eyes.
Using a Heater : Using a heater in winter can cause puffy eyes. It causes dryness in the eyes and makes the eyes more sensitive. The heat can dehydrate the mucus membranes in the eyes, and the result is puffy eyes.
Lack of Sleep : Lack of sleep or bad sleep can also cause puffy eyes. We often suffer from poor sleep when we are stressed, and during such conditions, puffy eyes become even more common. Stress disrupts the salt balance in our body and can cause fluid retention in the eyes.
Check – How Sleeping Positions Affect Our Health
Seasonal Allergies : Seasonal allergies are one of the main reasons behind getting puffy eyes. When our body is troubled with any allergy, it releases histamine which can cause inflammation in the eye area.
Bad Diet : Another reason for puffy eyes is bad diet, to be specific, diet which is high in sodium. Excess sodium level in the body can lead to bloating and fluid retention in different parts, including the eye area.
Alcohol : Too much of alcohol consumption can dehydrate our body. Since our eyes are extremely sensitive, so this dehydration can lead to puffiness in the eyes.
Thyroid Gland : An overactive thyroid gland can also cause puffy eyes.
These were some of the main reasons for getting puffy eyes. Now, lets find out, how cucumber can help us in treating puffy eyes.
Benefits of Cucumber for the Eyes
- Fluid build up is one of the major reasons for puffy eyes. Cucumbers contain ascorbic acid and caffeic acid. And these acids are very effective to restrict the fluid retention under the eyes and reduce the puffiness.
- Cucumbers have natural astringent properties. Cucumber juice is a natural astringent, which is very beneficial in lifting saggy skin as well as increases skin elasticity.
- Sometimes puffy eyes are accompanied with irritation. Cucumber is known for its soothing and cooling properties, which is very effective in reducing the irritation and the tired look of the eyes.
- Also cucumbers are rich in anti oxidants and flavonoids. These are very beneficial to soothe inflammation and thus reduce the puffiness gradually.
- Cucumber’s natural cooling properties are quite effective in decreasing the blood flow around the eyes which in turn brings down the puffiness under the eyes.
Home Remedies for Puffy Eyes using Cucumber
These were the best benefits of cucumber for our eyes. Now lets find out how to make use of these benefits in various home remedies for puffy eyes.
1. Chilled Cucumber Slices to Treat Puffy Eyes
How to prepare chilled cucumber slices for puffy eyes
We are going to start our list of best home remedies for puffy eyes using cucumber with this simplest one. Take a medium sized cucumber and put it in the refrigerator for few hours to cool it. Take it out and then cut two slices of this cucumber. Make sure the slices are big enough to cover your eyes. Now place the chilled cucumber slices on top of your closed eyes and rest for 15-20 minutes. Then remove the slices and pat dry the eyes. Furthermore, repeat this simple tip for puffy eyes twice a day until you get desired results.
2. Use Cucumber and Potato Juice for Puffy Eyes
How to make cucumber and potato mask for puffy eyes
Mix 2 tbsp of cucumber juice and potato juice. Soak 2 cotton balls in this juice mixture and then place them under the eyes, on the swollen areas. Close the eyes and let them stay there for at least 5 minutes. Remove the cotton pads and wash off. Follow this eye mask treatment 2-3 times per day for quick result.
Check – 15 Surprising Benefits of Cumin for Skin, Hair and Health
This is a great way to use cucumber in home remedies for puffy eyes. In fact, potato juice has a substance known as catecholase, which is quite effective in bringing down fluid retention under the eyes. This in turn, reduces the puffiness from the eye area. This combination of potato and cucumber juice is one of the best home remedies for puffy eyes.
3. Cucumber and Rose Water Eye Mask
Steps to prepare cucumber and rose water mask to treat puffy eyes
Here we bring you another very effective home remedies for puffy eyes using cucumber. Mix together one tbsp each of cucumber juice and rose water. Soak a cotton ball in this mixture and then apply it on the puffy areas under the eyes. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes and then use cold water to rinse it off. Repeat this simple treatment for puffy eyes at least 3 times in a day for few days to get effective result.
Rose water, itself is a great natural remedy to fix puffy eyes. It has soothing and cooling properties that effectively bring down the irritation and tiredness. Also the anti inflammatory properties of rose water play a vital role in reducing the swelling and the redness from the eye area.
4. Treat Puffy Eyes with Cucumber and Aloe Vera
How to prepare cucumber and aloe vera mask
Mix together 2 tbsp of cucumber juice and aloe vera gel. Stir until you achieve paste like consistency. Put this in a small bowl and also refrigerate for few hours. Apply this paste under the eyes before going to the bed at night. Use your ring finger to gently massage the paste under your eyes. Next morning wash off with cold water. Doing this every night for few weeks will help to get rid of puffy eyes soon.
Cucumber is known for its antioxidant contents which help to soothe inflammation. Aloe vera gel, too, is high in antioxidants that helps to bring down the swelling of the eyes. Aloe vera gel also contains vitamin E which helps to prevent under eye wrinkles as well. This is one of the easiest, yet very effective home remedies for puffy eyes.
5. Cucumber and Coconut Oil Remedy for Puffy Eyes
How to make cucumber and coconut oil solution to fix puffy eyes
This is one of the simplest home remedies for puffy eyes using cucumber. First take a medium sized cucumber, peel it and then cut into small pieces. Put the pieces in a blender. Now add 1/4 cup aloe vera gel and 2 tbsp coconut oil. Blend to get a smooth mixture. Next, pour this mixture in an ice tray and place it inside the freezer. Wait till they form ice cubes. Take out 2 ice cubes and gently rub them around the eyes. After that splash some cold water on your eyes and pat dry. Do this remedy for puffy eyes every morning to get rid of under eye puffiness faster.
Check – Best 11 uses of Coconut Oil for Beauty
Furthermore, this home remedy includes the goodness of cucumber along with the benefits of coconut oil and aloe vera gel. Coconut oil is also pretty effective in reducing the accumulation of fluid under the eyes. Coconut oil also moisturizes and hydrates the under eye area which in turn helps to avoid untimely wrinkles. Aloe vera gel, due to its antioxidant properties, helps in reducing swelling as well as prevents wrinkles from appearing.
6. Use Green tea and Cucumber for Puffy Eyes
How to prepare cucumber and green tea concoction to get rid of puffy eyes
Next comes this concoction of green tea and cucumber in our list of best home remedies for puffy eyes. Here is how to do it. First make some green tea and let it cool down. Also dip two cucumber slices into the green tea and then wait for few minutes. Next, place the cucumber slices in the refrigerator for few hours. Then, put the chilled cucumber slices on your closed eyes for 10-15 minutes. Remove the slices and wash your eyes with cold water. Repeat this at least once daily to treat under eye puffiness.
Cucumber is a rich source of antioxidants which is one of the main reasons why we use cucumber for puffy eyes. Green tea, also, is high in antioxidants that helps in reducing water retention/fluid buildup under the eyes. The anti inflammatory properties of green tea helps to reduce redness, swelling and the irritation caused by puffy eyes.
7. Get Rid of Puffy Eyes using Cucumber, Honey and Chamomile Tea
How to make home remedies for puffy eyes using cucumber, honey and chamomile tea
Make some chamomile tea and let it reach room temperature. Mash up couple of cucumber slices with your hands or back of a fork. Add this mashed cucumber to a tbsp honey and put half tsp of the chamomile tea to this mixture. Also, add 1 tbsp aloe vera gel to this and mix every thing nicely. This is your DIY eye mask to fix puffy eyes. Apply the required amount of this eye mask to the affected areas of your eyes and let it sit there for about 15-20 minutes. Once done, wash off with cold water. For best results, repeat this home remedies for puffy eyes twice every day.
Chamomile tea provides a soothing and refreshing feeling to the eyes. It helps to revitalize tired eyes and thus helps to bring down the puffiness of the eye area caused by tiredness. It also has anti inflammatory properties, which bring down the swelling and redness under the eyes as well as gives relief from the irritation associated with puffy eyes. Honey also works as an excellent remedy for treating puffy eyes. It is very effective in getting rid of tired eyes and thanks to its anti inflammatory properties, honey also brings down the irritations of puffy eyes.
8. Say Bye to Puffy Eyes with Cucumber and Lemon
How to make cucumber and lemon solution to treat puffy eyes
- This is another very simple home remedies for puffy eyes using cucumber. All you have to do is mix equal amount of cucumber juice and lemon juice. Then, soak a couple of cotton pads in that mixture and gently apply them all over the eyes. Finally, place the cotton pads under your closed eyes and rest for 15-20 minutes. Wash off after 20 minutes.
- Alternatively, you can simply squeeze a lemon on 2 slices of cucumber and then place them on the eyes for few minutes and then wash off.
Lemon juice contains Vitamin C that helps in shrinking blood vessels and thus, reduces the water accumulation or fluid buildup under the eyes.
9. Cucumber and Orange Juice for Puffy Eyes
How to prepare cucumber and orange juice home remedies for puffy eyes
Just like cucumber and lemon juice remedy, this combination of cucumber and orange juice is also very effective to treat puffy eyes. You need to mix equal amount of cucumber juice and orange juice. Soak 2 cotton pads in the juice mixture and then place them over your closed eyes. Rest for 20 minutes and then wash off the eyes with cold water. Repeat this for 2-3 times per day.
Check – 7 Best Drink Juice to get Strong and Beautiful Hair
Orange juice also contains high amount of vitamin C, which helps in releasing the fluid build up in the eye area and thus reduces puffiness.
10. Remedies for Puffy Eyes with Cucumber and Apples
Steps to fix puffy eyes using cucumber and apples
Take one apple and cut it in half. Cut the half of the apple in small pieces. Take half of the cucumber and do the same. Put them in the blender and then blend until you get a thick paste. To this mixture, also add 1 tbsp of oats. Mix everything nicely and here is your DIY under eye mask ready to use. Furthermore, close your eyes and spread this under eye mask on them. Relax for at least 20 minutes. Wash off with luke warm water and then, splash some cold water. Repeat this simple home remedies for puffy eyes at least 3-4 times in a week for effective results.
Apple is high in anti oxidants, which helps in strengthening the blood vessels under the eyes and also drain out fluid build up in that area. This in turn helps in reducing the puffiness. Also apples contain tannic acid, which is very helpful in providing nourishment to the delicate skin on our eye area. The anti oxidants present in apples also help to de-stress the eyes and make them look fresh.
11. Cucumber and Yogurt Mask for Puffy Eyes
How to make cucumber and yogurt mask to treat puffy eyes
This is one of the extremely beneficial home remedies for puffy eyes. Combine together 2 tbsp cucumber juice and 2 tbsp yogurt. Keep this mixture in the fridge for about an hour. Next, take it out and apply it on the puffy areas of the eyes. Wait for 20 minutes and then wash off with cold water. Pat dry and repeat this home remedies for puffy eyes regularly for best results.
Yogurt has natural cooling and soothing abilities. It helps in reducing the puffiness under the eyes and imparts a refreshed and revitalized look to the eyes.
12. Cucumber and Milk Powder Remedies for Puffy Eyes
How to prepare cucumber and milk powder home remedies for puffy eyes
Prepare cucumber paste by blending a medium sized cucumber. Add 1 tbsp milk powder to it and then prepare a paste. Use this as an eye mask and let it sit for about 20 minutes. Wash off with cold water and then repeat this at least twice in a day for faster result.
Milk has astringent properties which helps in tightening the saggy under eye area and thus reduces the puffiness. The high amount of vitamins, minerals as well as lactic acid helps to nourish and soothe the irritated eye area.
These were our top 12 most effective home remedies for puffy eyes using cucumber. Clearly, cucumber does wonders when it comes to treating puffy eyes. But that’s not all. Cucumber has many other benefits for eyes as well. Check them out below –
Other Benefits of Cucumber for Eyes
- The astringent properties of cucumber helps in skin tightening. When cucumber slices are used on eye area, it helps in firming the skin on our eye area and prevents the formation of wrinkles and lines.
- Cucumber has natural skin lightening properties. This is why cucumber is considered as a great remedy to get rid of dark circles. It not only treats the dark circles, but also keep the skin around the eyes glowing and youthful.
- Cucumber contains vitamin C which is a very powerful anti oxidant. It helps to get rid of any irritation and that’s why, cucumber works great to bring down irritation of eyes due to any insect bite or allergic reaction to any product. Soak two cotton balls in cucumber juice and gently rub the eyes when they are closed to get rid of any irritation in the eyes.
- We know that cucumber is high in water content. It contains about 95% water which moisturizes the eye area, keeps the skin hydrated as well as acts as a great refreshener for tired eyes.
- Cucumber is a rich source of Vitamin E and potassium. These two play a vital role in the anti aging benefits of cucumber. When used regularly over a period of time, cucumber can prevent under eye wrinkles, blemishes as well as other signs of aging.
- Cucumber contains vitamin A which is an essential nutrient for good eye health. It improves vision and prevents cataract and blindness. Do include cucumber in your daily diet to reap its amazing benefits.
Simple Tips to Avoid Puffy Eyes
- Many of us are allergic to many ingredients. Whenever you decide to try any of the above mentioned home remedies for puffy eyes, do get a patch test done before to check if any of the ingredients are causing any irritation.
- Reduce your alcohol consumption. Alcohol can dilute blood which, eventually not only leads to puffy eyes, but a puffy face as well.
- If your job involves a lot of computer work over a long period, do de-stress your eyes by looking away from your system in every 15-20 minutes. This will prevent the tiredness of the eyes.
- Drink plenty of water. It will remove the toxins from the system and keep you healthy. When you are healthy from inside, it will reflect on the face!
- Try to get a good night’s sleep. Sleep is very important to avoid fluid retention under the eyes and prevent puffy eyes.
I hope you liked this article on best home remedies for puffy eyes using cucumber. We have included few tips for you as well to get rid of puffy eyes. Do let us know your favorite tricks to fix puffy eyes 🙂