Top 11 Home Remedies for Dry Skin in Winter – Dry skin, accompanied with itchiness and redness some time, is a common problem in winter. And that’s why, we have come up with this post on best home remedies for dry skin. The market is today full of nourishing and moisturizing face creams that promise the world to us, but deliver too little. And sometimes they contain all the harmful chemicals that damage our skin instead of repairing the same. And these creams or moisturizers are mostly about topical treatment, which means they work only on the surface of the skin. Home remedies for dry skin, on the other hand, work from within and nourish the skin and heal the dryness. So lets check out our best home remedies for dry skin below.
Check – Oriflame Happy Skin Nourishing Body Milk Extra Dry Skin
What Causes Dry Skin
Before we find out the home remedies for dry skin, lets first find out what are the causes of dry skin. Skin becomes dry when it loses its moisture or cannot retain it and it also happens due to the decrease of fatty acids or lipids in the skin. During winter, we often use heated air inside to keep us warm, and this heated air can also cause dry skin.
Check – 7 Steps To Flawless Makeup for Oily Skin
Frequent bathing is another factor that contributes to dryness of the skin. Using harsh soaps is another reason. Here we have listed few other reasons that causes dry skin.
- Hot shower
- Chlorinated water in the swimming pools
- Skin conditions like psoriasis, eczema etc
- Certain medications
People who have dry skin naturally face tough situations in winter. But those among us who have normal to oily skin can also face dry skin problem in winter. They can get dry patches on cheeks or other parts of the face from time to time.
Top 11 Home Remedies for Dry Skin in Winter
So here is our list of top home remedies for dry skin in winter
1. Jojoba Oil Home Remedies for Dry Skin
Why to use jojoba oil for dry skin
When it comes to dry skin problem, using jojoba oil is one of the best tips for dry skin that I can give you. Jojoba oil is almost similar to sebum, our skin’s natural oil. And that’s why it can even work for oily skin who suffer from dry patches in winter. Jojoba oil is one of the best home remedies for dry skin because it can soften our skin and gets rid of dryness. Furthermore, jojoba oil has anti inflammatory properties that soothes irritated and sensitive skin. It even boosts new cell growth. Check out these dry skin hacks using jojoba oil.
How to use jojoba oil for dry skin
- Soak a washcloth in the warm water and place it over the face. Keep it on for 5-7 minutes and remove it. This will open up the pores and allow this jojoba oil treatment to work even better. Now, massage half tsp of jojoba oil into the skin in gentle, circular motions. Wait till the oil gets absorbed and then, wipe off the extra oil with that damp washcloth.
- Here’s another home remedies for dry skin using jojoba oil – Take half avocado and a tbsp of jojoba oil. Mix both the ingredients nicely to make a soft paste. Apply it all over the face and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Rinse off with lukewarm water. This is one of the best tips for dry skin in winter.
2. Home Remedies for Dry Skin using Milk
Why to use milk to treat dry skin
Next on our list of home remedies for dry skin is milk. Milk is a great natural moisturizer for dry skin. Furthermore, milk has anti inflammatory and soothing properties that help to get rid of the itchiness that comes with dryness. Milk is considered one of the best natural tips for dry skin, because it contains lactic acid that helps to exfoliate the dry and dead skin cells and helps the skin to retain moisture. Regular use of milk on skin nourishes the skin from within and enhances our complexion.
Check – Hedonista Gourmet Milk & Clay Bath
How to treat dry skin with milk
- Check out one of the simplest home remedies for dry skin using milk. All you need is a washcloth and you have to soak up the washcloth in cold milk and place it over your dry skin. Relax for 5-7 minutes. Use another damp cloth to remove the milk from the face gently. Doing this every alternate day is very effective to heal dry skin quickly.
- Another way to use milk home remedies for dry skin is by mixing few drops of rose water with 4-5 tbsp of milk. Massage your face with this mixture gently. You can use this rose water-milk solution on other dry parts of your body as well. Let it sit for 10 minutes and then rinse off with cold water. Repeat this everyday for best results.
3. Home Remedies for Dry Skin with Banana
Why to use banana for dry skin
Here is another very popular home remedies for dry skin. Banana is not only a healthy food, but its also very healthy for our skin. Banana is a great source of potassium and potassium has the ability to hydrate and moisturize de -hydrated skin. It also contains Vitamin A that soothes dry skin, fades acne marks and smoothen out wrinkles and lines. The B-Vitamins present in banana protect our skin from damages done by free radicals. Banana also contains amino acids that nourish the skin and strengthen the connective tissues and helps to main skin elasticity. See below to find out your ideal home remedies for dry skin using banana.
How to use banana to heal dry skin
- Take half of a ripe banana and smash it using a fork. Add a tbsp of coconut oil and mix both the ingredients nicely to form a paste. Apply it all over the face and wait for 20-25 minutes. Rinse off with cold water.This is one of the most effective tips for dry skin that you can follow in winter. This is a great dry skin hacks with banana.
- Here is another simple home remedies for dry skin using banana. Take one ripe banana and smash it using a fork. Add a tsp of thick yogurt and some orange juice to make a paste. Wash your face with a mild cleanser and pat dry with a towel. Apply it all over the face and let it dry. Apply another layer and wait for 15-20 minutes. Rinse off with cold water. This is one of the most effective home remedies for dry skin. It will not only moisturize and heal dryness of the skin, but will also delay the appearances of wrinkles and lines.
4. Chocolate Home Remedies for Dry Skin
Why to use chocolate for dry skin
I know you are probably salivating already 😉 But wait a bit, in this case you have to put it as a face mask, instead of putting it directly inside your mouth! Why chocolate is one of the best home remedies for dry skin? Well, firstly chocolate increases blood flow in our skin which automatically leads to healthy, glowing and soft skin. It improves skin’s hydration and complexion as well. Flavonols present in chocolate work as antioxidants and protect the skin from damages. However, do remember, you need to grab some dark chocolate to reap all these beauty benefits.
Check – Himalaya Rich Cocoa Butter Body Cream
Simple Dry Skin Hacks with Dark Chocolate
- Check out below how you can use chocolate in home remedies for dry skin. In a bowl take equal amounts of cocoa powder and honey (about 4-5 tbsp), and 2 tbsp of maize flour. Mix together to prepare your chocolate face mask for dry skin. Also apply it all over the face and rinse off with lukewarm water after 30-40 minutes. Repeat this dry skin treatment twice a week for best results.
- In a bowl, take some cocoa powder, honey, raw oatmeal and milk cream. Mix everything together till you get smooth consistency. Apply it all over the face and let it sit for 20 minutes, wash off with lukewarm water. This is considered as a magic tips for dry skin. Do try this home remedies for dry skin and see how amazing your skin feels afterwards.
5. Avocado Home Remedies for Dry Skin
Why to use avocado as home remedies for dry skin
Next on our list of home remedies for dry skin is avocado. Avocado is a source of good fats. The fatty acids, vitamins as well as minerals nourish the skin from inside and also help to improve the texture of the skin. It contains Vitamin A which is very helpful in the maintenance of the skin, repair damaged skin and then soothes the skin to make it soft, supple and smooth. See all the home remedies for dry skin using avocado below.
How to use avocado to heal dry skin
- Cut one avocado into half, take out the pulp and mash it completely using a fork. Rub this all over the face and other parts of the body where the skin is dry and rough. Allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes and then wash off with cold water. Doing this once daily will help to get rid of the dry skin quickly.
- Here is another dry skin tips using avocado. Mash half of a ripe avocado and also add one and half cup of honey to it. Mix both the ingredients well. Apply the mixture on the skin and let it sit for 15 minutes. Rinse it off. This is a great hydrating and nourishing face mask. Apply this face mask once or twice a week to make skin soft and supple.
- Not only topical application, but drinking a glass of avocado smoothie every day will also keep your skin hydrated and moisturized from within.
6. Cucumber Home Remedies for Dry Skin
Why to use cucumber to treat dry skin
We know that cucumbers are great for our skin. It is also a great natural tips for dry skin. Cucumbers are full of water that hydrates the skin from within and helps to get rid of dry and dehydrated skin. It also contains Vitamin E which acts a great antioxidant for skin. Along with Vitamin E and water, cucumber contains silica which is very useful in retaining skin elasticity.
How to use cucumber to get rid of dry skin
- Check out these tips for dry skin using cucumber. Take a cucumber and cut it into small pieces. Throw them in a blender and whip up a smooth paste. Add a tbsp of yogurt in the paste and mix well. Apply it all over the face and wait for 15 minutes before washing t off.
- Take 1/4th of a cucumber and cut it into small pieces. Put them in the blender and add a tbsp of almond butter to it. Blend both the ingredients together to form a thick, smooth paste. Spread it evenly all over the face and wait for 10-15 minutes. Rinse off. This is a great nourishing and moisturizing home remedies for dry skin.
7. Aloe Vera Home Remedies for Dry Skin
Why to use aloe vera to heal dry skin
Aloe vera is a great home remedies for dry skin. The fresh and natural aloe vera gel is the best way to treat dry and patchy skin. However, one can also use the organic aloe vera gels that we get in the market. The polysachharide in aloe vera gel helps to retain the moisture content of the skin. Furthermore, it also helps to boost collagen and elastin production which restore the suppleness and elasticity of the skin. The anti inflammatory properties of aloe vera soothe irritated skin due to eczema or psoriasis. Below you can find out couple of best tips for dry skin using aloe vera.
How to use aloe vera to heal dry skin
- Take an aloe vera leaf and cut it in to 2 pieces (diagonally) and take out the gel present inside the leaf. Apply this fresh aloe vera gel on to the skin and gently massage, so that it gets absorbed in to the skin. Leave it on as an overnight treatment. Doing this every night will help to get rid of dry skin quickly. This is one of the simplest home remedies for dry skin.
- Here is another dry skin hacks using aloe vera. Take a tbsp of fresh aloe vera gel in a bowl. To this, add a tbsp of butter, a tbsp of dates paste (seedless). Mix them well. Add a tbsp each of cucumber juice and lemon juice and give it a good mix. Apply this face pack all over the face. Let it dry for 10 minutes. Wash off with cold water. This aloe vera home remedies for dry skin will not only keep the skin hydrated and moisturized, but will also add a natural glow to the face.
8. Almond Oil Home Remedies for Dry Skin
Why to use almond oil to heal dry skin
Almond oil is a great natural moisturizer for dry skin. It is a rich source of vitamin E, which is why almond oil is considered the best emollient and lubricator for dry skin. The anti oxidant properties of vitamin E also maintains overall skin health. The non greasy nature of almond oil helps it to get absorbed in to the skin easily. Check out below couple of best home remedies for dry skin using almond oil.
How to use almond oil to heal dry skin
- Pure almond oil is best for dry skin. Gently warm up some pure almond oil and massage your face lightly with this warm almond oil. You can use this as an overnight treatment or you can use this half an hour before shower. Not only for face, warm almond oil can be used all over the body to get relief from dry skin. This is one of the easiest home remedies for dry skin.
- Here is another dry skin tips using almond oil. Not only topical application, drinking a glass of warm milk with a tsp of almond oil before going to bed at night also lets you enjoy healthy skin.
9. Oatmeal Home Remedies for Dry Skin
Why to use oatmeal for dry skin
When it comes to the best natural dry skin tips, you cannot overlook oatmeal. Oatmeal is a great natural way to moisturize and get relief from dry skin. Oatmeal is high in protein which forms a protective barrier on the skin and prevents water loss. This in turn, also helps to maintain the moisture content of our skin. Furthermore, oats have anti inflammatory and anti oxidant properties which are very effective for the overall good health of our skin. Check out the home remedies for dry skin using oatmeal below.
How to use oatmeal for dry skin
- Pour a cup of plain oatmeal in to the bath tub filled with warm water. Add a few drops of lavender essential oil to it. Soak in this bath for 20-30 minutes. Doing this once a week is a great way to pamper your skin.
- Here is another home remedies for dry skin using oats – Mix a cup of ground oatmeal with one mashed ripe banana. Add a bit of luke warm milk to it and make a good paste. Apply this all over your dry skin and then leave it on for 10-15 minutes. Rinse it off with cold water. Use this oats face mask once a week.
10. Home Remedies for Dry Skin with Eggs
Why to use eggs to heal dry skin
Next on our list of best Home Remedies for Dry Skin is eggs. Eggs are an excellent source of protein, which makes it an excellent ingredient for dry skin. Egg yolk contains vitamin A, B, D, E and rich fats. When applied on face, egg yolk helps to get rid of the dryness from the face and leave your skin soft, smooth and supple. Check out few home remedies for dry skin using eggs.
How to use eggs for dry skin
- Take an egg and separate the yolk. To this, add 1 tsp each of olive oil, lime juice and rose water. Mix well and add 1 tbsp of honey. Combine everything together and use it on the face before taking shower. Let it sit for 15 minutes and then rinse off.
- Whisk an egg in a bowl and add some honey and coconut oil to it. Give it a good mix. Apply it all over the face. Wait for 30 minutes and then rinse off with cold water. This is one of the best home remedies for dry skin. It deeply cleanses the skin and make it soft, supple and smooth.
11. Yogurt Home Remedies for Dry Skin
Why to use yogurt as home remedies for dry skin
Yogurt is an excellent nourishing agent for our skin. It is a great hydrating ingredient as well. Furthermore, yogurt has anti oxidant and anti inflammatory properties, which are very effective to treat dry and itchy skin. The lactic acid present in yogurt exfoliates the skin and get rid of the dry and dead skin cells. Plus it also helps to get rid of any bacteria that may cause dryness or itchiness of the skin. All these properties have made yogurt one of the best home remedies for dry skin.
How to use yogurt to get relief from dry skin
- Apply fresh yogurt on your face as well as ant other parts of the body which is dry. Let it sit for 10 minutes and then take a shower. The lactic acid in yogurt will remove the dry skin and leave your skin fresh, soft and supple. Do this once daily. If you are looking for the simplest home remedies for dry skin, do try this one.
- You can also mix one and half cup of yogurt and 3 tbsp of mashed papaya. Add few drops each of honey and lemon juice. Let it sit for 10 minutes and wash off with cold water. This is one of the most effective home remedies for dry skin. Doing this once a week will make your skin soft and supple.
So this was a compilation of best home remedies for dry skin from our side. Since winter is already here, I hope you have found this post helpful. Don’t forget to share your favorite home remedies for dry skin with us 🙂