14 Easy and Effective Home Remedies for Dry Scalp – Are you suffering from dry and itchy scalp? Isn’t it very embarrassing to constantly scratch your head? Stop worrying, because here we have brought the solution, in the form of best home remedies for dry scalp. Dry and itchy scalp is not anything un-natural or a serious medical condition, unless its an infection. We need to remember that our scalp is also a part of our body skin. And it also can get dry or oily, just like our body skin does. However, the good news is that, there are a number of very effective home remedies for dry scalp that you can follow to get rid of the dryness and itchiness of the scalp. Without any further delay, lets begin with our list of simple yet effective home remedies for dry scalp.
Check – Top 12 Simple Home Remedies for Dandruff
Before we start our journey to unveil the most effective home remedies for dry scalp, let’s first find out what are factors that can cause dry scalp.
What can Make Our Scalp Dry
Many at times, different hair and scalp conditions, like dry hair, hair fall or dry scalp can be the result of any underlying health conditions. But sometimes, it can be caused by lifestyle choices, like the hair products we use, our hair care routine etc. Let’s try and find out what are the different factors that can make our scalp dry.
Check – 10 Best Hair Growth Oils in India
Hair Care Products
Sometimes, the hair care products that we use contain certain chemicals that can cause dryness and itchiness of the scalp. At times, they can lead to scalp acne as well. Using chemical based shampoos or other hair products on daily basis, can strip our scalp off its natural oil and cause scalp dryness. If you’ve recently changed your hair care products and started noticing dry scalp for a while, the chemicals in those products are to be blamed for.
Extreme Weather Conditions
This is another reason of scalp dryness and itchy scalp. Many of us suffer from dry skin issue in cold weather and according to experts, the same can happen to our scalp as well. Dry scalp can be the result of lack of oil secretion from the sebaceous glands present on the scalp. When your hair gets extremely dry, it sucks the moisture out of your scalp and the result is extremely dry and itchy scalp.
Lack of Hydration
Lack of hydration is one of the most common reasons that cause scalp dryness. Dehydration can happen in extreme weather condition, but sometimes we are to be blamed for our body’s internal hydration. Not drinking enough water is the main cause of suffering from hydration. Our body is about 70% water and that’s why, water is the most important ingredient to keep our body healthy and hydrated.
Different Lifestyle Choices
These also play vital roles in developing scalp dryness. Poor eating habits, using birth control pills, intolerance to gluten, going to bed with wet hair etc can damage our health, hair as well as scalp.
Stress never does anything good to our health. When an individual suffers from excessive stress for a long time, it can trigger hormonal changes, which in turn, can disturb the pH balance of the scalp and lead to scalp dryness. Also, stress can make our skin more sensitive. And the hair care products you regularly use can have a different reaction due to the increased sensitivity of the skin. So, you have already seen how stress can affect our health as well as beauty.
Check – Is Hair Fall making you More Stressful
Infections, like eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis is a common cause of dry, itchy and flaky scalp. Scalp eczema can cause the scalp to become red and extremely itchy.
Best Home Remedies for Dry Scalp
Lets now talk about the solutions. Below we are going to list the simple yet most effective home remedies for dry scalp.
1. Hot Oil Massage
How to use hot oil massage to remove scalp dryness
Let’s begin our compilation of most effective home remedies for dry scalp with this one. Oil does a world of good to our hair, yet we, the modern generation, avoid oiling for its annoying stickiness. However, if you are suffering from dry scalp, hot oil massage can be your best savior. All you need to do is take some coconut oil in a bowl. The amount of oil depends on the length of your hair. Heat the oil slightly and then massage your scalp with this warm coconut oil. Try to get your hands on cold pressed, extra virgin coconut oil for best results. Once done with massaging, cover your head with a warm towel and wait for at least couple of hours, and then wash off with shampoo. This, undoubtedly, is one of the easiest and very effective home remedies for dry scalp. Do this once or twice in a week for best results.
2. Apply Apple Cider Vinegar to Get rid of Dry Scalp
How to use apple cider vinegar in home remedies for dry scalp
Next comes apple cider vinegar in our list of best home remedies for dry scalp. Apple cider vinegar is a great solution to maintain the natural pH level of our scalp and thus it prevents scalp dryness. It also has anti bacterial properties that can fight off the bacteria causing infections on the scalp and resulting in dry scalp.
- Dilute half cup apple cider vinegar with equal amount of water. Pour it over the scalp and gently massage for few minutes. Allow it to stay for at least 10 minutes and then rinse off with a mild shampoo. Repeat this home remedies for dry scalp regularly.
- Boil 3 cups of water and add a handful of rosemary in it. Let it simmer for 45 minutes and then remove from the heat. Strain the water and let it cool down. Add half cup of apple cider vinegar to the water. Optionally, you can also add few drops each of rosemary and peppermint essential oil. Stir well and then transfer the solution to a spray bottle. After washing your hair, towel dry and separate into small sections and spray the solution on to the scalp directly. You can leave it on or rinse it off. Repeat this process regularly to get rid of dry scalp.
3. Use Tea Tree Oil to Treat Dry Scalp
How to use tea tree oil to remove scalp dryness
Tea tree oil contains powerful anti fungal properties that can combat the bacteria which cause dry scalp. Also it has amazing soothing properties that can calm down the irritated and dry scalp.
- Add 6-7 drops of tea tree oil in your regular shampoo or conditioner. Mix well and use this mixture to wash your hair and scalp. Repeat this every time you wash your hair.
- Alternatively, you can use a tea tree oil rinse to soothe dry scalp. Add 5-10 drops of tea tree oil in enough amount of water. After shampooing, use this solution as the final rinse. This is one of the best home remedies for dry scalp using tea tree oil.
- In a small bowl, put 2-3 drops of neem oil, 1-2 drops of rosemary oil, 2-3 drops of lavender oil and 4-5 drops of tea tree oil. Mix well and add 1 tsp of any carrier oil like coconut oil or olive oil to this essential oils blend. Stir well and massage your scalp with this oil blend for few minutes. Leave it on overnight. Rinse off the next day with a mild shampoo. Repeat this home remedies for dry scalp at least twice in a week for better results.
4. Vitamin E Treatment for Dry Scalp
How to use vitamin E in home remedies for dry scalp
Vitamin E is regarded as one of the best home remedies for dry scalp. Vitamin E oil hydrates our scalp beautifully and its anti oxidant properties help to protect our scalp and hair from free radical damages. Also it improves blood circulation to the scalp which in turn results in healthy moisturized scalp. Get hold of 5-10 vitamin E capsules and prick them with a safety pin very carefully. Squeeze out the oil and collect it in a bowl. Add adequate amount of any carrier oil like coconut oil, olive oil or almond oil to this. Mix together and massage your scalp with this oil mixture for few minutes. Allow it to sit for at least an hour and then rinse off with a mild shampoo. Repeat this process at least once in a week.
Check – 15 Top Benefits of Almond Oil for Skin, Hair and Health
5. Olive Oil and Egg Hair Mask to Get Rid of Dry Scalp
How to use olive oil and egg hair mask to remove scalp dryness
Egg specially egg yolk, is an excellent home remedies for dry scalp. It is rich in vitamin A and lecithin sterol, which makes it one of the best solution for dry scalp. Olive oil on the other hand is an amazing moisturizer for dry skin and dry scalp. The high amount of fatty acid along with the anti oxidant and anti inflammatory properties of olive oil helps to sooth the scalp and also remove the dryness. Take one egg and separate the egg yolk. Beat the egg yolk and then add 2-3 tbsp olive oil and 1 tsp of fresh lemon juice. Mix together to prepare your DIY hair mask. Apply this on the scalp and massage gently. Let it sit for 30 minutes and then rinse off using a mild shampoo and cold water. Repeat this home remedies for dry scalp once in a week.
6. Apply Mayonnaise to Treat Dry Scalp
How to use mayonnaise in home remedies for dry scalp
Mayonnaise is the mixture of egg and vinegar. Egg, as we all know can provide deep nourishment to our scalp and hair due to its high protein content. Vinegar on the other hand can disinfect the scalp as well as maintain the perfect pH balance of the scalp. This results in healthy hydrated scalp. Take half a cup of mayonnaise and apply it on the scalp. Massage with your finger tips and once done, cover your head with a shower cap. Leave it like this for 20-25 minutes. Wash off with plain water. Repeat this home remedies for dry scalp twice in a week for effective results.
7. Get Rid of Dry Scalp using Honey
How to use honey to treat dry scalp
Next on our list of best home remedies for dry scalp comes this amazing remedy. Honey is not only moisturizing but it acts as an natural humectant. It captures moisture from environment and locks it in the scalp. Also the anti inflammatory and anti viral properties of honey makes it an ideal solution for dry scalp.
- Take half cup of virgin olive oil and warm it up slightly. Add 2 tsp honey to this and mix well. Massage your scalp with this concoction. Allow it to sit for about 10 minutes and then rinse it off using a mild shampoo. Now cover your head with a warm towel so that the moisture stays there. Repeat regularly for best results.
- Alternatively, you can use a mixture of honey, olive oil and glycerin. In a small mixing bowl, take 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 2 tbsp vegetable glycerin and 2 tbsp of organic honey. Stir well and keep the bowl aside. Now shampoo your hair and use this concoction as a natural conditioner. Rinse off after few minutes and repeat regularly for best results.
- Take some honey and add the juice of 1 lemon to it. Mix well and massage it on the scalp. Let it sit for few minutes and rinse off with plain water. Repeat regularly to fix dry scalp.
8. Aloe Vera Treatment for Dry Scalp
How to use aloe vera to get rid of dry scalp
Aloe vera gel is considered as one of the most effective home remedies for dry scalp. It has amazing moisturizing properties due to which aloe vera can soothe the dryness of the scalp. Also the cooling properties of aloe vera helps to calm down the irritations due to dryness. Take a aloe vera leaf and extract the gel. Blend it nicely. Massage your scalp with this aloe vera gel for few minutes and then let it sit for another 15-20 minutes. And then wash off with plain water. Repeat this process on regular basis to get effective results.
9. Get Rid of Dry Scalp using Yogurt
How to use yogurt in home remedies for dry scalp
Yogurt is considered as a great solution to fix dry scalp. Firstly it is amazingly moisturizing and secondly it has powerful anti bacterial and anti fungal properties that can fight off the bacteria causing scalp dryness. As a result, our scalp stays clean healthy and free from infections.
- One can apply plain yogurt on the scalp and then massage for 5-10 minutes. Now leave it like this for 30-45 minutes and then rinse off with luke warm water. Follow this remedy at least few times per week to get rid of scalp dryness.
- Alternatively, you can also use a mixture of yogurt and methi seeds. Take half cup of yogurt and to this add 3 tbsp of ground methi seeds. Mix well and apply this mixture all over the scalp. Allow it to sit for a hour and then wash off with a mild shampoo. This is an age old home remedies for dry scalp. Follow this process at least once in a week to get rid of dry scalp.
10. Oatmeal Hair Scrub to Fix Dry Scalp
How to use oatmeal hair scrub as home remedies for dry scalp
This is a natural hair scrub that you can prepare easily at home. It will exfoliate the scalp beautifully, get rid of dead cells and and provide a boost of moisturization. Also, this hair scrub will enhance blood circulation to the hair follicles and promote hair growth. Oatmeal has natural antibacterial properties which help to reduce scalp dryness and itchiness. In a bowl, take 2 tbsp each of brown sugar, oatmeal and any hair conditioner. Mix everything nicely. First, shampoo your hair, then take a small amount of this hair scrub and massage it thoroughly onto the scalp. Continue massaging for 3-5 minutes and then, rinse it off. You can use a mild shampoo (if required) to clear off the residue from the scalp. Follow up with a conditioner. Repeat this on regular basis for best results.
11. Use Honey and Brown Sugar Hair Scrub
How to use honey and brown sugar hair scrub to treat dry scalp
This is another natural hair scrub recipe. It contains honey which has antibacterial properties and amazing moisturizing abilities. Honey also contains anti viral properties. It is an amazing ingredient to soothe dry scalp. Peppermint oil is very effective in treating dandruff and other scalp irritation and impart a refreshing feeling. It also gives relief from itchiness of the scalp. Mix 1 tbsp of organic honey with 1 tsp of peppermint essential oil and some brown sugar. Wet your scalp. Alternatively, you can also shampoo your hair. Part your hair into small sections and then apply the scrub all over the scalp. Gently massage for few minutes and finally wash off with a shampoo. Condition your hair as usual and follow all the steps at least once in a week to keep the scalp clean, healthy and nicely moisturized.
Check – Easy & Effective DIY Lip Scrub for a Super-Smooth Pout
12. Treat Dry Scalp using Avocado Remedy
How to use avocado to get rid of dry scalp
Avocado, or popularly known as butter fruit, is a great natural remedy to fix the dry scalp issue. Avocado is a rich source of good fats, which makes it not only great for our health, but also for our hair and skin. Take one ripe avocado, cut it in half and remove the seeds. Take out the flesh and smash it with the back of a fork. Add 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil to the mashed avocado and a tsp of honey. Mix all the ingredients nicely and apply this hair mask all over the scalp and hair. Cover your head with a shower cup and then wait for at least an hour before you rinse it off with a mild shampoo. Repeat this avocado remedy on regular basis to keep scalp dryness at bay.
13. Apply Onion Juice to Remove Scalp Dryness
How to use onion juice as home remedies for dry scalp
Almost all of us know that onion juice is a great natural remedy to fix hair fall problem. It not only induces new hair growth, but also helps to get rid of dry scalp. The high amount of vitamins, potassium, geranium, magnesium, and sulfur present in onion juice nourish our scalp. Also, the anti bacterial and anti fungal properties of onion juice helps to keep scalp healthy. Take 2-3 onions and grind them to extract the juice. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil with 3 tbsp onion juice and mix well. Massage this all over the scalp and wait for 30 minutes. Rinse off with water and repeat regularly for best results.
Check – How to Use Onion Juice in Hair
14. Baking Soda and Tea Tree Essential Oil Scrub to Treat Dry Scalp
How to use baking soda and tea tree oil scrub to remove scalp dryness
We are going to conclude this list of most effective home remedies for dry scalp with this hair scrub. Baking soda removes all the build up from the scalp and keep the scalp healthy while also maintaining the normal pH balance of the scalp. Tea tree oil contains anti fungal properties that fight off bacteria which cause dry scalp. It has soothing properties as well that can calm down the irritated and dry scalp. Take some shampoo and add half tsp baking soda to it. Mix both of them and then add few drops of tea tree oil. Again, mix well. Part your hair into sections and apply the scrub onto the scalp. Gently massage for 4-5 minutes and then wash off with a mild shampoo. Condition as always.
There you have not 1 or 2, but more than a dozen of home remedies for dry scalp. All these treatments are simple and use very easily available ingredients. Don’t lose your sleep for dry scalp anymore, give any of these home remedies for dry scalp a try and see the result for yourself.