Most Effective DIY Hair Mask to Treat Hair Loss and Grow Long Hair – Our hair has a pivotal role to play in defining our looks and beauty. That’s why, we lose our sleep over the problem of hair loss. But not anymore, as here we have put together the most effective DIY hair mask to treat hair loss. Hair loss can be a major reason for losing self confidence. Losing about 100 hair strands on daily basis is normal. But the problem arises when it crosses the limit. Excessive hair loss and hair fall, if not treated on time, can lead to bald patches on the scalp. And we certainly don’t want you to deal with that! So, check out our list of effective DIY hair mask to treat hair loss and grow long hair.
Check – 15 Best Home Remedies and Tips to Control Hair Fall
Before we share our most effective homemade hair mask to treat hair loss, lets first find out the major causes that lead to excessive hair loss.
Causes of Hair Loss
Below you will find out the major factors that can lead to hair fall and hair loss.
Nutritional Deficiency – You are what you eat. Out food habit plays a major role in determining the state of our skin and hair. In today’s ultra modern lifestyle, it is difficult to always follow a healthy food habit, but still you need to pay some attention to your diet if you want healthy skin and healthy hair. Protein deficiency is one of the major reasons behind hair loss. Our hair strands are primarily made of protein. Protein is actually essential for most of the body functions. When you are consuming less amount of protein, the body uses all of it for important functions and your hair gets ignored.
Hormonal Imbalance – Hormonal imbalance is the main culprit behind most of our skin and hair concerns. Thyroid gland is one of the vital glands in our body. It produces thyroid hormone which balances many of our body functions. If the thyroid gland produces too less or too much hormone, it can affect us in many ways and experiencing hair loss is one of them. Other symptoms include weight loss, weight gain, changes in heart rate etc. Women also suffer from hair loss post-pregnancy or while taking birth control pills. PCOS or Polycystic Ovary Syndrome is another cause of hair loss which is also associated with hormonal imbalance. PCOS is a condition where the female body produces more androgens than normal and it leads to hair growth on different body parts, but can lead to loss of hair on the scalp.
Check – 8 Common Misconceptions About Weight Loss
Stress – Extreme stress can also cause sudden hair loss and it can continue for several months as well. Learn to relax. And try meditation, aromatherapy bath, reading, spending time with your loved ones can really help you to deal with stress.
Wrong Hair Products – Hair products that contain SLS and other toxic chemicals must be avoided. Go for hair care products which are natural and try to use natural remedies as much as possible. They are totally safe for our hair and cost you way less than what you spend for the chemical based ones.
Medical Conditions – Certain medical conditions can also cause hair loss. Scalp Psoriasis is one such medical condition that can cause severe hair loss problem. Also, alopcia areta, ringworm, seborrhea dermatitis etc also can lead to increase shedding of hair.
Aging – This is a no brainer actually. As we age, our hair growth rate slows down. Also, hair length becomes shorter, hair gets finer, thinner, have less pigment and turns grey. This is a natural process.
Check – 10 Natural Remedies for Grey Hair that Actually Work
Genetics – Genetics play a vital role in determining how our skin or hair would be. Hereditary hair loss is a serious problem. Though, mostly it happens during our 50s and 60s, but it can occur any time and at any age. In that case, one must see a specialist and undergo cosmetic treatments such as hair grafting, scalp reduction etc.
DIY Hair Mask to Treat Hair Loss
These were the major reasons behind increased loss of hair. Now, lets get started with the list of best effective DIY hair mask to treat hair loss.
1. Egg Hair Mask
How to make egg hair mask to treat hair loss
- Add a tsp each of olive oil and honey to one whole egg (whisked). Mix everything well and apply this hair mask on the hair and scalp. Wait for 30-40 minutes and then rinse off with a shampoo and cold water.
- Alternatively, take 1 whole egg in a bowl, whisk it and add a cup of milk and 2 tbsp each of lemon juice and olive oil. Mix everything together and apply all over the hair and scalp. Wear a shower cap and wait for 20-30 minutes. Wash off with shampoo and cold water.
- Beat one or two eggs (depending on your hair length) and mix it with 1 tbsp of almond oil. Apply this hair mask to treat hair loss all over the hair and scalp. Leave it on for 30-40 minutes and wash it off using a mild shampoo and cold water. Follow up with a conditioner. This is a complete hair care treatment for all types of hair.
Egg is the power house of several nutrients that help us to deal with hair fall and hair loss. It is a rich source of sulfur, phosphorous, selenium, iodine, zinc and most importantly, it contains a high amount of protein. Protein is the building block of our hair strands, hence it is essential to fight hair loss. Lack of vitamin D is a big reason that causes hair fall. Egg contains Vitamin D which not only fights of hair fall, but also improves the texture of hair. The B vitamins in egg also encourages hair growth.
2. Onion Juice Hair Mask
How to prepare onion juice hair mask to treat hair loss
- Take one onion, remove the skin and grate it. Squeeze out the juice from the grated onion and collect it in a bowl. Soak a cotton pad in that onion juice and then apply the juice on the scalp with the help of that cotton pad. Massage the scalp lightly for couple of minutes and also keep it on for next 30 minutes. Use a mild shampoo to wash it off.
- Alternatively, you can combine onion juice with 1 tsp honey and 2-3 drops of lavender essential oil. Massage your scalp with this mixture. Wear a shower cap and wait for at least an hour. Use a mild shampoo to remove it all.
- Here is another great hair mask to treat hair loss using onion juice. In a bowl, take 3 tbsp onion juice, 2 tbsp aloe vera gel and 1 tbsp olive oil. Mix together and then apply it all over the scalp. Wait for 30-40 minutes and then wash off.
Onion juice is popular for its ability to stop hair loss and induce new hair growth. It contains high amount of sulfur, which actually does the magic on the hair. Also, it contains Vitamin B1, B6, C, Copper, dietary fiber, biotin, manganese, potassium, phosphorus and folate. All these nutrients are essential for healthy hair. Topical application of onion juice promotes blood circulation to the scalp, boosts collagen production and also prevents hair loss. The anti bacterial properties of onion juice kill the germs that might cause hair loss. Sometimes dandruff can also lead to increased hair fall and hair loss, and onion juice is beneficial in dandruff treatment as well. According to a study published in the Journal of Dermatology in 2002, people suffering from alopecia experienced significant hair re growth after using onion juice on the scalp.
Check – Homemade Potato Facial Bleach for Clear and Fair Skin
3. Banana Hair Mask
Banana hair mask preparation
Next comes banana on our list of best DIY hair mask to treat hair loss recipes.
- Mash one medium sized ripe banana using a fork. In a separate bowl, mix 2 egg whites, 4 tbsp milk, 3 tbsp honey Add this mixture to the mashed banana and then combine everything nicely. With the help of a brush, apply this hair pack on the hair and scalp. Once done, wear a shower cap and then wait for 30 minutes and then wash it off with shampoo.
- Alternatively, mash 2 ripe bananas and add this to a mixture of olive oil, coconut oil and honey (1 tbsp of each). Apply this thoroughly on your scalp and hair and also cover your entire head. Keep it on for 10-15 minutes and wash off with luke warm water and a mild shampoo.
- Beat one egg in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine one mashed banana, 3 tbsp yogurt, 2 tbsp honey and some olive oil. Then add the beaten egg. Mix all the ingredients nicely and then apply it to the hair and wait for an hour. Wash off with a shampoo and follow up with conditioner.
Bananas contain potassium, vitamins, natural oils and along with its anti oxidants properties, these nutrients work wonders for our hair. No wonder it is considered as one of the best natural remedies for hair loss. Banana hair mask is not only a great hair mask to treat hair loss, but it also reduces dandruff, moisturizes the hair strands and makes our hair soft and shiny.
4. Aloe Vera Gel
How to prepare aloe vera gel hair mask to treat hair loss
- Using aloe vera gel on its own is a great way to combat hair loss. Take an aloe vera leaf, cut it open and extract the gel. Apply the aloe vera gel directly on the scalp and then massage gently. Wait for 2-3 hours and wash off with luke warm water. Carry out this treatment 2-3 times in a week.
- Here is another great aloe vera hair mask to treat hair loss. Combine some aloe vera gel, 2 egg yolks (depending on your hair length) and 1-2 tsp coconut oil or olive oil. Furthermore, apply this hair mask on your hair and scalp. Wear a shower cap and then wait for 30-45 minutes and wash off with cold water and shampoo.
- Collect few fresh hibiscus flowers, separate the petals and make a paste out of them. Take 2 tbsp hibiscus flower paste and add this to some aloe vera gel. Mix well and then massage it on the scalp. Also apply it on the length of your hair. Wear a shower cap and wait for 30-45 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo and follow up with a conditioner. Use this aloe vera hair mask to treat hair loss at least once in a week.
Aloe vera is loaded with vitamins and minerals, which is why it works wonderfully for hair. In fact, it has anti fungal properties that kill hidden fungi on our scalp. Hidden fungus on the scalp can sometimes cause serious hair loss problem. Aloe vera contains Vitamin B-12 and folic acid which are essential to stop hair loss. Also Vitamins A, C and E present in aloe vera helps to get strong hair. Moreover aloe vera can maintain the pH balance of the scalp. When pH balance gets disrupted it can cause serious hair problems like hair loss. The astringent properties of aloe vera make it a great natural treatment for Seborrhea Dermatitis whereas, its anti-pruritus and nourishing properties help in treating scalp Psoriasis.
Check – 16 Best Benefits of Vitamin E for Skin, Hair and Health
5. Castor Oil Hair Mask
How to make castor oil hair mask to treat hair loss
- Grate a ginger root and squeeze out the juice. Take a tsp ginger juice and mix it with 2-3 tbsp castor oil. Massage it on the scalp and then let it sit for 30-40 minutes. Wash off with a shampoo and luke warm water. Repeat this castor oil hair mask to treat hair loss once or twice in a week.
- Beat one egg in a bowl and also add 2 tbsp of castor oil and equal amount of brandy to it. Mix all the ingredients and then apply it all over the scalp and hair. Massage gently to maximize its efficacy. Keep it on for 30-40 minutes and remove it with shampoo and cold water.
- Set up a double boiler to prepare this hair mask. In a bowl, take half cup each of castor oil and fresh curry leaves. Place it on the heat until the curry leaves turn black in color. Remove from the heat and let it cool down. Separate the oil with the help of a strainer and then store it in a bottle. Massage your scalp and hair with this oil for few minutes. Leave it on overnight and the next morning wash off with a mild shampoo.
Castor oil contains high amount of ricinoleic acid which is highly beneficial for healthy scalp. It maintains the normal pH balance of the scalp which helps in preventing hair loss, It reduces the chances of dandruff as well. Castor oil can boost blood circulation to the hair follicles which leads to better hair growth. Moreover, its anti viral, anti bacterial and anti fungal properties works wonderfully to keep the scalp healthy and free of infection. The presence of Vitamin E along with its rich anti oxidant properties of castor oil makes it a great remedy to prevent hair loss.
6. Yogurt Hair Mask
How to make yogurt hair mask to treat hair loss
- Take a cup of plain yogurt and apply it all over the scalp and hair. Tie your hair in a bun and cover it with a shower cap. Let it sit for 30-45 minutes and then wash off with a mild shampoo.
- Take a handful of fresh hibiscus leaves and clean them. Put them in the blender and also add about half of a cup of yogurt and blend together. Prepare a thick paste. Take it out and mix with some warm coconut oil. Apply this hair mask to treat hair loss on the hair and scalp. Leave it on for 40-45 minutes and then rinse off using a mild shampoo.
- Take half a cup of yogurt and add 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar and 1 tbsp honey. Mix well and then apply it on the hair from the roots to tips. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes and then wash it off with cold water. Use shampoo if required.
Yogurt is a wonderful ingredient for our hair. It contains lactic acid which exfoliates the scalp and unblock the clogged hair follicles. Yogurt also restores scalp’s natural pH balance and removes any fungal or bacterial infection that could cause hair loss. Yogurt nourishes and also hydrates the scalp and hair strands and improve hair growth. The presence of vitamin B, D and proteins has made yogurt a great ingredient to induce hair growth. Yogurt hair masks are very moisturizing and nourishing which help in reducing the breakage of the hair.
7. Avocado Hair Mask
Next comes Avocado hair mask on our list of most effective DIY hair mask to treat hair loss.
How to prepare avocado hair mask
Take one ripe avocado, cut it in half, remove the seed and take out the fleshy part. Mash it with a fork and add a tbsp of cold pressed coconut oil to it. Mix both of them and apply this all over the scalp and hair. Don’t forget to massage! Keep it on for an hour and wash off with a mild shampoo. Condition your hair as usual.
- Alternatively, you can add a tbsp of mayonnaise to a smashed avocado and then mix both of them to prepare avocado hair mask to treat hair loss. Apply it all over the hair, keep it on for an hour and also remove the mask with a shampoo. Repeat once in a week.
- Mash one ripe avocado. Add half a cup of milk to it along with 1 tbsp each of olive oil and almond oil. Mix all the ingredients and apply the hair mask all over the hair and scalp. Keep it on for 20-30 minutes and use a mild shampoo to wash it off.
Why should you use avocado hair mask to treat hair loss? Well, avocado is rich in Vitamin B as well as Vitamin E which work together to protect the hair cells and strengthen the hair, thus preventing hair loss. Vitamin B is essential to stop hair from falling out while vitamin E is important for maintaining scalp health. Unhealthy scalp often leads to increased shedding of hair. Moreover the mono saturated fatty acids in avocado provides nourishment and strength to dry and damaged hair and thus prevents hair loss due to breakage.
8. Rosemary Oil Hair Mask
How to prepare rosemary oil hair mask to treat hair loss
- Add 3-4 drops of rosemary oil to any base oil, like coconut oil, jojoba oil, almond oil, olive oil etc. Massage it all over the hair and scalp, leave it on for an hour and use a mild shampoo to wash it all.
- Alternatively you can also use rosemary leaves to prepare rosemary hair mask to treat hair loss. Take a handful of chopped rosemary leaves and then add them to a cup of water. Boil the water and then strain the liquid. Collect it in a separate container and let it cool down. Massage your scalp with this liquid and also allow it to stay for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with plain luke warm water.
Rosemary is a great herb for our hair. Rosemary oil is very effective in reducing dandruff and the hair loss associated with it. It also encourages hair growth and strengthens the hair follicles. Moreover, rosemary contains antioxidant benefits that prevent hair loss due to free radical damages. Also, it contains silica and sulfur that help to fight against hair fall.
Check – 4 Fabulous Natural Hair Scrub Ideas for Beautiful Long Hair
Those were some of the most effective DIY hair mask to treat hair loss. All of these hair masks are natural and made of inexpensive ingredients. Nothing can stop hair fall or hair loss magically in a day or two. So remember to be patient with these natural remedies and they will surprise you with awesome results. Share your favorite hair mask to treat hair loss with us below in the comment box 🙂