18 Surprising Castor Oil Benefits for Skin, Hair and Health – Whenever you complained about any hair or skin concerns, you must have heard your mother or grandmother asking you to use castor oil. Have you ever wondered, what makes castor oil such an amazing ingredient and what are the castor oil benefits? Well, in this post, you will find about 18 Surprising Castor Oil Benefits for Skin, Hair and Health. Castor oil is one of the widely used ingredients for skin, hair and different health issues, in fact, it is regarded as an elixir for beautiful hair and soft, supple skin. Castor oil contains Vitamin E and fatty acids, such as Omega 6 and 9 which are considered to be essential for great hair and great skin. So, let’s find out below different castor oil benefits.
Check – How to Make Best Face Serum for Fair and Glowing Skin at Home
18 Surprising Castor Oil Benefits for Skin, Hair and Health
Before moving onto the various castor oil benefits and castor oil uses, let’s first find out what is castor oil.
What is Castor Oil?
Castor oil, also known as arandi oil, is a pale yellow colored liquid, which is derived from the seeds of Ricinus Communis plant. These plants generally grow in wastelands across tropical regions, mainly in Africa and India. Castor oil is widely used for medicinal as well as beauty purposes across Africa, the Indian subcontinent and the Mediterranean basin.
It is a pure vegetable oil. In fact, according to the records, castor oil is one of the very first vegetable oils to be used for industrial purposes, owing to its high viscosity as well as lubricating property.
And here is one interesting fact for you guys – one of India’s most popular automotive lubricant company, Castrol (the famous Castrol oil), has also derived its name from castor oil.
Okay, so now that we have a fair idea about what is castor oil, let’s now talk about all the castor oil benefits for our hair, skin and our overall health.
Check – My Magic Hair Oil & Castor Oil | Why Castor Oil is Good for Hair
Castor Oil Benefits for Hair
There are several benefits of castor oil for our hair. It does much more than giving us beautiful, soft and silky hair. You will find out various castor oil benefits for hair below.
1. Castor oil benefits to Promote Hair Growth
Why to use Castor oil to promote Hair growth?
One of the main castor oil benefits for hair is that it helps to promote healthy hair growth. In fact, this is one of the most common uses of castor oil. Regular scalp and hair massage with castor oil, or arandi oil helps to boost hair growth. Caster oil deeply conditions and helps to thicken your hair strands. One of the major castor oil benefits for hair is that it boosts blood circulation to the hair follicles and thus, leads to faster hair growth.
Most of the beauty benefits of castor oil can be attributed to its high ricinoleic acid content. This Ricinolelic acid is unsaturated omega 9 fatty acid and a hydroxyl acid. It is very beneficial in maintaining scalp’s natural pH balance, which in turn, reduces the chances of dandruff, split ends as well as hair breakage.
How to use Castor oil to promote hair growth?
- Massage warm castor oil onto the hair roots and scalp at night, before going to the bed. Wash off the next morning.
- Furthermore, You can also mix castor oil with equal quantity of coconut oil or sweet almond oil and follow the same procedure mentioned above.
2. Castor oil benefits to Enhance Hair Color
Why you should use Castor oil to enhance hair color?
Another major castor oil benefits for hair is that it helps to enhance the natural color of your hair. Castor oil is a great natural humectant that locks in moisture. When you apply castor oil on your hair, it helps to lock moisture into the hair strands, making them look darker and thicker.
How to use Castor oil to enhance hair color?
After washing your hair, towel dry it and apply slightly warm castor oil (about one tbsp) onto the hair strands. You have to dip your fingers in the oil and run through the hair strands.
Check – How to Get Wine Colored Hair?
3. Castor Oil Benefits to Condition Hair
Why to use Castor oil to condition hair?
Throw away all those store bought conditioners and start using castor oil as a natural conditioner for your hair. The list of castor oil benefits for hair is quite long and this one also comes towards the top. Treating dry, damaged and dull hair is one of the main benefits of castor oil for our hair. Again, castor oil’s humectant properties come into play. It helps to lock moisture into the hair strands and thus, prevent them from getting dry and dull.
How to use Castor oil to condition hair?
Simply add a tsp of castor oil to your favorite leave-in hair conditioner and shake well. Use it as usual you do after washing your hair.
4. Castor oil benefits to Treat Different Scalp Conditions
Why to use Castor oil to treat scalp?
Castor oil has natural antifungal and antibacterial properties. One of the main benefits of castor oil is its ability to treat several scalp conditions including dandruff. The antifungal and antibacterial properties of castor oil helps to kill the pathogens and microorganisms that causes scalp conditions, like dandruff, itchy scalp etc.
How to use Castor oil to treat scalp?
- For dry hair and dandruff : Mix together 1 tbsp of castor oil, 1 tbsp of olive oil and juice of half of a lemon. Apply this onto the roots of your hair, wait for 30 minutes and follow with regular shampoo and also conditioner.
- For oily hair and dandruff : Mix together one tbsp each of of castor oil, honey and aloe vera gel and add juice of half a lemon. Apply this to the hair roots and wash off with shampoo after 30 minutes. Apply conditioner as usual.
5. Castor Oil Benefits to get Shiny Hair
Why to use castor oil for shiny hair?
Next on our list of castor oil benefits for hair is this one – to add shine. Castor oil is extremely beneficial to improve the overall health of your hair and make your hair strands shine with health and make them look super glossy. A homemade castor oil hair mask can be used for our hair to get healthy, soft, shiny hair.
How to use castor oil to get shiny hair?
Warm up a cup of kefir (fermented milk drink) on a water bath and add 2 tbsp of castor oil to it. Mix well and apply to the hair roots and ends thoroughly. Furthermore, put on a shower cap and let it sit for at least 30 minutes before rinsing it off. Use shampoo and conditioner as usual.
Castor Oil Benefits for Skin
We have already discussed the major benefits of castor oil for hair. Now, we will talk about some of the amazing castor oil benefits for our skin. After reading this, you will easily understand, why castor oil is such a widely used ingredient in our beauty products. So, lets find out what are the benefits of castor oil for our skin.
6. Castor Oil benefits to Treat Dry Skin
Why Castor oil is great for Dry Skin?
One of the most common castor oil (arandi oil) uses is to treat and nourish dry skin. Castor oil for skin works as a great natural moisturizer. Arandi oil, has the ability to penetrate deep into the skin and thus, helps to heal dry, flaky skin. Castor oil has high concentration of essential fatty acids, that not only make skin soft and glowing, but also treat various skin conditions, like dermatitis.
How to use Castor oil to treat Dry Skin?
- Mix equal parts of castor oil and coconut oil and massage your skin gently, with special attention given to the dry areas. Wait for 20-30 minutes before you take your shower.
- You can also use castor oil as a night treatment for your skin. Massage a few drops of castor oil or arandi oil on your face, elbows, knees and also other dry parts and go to sleep. Wash off next morning. Within a week, you will see noticeable difference.
7. Castor oil benefits to Heal Skin Inflammation
Why Castor oil heals Skin Inflammation?
Castor oil has amazing healing properties. It is extremely beneficial to treat inflammed skin caused by sunburn, acne or severely dry skin.
How to treat Skin Inflammation using Castor Oil?
Take a cotton ball and then pour a few drops of castor oil on it. Apply it directly onto the affected parts of the skin and leave it on for an hour. Wash off.
8. Castor Oil benefits for Treating Skin Pigmentation
Why Castor Oil is used to treat Skin Pigmentation?
Next on our list of castor oil benefits is this one. Castor oil is very effective in treating skin pigmentation and helps to get rid of spots and marks. This is one of the main benefits of castor oil for skin. The Omega 3 fatty acids present in castor oil or arandi oil, keeps the skin hydrated and also promotes healthy tissue growth.
How to treat Skin Pigmentation using Castor Oil?
- If you want to use castor oil for skin pigmentation, simply mix together vitamin E oil (extracted from one vitamin E capsule) and 5-6 drops of castor oil. Apply onto the affected areas in the night, before going to bed. Rinse off with cool water next morning. Use this remedy daily.
- Another way to use castor oil for skin pigmentation is by mixing equal proportion of castor oil and coconut oil. Apply onto the affected parts and massage gently. Repeat this remedy few times daily until you get satisfactory result.
9. Castor Oil Benefits to Fight Aging Signs
Why Castor oil is Beneficial for fighting Aging Signs?
This is one of the most amazing benefits of castor oil for skin. Arandi oil has the ability to penetrate the skin deeply and boost the production of elastin and collagen. This helps to hydrate the skin, make it soft and smooth and delay the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. The best thing is that though castor oil can reach deep into the skin yet it does not clog pores.
How to use Castor oil to fight Aging Signs?
To use castor oil for skin aging, massage the skin gently with few drops of castor oil daily at night before going to bed. Continue this remedy for at least 4-6 months to get desired result.
10. Castor Oil Benefits for Fighting Acne
Why Castor oil is great for Fighting Acne?
Normally acne and oil don’t go together. But the story is different with castor oil. One of the major benefits of castor oil for skin is its ability to reduce acne. Castor oil contains the high amount of ricinoleic acid which helps to kill the acne causing bacteria. The essential fatty acids present in castor oil also helps to restore our skin’s natural moisture balance. Moreover, castor oil is non-comedogenic, so its totally safe to be used on acne prone skin.
How to use Castor Oil for Fighting Acne?
Wash the face with warm water to open up the pores. Now simply massage the face with few drops of castor oil in circular motion. Let it stay overnight and then wash off the next morning with cold water.
Check – Kama Ayurveda Nimrah Anti Acne Face Pack
11. Castor Oil Benefits to Moisturize Skin
Why Castor oil is good for Moisturization of Skin?
Next on our list of castor oil benefits for skin is its ability to be used as a moisturizer. Its one of the best natural moisturizer for skin. The fatty acids present in castor oil penetrate the skin deeply and also heal the dryness of the skin. Castor oil also restores the lost hydration of the skin.
How to use Castor oil for Moisturized Skin?
If you want to use castor oil for skin moisturizer, all you have to do is to take a few drops of castor oil and massage it gently on thoroughly cleansed face.
12. Castor Oil Benefits to Prevent Stretch Marks
Why Castor Oil is Beneficial in Preventing Stretch Marks?
Stretch marks mostly occur during pregnancy. Topical use of castor oil during pregnancy can prevent the formation of stretch marks. It is one of the most amazing castor oil benefits for skin. Castor oil is also a natural humectant which helps the skin to retain moisture and maintain elasticity of the skin. Also the fatty acids helps to regenerate skin tissues and improve skin texture.
How to use Castor oil to prevent stretch marks?
- Mix together 1 tbsp of castor oil and 2 tbsp of sweet almond oil. Furthermore, apply it daily on areas like stomach, thighs and breasts to prevent stretch marks.
- Another castor oil benefits for skin is its ability to fade stretch marks. For this, take pure castor oil and massage the affected area for 10 minutes. Then cover the area with a plastic wrap and also apply heat by using a heating pad for 15-20 minutes. Do this daily.
Castor Oil Benefits for Health
So, above we have discussed all the amazing castor oil benefits for our skin and hair. Lets now find out what are the castor oil benefits for our health.
13. Castor Oil Benefits for Treating Ringworms
Why Castor Oil is Great for Treating Ringworms?
The list of castor oil benefits for health is quite long and treating ringworm is one of them. Ringworm is a common problem that can happen to anyone from any age group. Castor oil contains an active compound known as ‘undecylenic acid’ which helps in treating ringworm quite effectively.
How to use Castor Oil for Ringworms Treatment?
- Apply few drops of castor oil on the affected area and massage gently for few minutes. Repeat this remedy thrice a day.
- You can also mix together 2 tsp of castor oil and 4 tsp of coconut oil and repeat the same procedure.
14. Castor Oil Benefits to Relieve Constipation
Why Castor Oil helps to Relieve Constipation?
Another amazing castor oil benefits for our health is this one. It acts as a great laxative. The high amount of fatty acids in castor oil helps to relieve constipation.
How to use castor oil to Relieve Constipation?
To reap this castor oil benefits, one needs to take a 15 ml dose of castor oil once a day. It works very effectively when taken during the day.
15. Castor Oil Benefits to Get Relief from Sore Muscles
Why Castor Oil is beneficial for Relieving Sore Muscles?
Castor oil is regarded as a warm oil. It promotes the circulation of fluids in our body. Another amazing castor oil benefits is its ability to be used as a massage oil. It helps in relieving the soreness of the muscles caused by overworking.
How to use Castor Oil to get relief from sore muscles?
- In case you are suffering from aching calf muscles or thigh muscles after exercise or sports practice, apply some castor oil on that area and rub it in.
- You can also add few drops of peppermint oil to a tbsp of castor oil for a more relaxing and healing effect.
16. Castor Oil Benefits to Soothe Joint Pain
Why Castor Oil helps to soothe Joint Pain?
Castor oil contains a high amount of ricinoleic acid. It has amazing analgesic and also anti-inflammatory properties which helps to soothe joint pain as well as arthritic pain.
How to use Castor oil to soothe joint pain?
- Take a piece of soft cotton fabric and fold it into a square. Soak it in arandi oil. Squeeze out the excess oil and place that fabric on the affected area. Cover it with a plastic bag. Then also place a hot water bag or a heating pad over it. Leave it on for an hour.
- Furthermore, you can also massage the painful joints with the castor oil and apply a warm compress for immediate relief.
17. Castor Oil Benefits to Boost Immunity
Why Castor Oil is helpful to Boost Immunity?
One of the amazing castor oil benefits is its ability to boost immunity. Arandi oil is very helpful in energizing our immune system by increasing the number of white blood cells in our system.
How to use Castor oil to boost immunity?
According to the studies, mere topical application of arandi oil to the outside of the body can increase the white blood cell count within 24 hours of application.
18. Castor Oil Benefits for Better Sleep
Why Castor Oil is great remedy for Good Sleep?
We know that sound sleep is important for good health. But many people face difficulty in feeling sleepy and therefore find it tough to fall asleep. Moreover, sleep is not something that we can force on ourselves. If you are one of those sleep deprived souls, then castor oil also can help to fix this problem.
How to use Castor oil for better sleep?
- Before going to bed, use castor oil on your hair or massage few drops of castor oil around the eyes for feeling sleepy.
- You can also dab a bit of castor oil on your eyelids to reap this amazing castor oil benefits.
So these were few amazing castor oil benefits for our skin, health and hair. Let’s find out some more amazing castor oil benefits and uses below.
As a preservative : Castor oil has natural anti fungal properties, which makes it ideal to be used as a natural preservative. It also helps to repel insects that spoil the foods. Many dried grains and pulses are given a coating of castor oil in order to preserve them for a long time.
As a Lubricant : Castor oil works almost as good as grease when it comes to lubricating the moving parts of any vehicle. It works well, both in high and low temperatures. Castor oil is often used in racing cars. Since it doesn’t spoil rubber, so it is also safe to use on cycle pumps that have rubber seals. You can also use castor oil for lubricating kitchen appliances. This is one of the very popular castor oil benefits.
Heals Wounds on Pets : Cats and dogs have this tendency of constantly licking their skin, even if it gets infected. This habit worsens the condition of the wound. Castor oil can be applied on minor wounds and cuts on the pets. It has anti-microbial and anti inflammatory properties that promotes fast healing. Also, since the pets find this oil unpalatable, they often leave licking the spots.
Fighting Migraine : Another amazing castor oil benefits is its ability to fight migraine. Castor oil has powerful antioxidant as well as anti-inflammatory properties. It helps in treating various symptoms of migraines such as nausea, vomiting, and sensitivity to light and sound.
I hope you liked this article on various castor oil benefits and use. Let us know how you love to use castor oil for beauty or health.