Top 15 Benefits of Turmeric for Skin, Hair and Health – Turmeric is a magic herb in every sense. Yes, it’s a miraculous spice that can do wonders for our beauty as well as health. And, here in this article, we are going to tell you different uses and the benefits of turmeric for our skin, hair and health. It is a very common spice in Indian kitchen. Turmeric comes from the ginger family. It is famous for its color and earthy flavor. And the main reason, is due to the presence of curcumin in it. Turmeric consists almost 3% of curcumin by weight. No wonder, it is our favorite go-to fix ingredient, be it for skin or hair and health. So, lets find out all the major benefits of turmeric.
Check – How to use Turmeric for Skin Whitening | Skin Whitening Face Pack
As you have already guessed, this article is all about benefits of turmeric and different uses of turmeric to reap its benefits. But before that, let us check out the origin and other interesting facts about turmeric.
Facts about Turmeric
Turmeric, scientifically known as Curcumin longa, is a member of the Zingiberaceae or ginger family. It is a tropical plant. It grows in warm, humid climate and also thrives in temperatures above around 30 degrees. The origin of turmeric is still not known completely, but it is believed that turmeric was originated in Southern India and this region is still the largest producer of turmeric. Turmeric was spread to most of the parts of Asia, China and Africa by 800 AD.
Turmeric has a special place in Indian cuisine as well as culture. It is used to worship Sun God and also used for purification process. Not only in India, turmeric is also used by Buddhist monks and it has been proved that turmeric was a part of Chinese medicine around 1000 years ago.
Check – Homemade Sugar Scrubs for Healthy Skin in Summer
Nutritional Facts about Turmeric
6 gm of turmeric contains
- Calories – 24
- Calories from fat – 6
- Total Fat- 1 gm
- Saturated Fat – 0 gm
- Cholesterol – 0 mg
- Sodium – 3 mg
- Carbohydrate – 4 gm
- Dietary Fiber – 1 gm
- Sugar – 0 gm
- Protein – 1 gm
- Vitamin A – 0%
- Vitamin C – 3%
- Thiamin – 0 mg
- Vitamin E – 0.2 mg
- Vitamin K – 0.9 mcg
- Niacin – 0.3 mg
- Vitamin B6 – 0.1 mg
- Folate – 2.6 mcg
- Vitamin B12 – 0 mcg
- Choline – 3.3 mg
- Betaine – 0.7 mg
- Calcium – 12.4 mg
- Iron – 2.8 mg
- Magnesium – 13 mg
- Phosphorus – 18.1 mg
- Potassium – 170 mg
- Sodium – 2.6 mg
- Zinc – 0.3 mg
- Manganese – 0.5 mg
- Selenium – 0.3 mcg
Turmeric in Different Indian Languages
- Turmeric in English
- Haldi in Hindi
- Holud in Bengali
- Haldi in Gujrati
- Arishina in Kannada
- Manjal in Malaylam
- Halad in Marathi
- Haldhar in Punjabi
- Haldi in Oriya
- Pasupu in Telugu
Top 15 Benefits of Turmeric for Skin, Hair and Health
So these were all about the origin and nutritional facts about turmeric. Now lets find out the benefits of turmeric for skin, hair and health and also various uses of this herb.
Benefits of Turmeric for Skin
1. Turmeric for a Naturally Glowing Skin
Why to use turmeric for a naturally glowing skin
We are going to start our list of benefits of turmeric for skin with this one. Turmeric contains powerful anti oxidant and anti inflammatory properties. This benefits of turmeric helps in providing luster and glow to our skin. Its also a great natural exfoliator which helps to get rid of the dead skin cells layer and bring out naturally glowing, soft and smooth skin. Below we will reveal some of the easiest ways to reap this benefits of turmeric.
How to use turmeric for glowing skin
- Mix small amounts of greek yogurt, honey and some turmeric powder together to make a face mask. Apply this on the face, keep it on for 15 minutes and then wash off with water.
- The turmeric and besan face pack is also one of the most effective face packs for naturally glowing skin. Mix together 4 tsp of besan, about half tsp turmeric powder and some milk to form a smooth paste. Furthermore, apply this on the face and then let it stay for about 20 minutes before washing off. Follow this remedy at least once a week for glowing skin.
- Alternatively, you can mix half cup of cucumber pulp, a tbsp turmeric and a tbsp lemon juice in a bowl. Prepare a fine paste. Apply it to your face, wait for 15 minutes and then wash off with water.
- Here is a turmeric drink recipe to get a naturally glowing complexion. Boil 2 cups of water and to this add half tsp of ground turmeric. Give it a stir and then cover with a lid. Let it simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and strain the water. You can also add some natural sweetener like honey or some ginger to boost the taste. This can be taken cold or hot.
2. Use Turmeric for Skin Whitening
Why to use turmeric for skin whitening
Turmeric is an amazing herb which work wonders for skin whitening. The main reason of skin darkening is the presence of melanin on the top layer of the skin. Melanin is the skin pigment that determines our complexion. The more melanin, the darker the skin tone gets. Moreover, turmeric can control melanin production and thus, lightens the skin tone. Apart from melanin, sun damage is another major reason for skin darkening. Here also turmeric can help us. It protects our skin from sun damage including photo-aging. Lets find out how to reap this benefits of turmeric below.
Check – This is How I use Baking Soda to Get Rid of Pimples
How to use turmeric for skin whitening
- Take 1 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tbsp corn flour and 2 tbsp of freshly squeezed lemon juice and mix together. Prepare a smooth paste and then spread it on the skin. Let it sit for 20-25 minutes and wash off with cold water. Pat dry and also follow up with a moisturizer. Use this remedy with benefits of turmeric for skin whitening twice or thrice a week for naturally fair and bright skin.
- Mix 1/4th tsp of turmeric powder with 1 tbsp coconut milk. Apply it on the face and then massage the skin in circular motion. Wait for 20-30 minutes and wash off with warm water. This is a great skin whitening face mask for dry skin. Coconut milk is an excellent moisturizer for dry skin. The high amount of vitamin C in coconut milk helps to improve skin elasticity and also improves the complexion. It is also very helpful in achieving flawless and glowing skin.
- Alternatively, you can also reap this benefits of turmeric by mixing it with avocado. Mash 1/4th of an avocado to make a smooth paste. Mix 1 tsp turmeric, yogurt and the avocado paste and apply it on the face. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water and then use cold water. Repeat this skin whitening treatment thrice a week.
3. Turmeric Treatment for Acne Control
Why to use turmeric to fight acne
Turmeric is known for its amazing anti-bacterial properties. And that is why it is considered as a great natural cure for acne. It helps in destroying the acne-causing bacteria as well as removes the excess oil from the skin, which also helps in controlling breakouts. Turmeric is specially beneficial in red or pus-filled pimples. The anti-inflammatory benefits of turmeric speed up the healing process of acne. Skin lightening and brightening benefits of turmeric also helps to get rid of acne scars.
How to use turmeric for acne
- Take a tsp turmeric, 3 tbsp milk, 2 tbsp besan and few drops of honey. Mix together and apply on the face. Let it dry and then rinse it off. Its a great anti acne face pack containing the benefits of turmeric.
- Alternatively, you can prepare a face pack by mixing together half tsp turmeric, 2 tsp sandalwood powder and some lime juice. Apply it on the skin, let it sit for 10 minutes and then wash off with luke warm water. You can replace lime juice with milk if you have sensitive skin.
- You can also use a mixture of honey and turmeric to get rid of the acne. Simply mix some turmeric powder and honey to form a paste. Apply it on the acne, let it dry and then wash off. Repeat this few times in a week for effective results.
4. Remove Unwanted Hair using Turmeric
Why to use turmeric to remove unwanted hair
Next on our list of the benefits of turmeric comes this one. Turmeric is known for its ability to remove unwanted hair. It also inhibits the hair growth. When turmeric paste is applied on the face and it gets dry, it sticks to the face like a mild glue. And when you try to remove the paste, it comes off with the hairs underneath. Furthermore, regular application of turmeric on face has been proved to lessen hair growth over time. It is one of the most popular ancient ubtan to get rid of unwanted body hair and facial hair.
How to use turmeric to remove unwanted hair
Check out below to know how to reap this benefits of turmeric.
- Make a paste by mixing together 3 tsp turmeric powder and 1 tsp milk. Once you achieve a thick paste like consistency, apply it all over the face and then let it dry. With a clean dry wash cloth, gently scrub off the paste by using circular motions. Apply this face pack regularly for few months to control hair growth.
- Mix together 2 tbsp chickpea flour, 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp mashed papaya and some rose water to make a paste. Apply it on the face and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Wash off, pat dry the face and follow up with a moisturizer. This face pack containing the benefits of turmeric, not only reduces hair growth but also lightens skin tone which makes the facial hairs almost non visible.
- Here is another exciting recipe to remove facial hair. In a bowl, take half cup cold milk, half cup besan, 2 tbsp turmeric powder and 1 tbsp salt. Mix everything to prepare a smooth paste. Apply this paste on the areas of the face where you want to remove facial hair. Once applied, gently rub the paste in circular motions for 5-10 minutes. Once the paste feels dry, rinse off with warm water. Follow this procedure once in a week to get desired results.
5. Use Turmeric for Anti Aging
Why to use turmeric for anti aging
Turmeric contains curcumin, which is a very powerful anti oxidant. It protects our body from the harmful free radicals and also prevents premature aging. Moreover, turmeric comes in at number 6 in the list of herbs and spices with the highest amount of anti oxidants. Also, turmeric can inhibit a key enzyme known as elastase which can reduce the ability of forming elastin. As we all know elastin and collagen are very important substances that preserve the texture and elasticity of our skin. Check out below how you can make use of this anti aging benefits of turmeric.
Check – Oriflame Milk & Honey Gold Moisturising Shower Cream
How to use turmeric to prevent aging
- Make a face mask by mixing together 1 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp raw honey and also half tsp coconut oil. Apply it on the face and then wait for 10-20 minutes before washing off with a mild cleanser. Do this at least once or twice in a week at night.
- Alternatively, you can mix together turmeric powder, rice flour, raw milk and tomato juice to make a powerful anti aging face mask. Apply it on the skin, wait for 30 minutes and then wash off with luke warm water.
- You can also apply a mixture of turmeric powder and milk or yogurt. Rub it in a circular motion on the face and wait until it dries. Wash off with lukewarm water.
Benefits of Turmeric for Hair
We have discussed few of the benefits of turmeric for skin above. Now lets talk about the what are the benefits of turmeric for hair.
6. Treat Dandruff with Turmeric Benefits
Why to use turmeric to treat dandruff
Turmeric has powerful anti bacterial, anti microbial and also anti oxidant properties. And, that’s why it works wonders to get rid of dandruff. Turmeric also can thoroughly cleanse the scalp and boost blood circulation in the scalp, which results in healthy and clear scalp. Furthermore, improved blood flow in the scalp also leads to better hair growth.
How to use turmeric to get rid of dandruff
- To reap this benefits of turmeric, mix 1 tsp of turmeric powder with 2 tbsp of coconut oil or olive oil or jojoba oil and apply this paste all over the scalp. Wait for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Rinse off with a mild shampoo.
- Alternatively you can mix 1 tsp of black pepper powder, 3 tsp olive oil and a pinch of turmeric powder together to prepare a hair pack. Apply this all over the scalp and wait for an hour. Wash off with a mild shampoo. Black pepper contains powerful anti dandruff properties due to the presence of zinc and selenium in it.
7. Turmeric to Treat Hair Loss
Why to use turmeric to treat hair loss
According to studies, curcumin, which is found in turmeric, has similar effect to those of finasteride, one of the most popular hair loss drugs. But synthetic drugs normally have side effects. Both finasteride and curcumin acts against hair loss by blocking the body’s ability to convert testosterone into the more potent male hormone dihydrotestosterone, or DHT. Furthermore, this hormone can cause male pattern baldness because of severe damage to the hair follicles and could be permanent. Curcumin also acts as an anti-inflammatory component, and it fights the inflammatory molecules in the body that can lead to hair loss. Studies have shown that curcumin has antioxidant benefits, which can also fight off the free radicals. Free radicals can harm the hair follicles and cause hair loss.
How to use turmeric to solve hair loss problem
- Here is a great hair pack recipe to reap this benefits of turmeric. Mix turmeric powder and raw milk to make a semi-liquid solution. If you have dry hair, then add some honey to it. Gently massage your scalp with the mixture and then leave it on for some time. Rinse off with a mild shampoo. Repeat this twice a week for best results.
- Eating turmeric on regular basis is one of the best ways to reap this benefits of turmeric.
8. Turmeric for Healthy Scalp
Why to use turmeric for healthy scalp
The antiseptic, anti inflammatory, anti fungal, anti allergic, anti oxidant as well as anti bacterial benefits of turmeric are very helpful in keeping various scalp diseases at bay. Fungal infections, ermatitis, eczema, itching, inflammation etc can also be treated with turmeric.
How to use turmeric for healthy scalp
Here is a very easy way to make use of this benefits of turmeric for hair. Make a paste using turmeric powder and water and apply it on the scalp. Wait for some time and wash off with cold water.
Benefits of Turmeric for Health
After discussing the benefits of turmeric for skin and hair, lets now move on to the benefits of turmeric for health.
9. Turmeric for Weight Loss
Turmeric is also very helpful in accelerating the metabolism rate which means that your body burns a good number of calories. This leads to weight loss. Moreover, turmeric can help in detoxification of liver, which is also important for weight loss. Also the curcumin present in turmeric can lower cholesterol level, which lets our body focus on reducing weight.
10. Turmeric Treats Gastrointestinal Issues
Here comes another amazing benefits of turmeric for our health. The anti inflammatory benefits of turmeric plays a vital role here. It lowers the chance of developing ulcers, bleeding in the bowels and irritation throughout the gut. Turmeric is an ancient remedy to treat constipation, cramping and irritable bowel syndrome.
11. Turmeric Helps to ease Menstrual Symptoms
During our period, many of us have to deal with few menstrual symptoms such as cramping, bloating, excessive bleeding, mood swings etc. The anti inflammatory and also soothing benefits of turmeric can help to ease these symptoms and make our life a little easier.
Check – How to Get Rid of Menstrual Cramps
12. Turmeric Helps to Prevent Cancer
This is, by far, one of the most important benefits of turmeric. And here also, you gotta give credit to curcumin. Curcumin can actually halt an enzyme which is responsible for transforming the environmental toxins into carcinogens. Not only this, but curcumin is also directly linked with the reduction of colon cancer. Furthermore, this curcumin has the ability to make chemotherapy more effective and it can also protect the healthy cells from the damage of radiation. According to one Chinese study, curcumin is also effective against breast cancer.
13. Turmeric is Beneficial as a Pain killer
Turmeric is known as the natural painkiller. The anti inflammatory benefits of turmeric play a vital role here. It inhibits the action of inflammatory chemicals and thus, reduces the pain. And, this pain-killer property also helps to bring down post-surgery pain as well as burning pain. For this reason, consuming turmeric is a great natural way to reduce arthritic pain, gout, and muscle pain due to exercise or injury. Even topical use of turmeric also can give relief from pain.
Check – How to Remove Dark Circles Under Eyes
14. Improve your Heart Health with Turmeric
Turmeric contains Vitamin B6 which can halt the production of homocysteine which is a type of amino acids. Elevated level of homocysteine can damage the cell walls which in turn, can lead to few complications in the heart. Plus, the curcumin present in turmeric can lower the bad cholesterol level which is also very beneficial for a good heart health.
15. Use Turmeric to Detoxify the Body
Turmeric and its active organic compounds are very effective in improving liver function which is very important to detoxify our system. It ensures that the toxins are removed. The antioxidant properties of turmeric fights of free radicals which can also harm our system.
So, this was all about the various uses and benefits of turmeric. I hope you liked this article, stay tuned for more 🙂