15 Amazing Benefits of Green Tea for Skin, Hair and Health – If I ask you to name one beverage that the current mankind is obsessed of, your answer would be Green tea. Green tea is one of the most valued and popular beverage consumed across the globe. This article will tell about 15 top benefits of green tea that you should definitely know. Initially, green tea was popular in China. Later, the world got to know about this amazing drink and since then, it has never looked back. Due to its amazing antioxidant, antiviral and anti inflammatory properties, green tea also helps to reduce the risk of many diseases. Moreover, its antioxidant, vitamins and mineral components has made it a great ingredient. Let’s find out some of the top benefits of Green tea and different uses of green tea below.
Check – 3 Amazing Green Tea Face Masks for Skin Brightening
Before we start exploring all the health benefits of green tea and different uses of green tea for our health and beauty, let’s check out some interesting facts about this widely consumed beverage.
What is Green Tea
Green tea and almost all the tea, are obtained from the leaves of same tea, which is scientifically known as Camelia sinensis. The variations or types of teas depends on the processing. Normal black tea is also processed from the fermented leaves, while green tea is made from unfermented or unoxidized leaves and it is also one of the least processed teas (with white tea being the least). Furthermore, the fermentation changes the color and flavor and increases the level of caffeine and tannin. In the case of green tea, the tea leaves are dried or slightly steamed, and that’s why, we get that green color while brewing.
Check – The Body Shop Fuji Green Tea Replenishing Gel Lotion
Due to the amazing health benefits of green tea, it has been used as a medicine since thousand of years. It has many medicinal benefits, such as weight management, disease fighting, stress reducing, energy boosting etc. Since the preparation of green tea avoids fermentation, it is able to retain the maximum amount of antioxidants and polyphenols, which give green tea its numerous benefits.
15 Amazing Benefits of Green Tea for Skin, Hair and Health
- Green Tea improves Skin Complexion
- Treat dark circles and puffy eyes by using green tea
- Green Tea for Anti Aging
- Green tea treats Acne
- Use Green Tea for Oily Skin
- Green Tea to Get Rid of Sun Burn
- Green Tea to Shrink Open Pores
- Stimulate Hair Growth with the help of green tea
- Use Green Tea for Soft and Shiny Hair
- Treat Dandruff by using Green tea
- Green tea helps to reduce the risk of cancer
- Green tea improves Heart Health
- Drink Green Tea to lose Weight
- Improve Energy Level and Immunity using Green tea
- Green Tea to relieve arthritis
So, now we know what is Green tea, let’s now find out why actually you should drink it, and what are the different uses of green tea for our skin, hair and health. Below are listed some of the best benefits of green tea for skin.
Benefits of Green Tea for Skin
We already know that one of the best benefits of green tea is its high antioxidant contents. These antioxidants also play a vital role in enhancing our skin health. In fact, you can use green tea as beauty mask, or consume on daily basis to enhance your beauty.
1. Green Tea improves Skin Complexion
Why use green tea to improve complexion
Using green tea for skin is one of the best way to rejuvenate our skin. It improves our complexion and makes our skin healthy and beautiful. One of the major benefits of green tea for skin is its ability to flush out toxins from the skin and heal blemishes and scars. It also reduces inflammation and improves skin elasticity.
How to use green tea to improve complexion
You will need to use green tea bags for this. Cut open them and also take out the tea leaves. Add some honey and fresh lemon juice and mix everything nicely. Apply it onto the face and let it sit for 5-10 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water. This face mask, when used once or twice in a week, gives amazing result.
2. Benefits of Green tea to treat dark circles and puffy eyes
Why to use green tea to reduce dark circles and puffy eyes
This is one of the best advantages of green tea. Many of us are troubled with dark circles and puffy eyes, and you have a solution right here. The antioxidant benefits of green tea and the presence of tannin in it is very helpful to treat puffy eyes and dark circles. This helps to shrink down the blood vessels underneath the eyes, which in turn reduces the swelling as well as the puffiness. The vitamin K in green tea works to remove dark circles.
How to treat puffy eyes and dark circles using green tea
Take 2 used green tea bags and put them in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Place them over your closed eyelids and relax for 15-20 minutes. Doing this twice a day will help to bring down puffy eyes and dark circles. This is one of the best green tea uses for our beauty.
3. Benefits of Green Tea for Anti Aging
Why to use green tea for anti aging
This is one of the most amazing benefits of green tea for skin. Its loaded with antioxidants and minerals that help to delay the signs of aging such as, saggy skin, wrinkles, lines, age spots, etc. One of the best advantages of green tea is its polyphenol contents. They help to neutralize the harmful free radicals which accelerate the aging process.
Check – How to make your Own Anti Aging Cream at Home
How to use green tea to fight aging
To reap this anti aging benefits of green tea, one can use it in the form of face packs. Check some of them below.
- Mix together 3 tbsp of plain yogurt, 1 tbsp of ground green tea leaves and a pinch of turmeric powder. Apply it all over the face and neck and wait for 20 minutes. Rinse off with lukewarm water. Repeat once or twice a week.
- Another way to make green tea face mask is by mixing 1 tsp of Matcha green tea and few drops of water to make a paste. For dry skin, you can add few drops of olive oil to this paste. Apply on to the face and leave it on till it completely dries. Rinse off with lukewarm water. Repeat few times a week.
- Brew some green tea and let it cool down. Take 2 tbsp of green tea in a bowl and add a pinch of turmeric and 1/2 tbsp of lemon juice. Apply it on to the face and wait for 10 minutes. Wash off.
4. Benefits of Green Tea to Treat Acne
Why to use green tea to treat acne
Green tea contains catechins which have antibacterial properties. They help fighting the acne causing bacteria. These catechins also can regulate the hormone imbalances in the body, which is often one of the main causes of acne. Plus green tea has a component known as EGCG which also helps to get rid of acne. The anti inflammatory benefits of green tea brings down the redness and swelling caused by acne.
How to use green tea to treat acne
In a small bowl, take 1/4th cup of freshly brewed green tea and add some water to that. With the help of a cotton ball, apply it all over the face, specially the affected area. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes and rinse off with cold water. Doing this twice a day regularly will help to solve the problem of acne.
5. Use Green Tea for Oily Skin
Why to use green tea for oily skin
Here comes another amazing benefits of green tea for skin. It contains tannin, which has significant astringent properties. It shrinks pores and reduces sebum production from the sebum glands. One of the advantages of green tea is that it has the ability to remove the dirt and oil accumulated in the pores and thus, reducing the chances of break outs.
How to use green tea for oily skin
- To reap this amazing green tea benefits, try this face pack. Brew some green tea and let it cool. In a bowl, take 3 tbsp of green tea and to this, add 3 tbsp of rice flour and 1 tbsp of lemon juice. Make a paste and apply all over the face. Wait for 20 minutes and then rinse off with cool water.
- Another potion is taking green tea steam facial. Boil 3-4 cups of water and pour the water in a large bowl with a lid. Steep 2-3 bags of green tea or a few spoonfuls of loose green tea leaves for a few minutes. Take a towel over your head so that the steam can be locked as you put your face over it. Do this for 10-15 minutes and then rinse your face with cool, fresh water and gently pat dry.
6. Benefits of Green Tea to Get Rid of Sun Burn
Why to use green tea to treat sun burn
The anti oxidant benefits of green tea has made it a great natural ingredient to treat sun burn and sun tan. It fights off the free radicals that otherwise can cause sun burn and other skin problems. Also green tea has tannic acid and polyphenols that heal the sun-burned skin by neutralizing the UV damage.
Check – How to Choose the Right Sunscreen
How to use green tea to treat sun damage
- Brew 2-3 cups of green tea. Let it come to room temperature. Put it in the refrigerator. After few hours, take out the chilled green tea and soak a cloth or cotton ball in it. Apply it on the face, neck or only to the affected area. This will act as a homemade sunscreen as well as heal the sun damage.
- Regular consumption of green tea is also a great remedy to treat sun burned skin.
7. Benefits of Green Tea to Shrink Open Pores
Why to use green tea to shrink open pores
The anti oxidants benefits of green tea along with its astringent properties help to shrink the enlarged pores that often tend to get clogged and results in breakouts. Green tea can be used in the form of a face pack to shrink open pores.
How to use green tea to shrink open pores
- Brew a cup of strong green tea and take a few tbsp of this in a bowl. To this, add 2 tbsp of bentonite clay. Make a paste and spread this mask on the face, specially focusing on the areas with more open pores. Let it dry completely and remove it by gentle scrubbing. Wash the face with warm water.
- You can also apply brewed green tea (room temperature) directly on the face with the help of a cotton ball for the same result.
Benefits of Green Tea for Hair
Though many of us do not know, but there are many benefits of green tea for hair as well. The rich antioxidant properties of green tea help to keep our scalp and hair healthy. Below you will find out some of the benefits of green tea for hair as well as uses of green tea for hair.
8. Stimulate Hair Growth with the help of Green Tea
Why to use green tea for hair growth
Lets start our list of benefits of green tea for hair with this one. It contains a high amount of anti oxidants that fight off free radicals and promote hair growth. The catechins in green tea have 5-alpha-reductase inhibiting properties that block DHT, which is one of the main causes of hair loss. A 2005 study has found that polyphenols in green tea helped to prevent hair loss among rodents.
How to use green tea for hair growth
- To reap this green tea benefits, use a green tea rinse. After washing your hair, rinse it with freshly brewed, cool green tea. Let it sit for 10 minutes and then use cold water to wash it off. Repeat this 2-3 times per week.
- Another option is to make a green tea hair mask. Brew a cup of green tea, let it come to room temperature and take 2-3 tsp of green tea in a bowl. Mix an egg with it. Beat well and apply this hair mask all over the hair and scalp. Wait for 30 minutes and then rinse off. This will not only promote hair growth but also will make your hair smooth and shiny.
9. Benefits of Green Tea for Soft and Shiny Hair
Why to use green tea for soft and shiny hair
This is another very important benefits of green tea for hair. It contains vitamin C, polyphenols and vitamin E which is very effective green tea benefits in making your hair soft and attractive. Regular consumption or use of green tea for hair makes it shiny and full of life. It also protects our hair from external damages like pollution, sun, dirt, etc.
How to use green tea for soft and shiny hair
- To reap this benefits of green tea for hair, you have to make green tea water. Steep 2-3 green tea bags in 4 cups of hot water for an hour. Remove the tea bags and let it cool down. Dampen your hair and pour this solution on the scalp. Gently massage your scalp with this. Wait for 10 minutes and then use a mild shampoo to wash your hair. Don’t forget to use cool water as the final rinse to lock the shine.
- Brew a cup of green tea. Let it cool down and add a tbsp of aloe vera gel to it. For dry hair, add a few drops of argan oil to this. Mix everything together. Use it as a final rinse after washing your hair with shampoo. Gently pour it over the scalp and massage it for 3-5 minutes. Then rinse off with cool water to seal the shine.
10. Benefits of Green Tea to Treat Dandruff
Why to use green tea to treat dandruff
The anti oxidant benefits of green tea make it an ideal natural solution for dandruff. When used on scalp, it exfoliates the dry flakes accumulated on the scalp which are often the main cause of dandruff.
How to use green tea to reduce dandruff
To reap this green tea benefits, brew a strong cup of green tea and let it cool down. Massage your scalp with this solution thoroughly. Wait for 30 minutes to an 1 hour and then rinse off.
So far we have seen various benefits of green tea for our hair and skin. Now we will explore the green tea benefits for health.
Health Benefits of Green Tea
Green tea is popular worldwide, mainly due to the amazing health benefits of green tea. Lets check out some of them below.
11. Benefits of Green tea to reduce the risk of cancer
Why green tea is used to prevent cancer
The polyphenols present in the green tea have anti cancer properties. One of the most powerful compounds found in green tea is the antioxidant Epigallocatechin Gallate (EGCG), which has been beneficial to treat various diseases, including cancer. Various researches have shown that green tea has positive impact on a range of cancers, such as breast, bladder, ovarian, bowel, throat, skin cancer, lung cancer, prostate cancer etc. To reap this huge health benefits of green tea, one should drink 3-4 cups of green tea everyday.
12. Benefits of Green tea to improve Heart Health
Why green tea is good for our heart
Here is another massive health benefits of green tea. A 2006 study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association has stated that green tea consumption is linked with reduced mortality due to all causes, including cardiovascular diseases. Furthermore, one of the main green tea benefits is that it can lower the level of bad cholesterol, which otherwise can trigger serious heart problems. Also, regular consumption of green tea increases the amount of antioxidants in our blood, which in turn, protect us from heart attacks. According to studies, the flavonoids present in green tea are not only anti inflammatory in nature, but they are also antidiabetic, anti cancer, anti diabetic and antithrombogenic.
13. Benefits of Green Tea to lose Weight
Why green tea helps in reducing weight
This benefit of green tea is probably known by all. And this is one of the best health benefits of green tea. The EGCG present in the green tea does the job here. We know that this tea is high in antioxidants, which boost our metabolism and thus, aids in weight loss. Plus, the active compounds present in green tea have been proved to stimulate certain fat burning hormones. In fact, the caffeine present in the tea is also very helpful in mobilizing fatty acids from the fat tissues and thus, make them available to use as energy. Since green tea has been found to boost our metabolic rate, it helps us to burn calories around the clock and maintain a healthy weight.
Check – 18 Surprising Jojoba Oil Benefits for Skin and Hair
14. Health Benefits of Green Tea to Improve Energy Level and Immunity
This one benefit of green tea has made it popular among everyone, including professionals, housewives, students and everyone. The stimulating benefits of green tea is quite well known and it is due to the presence of caffeine and tannin. Caffeine and tannin are known as very powerful stimulators and also helps to beat fatigue, laziness, sleepiness, and lack of energy as well as improve blood circulation.
Another amazing benefits of green tea is that it can boost our immunity. According to various researches, people who drink green tea regularly do not fall victim to common viral infections and diseases. Green tea boosts the strength of our immunity system. Furthermore, the catechins present in green tea, help prevent bacteria and viruses from attaching themselves to cell walls and infect them. These catechins also fights the toxins released by microbes, and this anti microbial benefits of green tea protect us from bad breath, dysentery, diarrhea, indigestion, tooth decay, cough & cold, flu, and other bacterial and fungal infections.
15. Benefits of Green Tea to relieve arthritis
We will conclude this list of various beauty and health benefits of green tea with this one. This benefit of green tea can be reaped by regular consumption of this beverage. The antioxidants present in the green tea, specially the EGCG, plays a vital role in this green tea benefits. It also stops the production of certain molecules in our body, which can otherwise cause inflammation and arthritis pain. Drinking green tea on regular basis also improves bone health.
During a study, when the bone cells of rats were exposed to the catechins in Green tea, EGCG in particular, stimulated an enzyme that promotes bone growth by 79%. They increased bone mineralization and showed positive effect on weakening the activity of cells that re-absorb bone rather than forming it. EGCG has been proved 100 times more effective than vitamin C and E when it comes to providing antioxidant benefits of green tea during arthritis.
Hope you liked this article on benefits of green tea, do let us know how you like to use green tea to all the benefits of this amazing beverage 🙂