16 Amazing Beauty Benefits of Baking Soda You Should Know – Baking soda is a staple in our household. But apart from baking, it has numerous uses. Do you know baking soda comes with myriad of beauty benefits? This article will tell you about the best beauty benefits of baking soda. Baking soda is one such versatile ingredient that can make you look your best from head to toe. Scientifically known as sodium bi-carbonate, baking soda is a crystalline substance, but it appears like a fine powder to touch. It has natural antiseptic, antifungal, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, for which it is considered as a very effective natural ingredient for our health as well as beauty. So, without any further delay, lets find out the most amazing beauty benefits of baking soda.
Check – Easy Makeup Tutorial Without Foundation and Concealer
Amazing Beauty Benefits of Baking Soda
Below we have listed the most effective yet easy-to-follow beauty benefits of baking soda, that you can try for yourself any time. All you need is a box of baking soda and some me-time 🙂 So, lets get started!
1. Treat Acne with Baking Soda
How to use baking soda to get rid of acne and pimples
This is definitely one of the best beauty benefits of baking soda, specially for someone troubled with breakouts every now and then. Add some water to a tsp of baking soda and then make a paste. Apply it directly on the acne and pimples. Massage it very gently and then, let it sit on the skin for couple of minutes. Rinse it off with luke warm water. Furthermore, wash the face with fresh, cool water. Repeat everyday for the first 2-3 days and reduce the frequency to twice in a week.
Check – 15 Best Simple Exercises to Reduce Belly Fat
Baking soda is a mild exfoliant which draws away the impurities from the skin pores and cleanses them deeply. Also, the antiseptic and anti-inflammatory beauty benefits of baking soda help to reduce the irritation and redness associated with acne. Moreover, its ability to balance the pH level of the skin plays a key role in keeping the skin free from germs and bacteria. Baking soda has drying effect on the skin, so always apply a light, non-comedogenic moisturizer after doing this baking soda treatment.
2. Use Baking Soda for Pore Tightening
How to use baking soda to tighten pores
Try baking soda to shrink pores. Here’s how – Dilute 1 tbsp baking soda in a cup of water and then, transfer it to a clean bottle. Wash your face with a facial cleanser. Pat dry and then, apply the baking soda solution on to the face with a cotton pad and let it dry naturally. Follow up with a moisturizer. Use this special ‘baking soda toner’ every alternate day.
This is a very important beauty benefits of baking soda. Large pores not only ruins the beauty of a smooth skin, but it also triggers a lot of skin problems by attracting dirt and impurities. The astringent properties of baking soda aid in pore shrinking as well as remove excess oil and dirt from the pores to keep them clean. This in turn, helps to avoid breakouts.
3. Baking Soda to Treat Sun Burn
How to treat sun burn with baking soda
- Frequent and prolonged sun exposure in summer increases the risk of sun burn and sun tan. Make use of the amazing beauty benefits of baking soda to soothe the skin. Take some cold water in a bowl and add 1-2 tbsp of baking soda in it. Mix well and soak a wash cloth in that solution. Wring out the excess water and place the wash cloth over the sun-burnt area. Keep it on for 5-10 minutes. This will work as a cold compress and soothe the affected skin. Do this 2-3 times in a day to get relief.
- Alternatively, you can add half of a cup of baking soda to a bath tub filled with water. Stir well and let yourself soak in the water for 15 minutes. Pat dry the skin lightly with a soft towel. Repeat this daily for few days to get relief from sun burn.
Baking soda has natural alkaline properties. When applied on the skin, baking soda renders a soothing feeling and gives relief from the burning sensation and itchiness associated with sun burn. Also its anti septic properties work effectively to dry out the blisters caused by sun burn.
4. Apply Baking Soda to Lighten Scars
How to use baking soda to lighten scars
Next on our list of beauty benefits of baking soda comes this one. In a bowl take 1 tsp of baking soda and add a tsp of fresh lemon juice to that. Mix both and apply this paste directly over the dark spots and acne scars. Massage for few seconds and let it sit there for another couple of minutes. Rinse it off with luke warm water and finally wash the face with fresh cool water. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
Both baking soda and lemon juice has natural bleaching properties. When applied together, this combination helps in getting rid of the dark spots and marks from the skin. Also the exfoliating properties of baking soda and lemon juice help to shed the dark and damaged skin cells.
5. Teeth Whitening with Baking Soda
How to whiten teeth with baking soda
- Sprinkle some baking soda on the tooth paste and then use this to brush your teeth. Keep on brushing for couple of minutes and repeat once daily until you get satisfactory results.
- Alternatively, you can make use of this beauty benefits of baking soda by making a homemade tooth whitener. Mix together 4 tbsp turmeric root powder, 2 tsp baking soda and required amount of extra virgin coconut oil to prepare a paste. Use this paste daily to brush your teeth and see the result.
The exfoliant properties of baking soda also help in removing the yellow stain from the teeth. Also it removes the plaque and boosts our oral health.
Check – 15 Best Shampoos for Dry Hair in India
6. Baking Soda for Skin Lightening
How to use baking soda to lighten skin
- Mix together 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp aloe vera gel and few drops of rose water to prepare a paste. Apply it as a face pack all over the skin and let it sit for at least 5 minutes. Gently massage the skin while removing the face pack and then, wash the face thoroughly with fresh water.
- Take 2-3 fresh strawberries and mash them by putting them in a blender. Add a tsp baking soda and few drops of lemon juice to the mashed strawberries. Mix all the ingredients. Apply it on the face, and wait for 5-7 minutes before rinsing off.
- Alternatively, prepare a mixture by mixing together 1 tsp baking soda, 2 tsp oats and 1 tsp honey. Apply it all over the face and neck. Let it sit for 15 minutes and then scrub the face gently while removing the mask. Wash off thoroughly.
Baking soda has anti bacterial, anti fungal, anti septic and anti-inflammatory properties. All these properties work together to keep the skin healthy and free from acne, pimples and other impurities. Also, it is a great exfoliating agent. When applied topically, baking soda eliminates the dead skin cells build up that often gives the appearance of dull and dark skin. Moreover, it helps to balance the pH level of our skin which is essential for clear, even toned skin.
7. Use Baking Soda to Get Rid of Dark Lips
How to use baking soda to remove lip pigmentation
- Mix baking soda and water and prepare a paste. Apply this on to the lips and then gently massage the lips in circular motion. Make sure to be very gentle otherwise you might hurt your lips and also end up with bleeding lips. Rinse off, pat dry and then apply a lip balm.
- Combine 1 tsp each of honey and baking soda and make a smooth paste. Apply this on the lips and keep it on for couple of minutes. Now gently exfoliate the lips with the help of your fingertips. Wash off. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
Dry and dark lips are mostly the result of dead skin cells build up. And you can make use of the beauty benefits of baking soda to get rid of dark, pigmented lips. Baking soda is a great natural exfoliator and it completely gets rid of the pigmented skin cells on the lips. Regular use of baking soda results in healthy, fresh, pink lips.
8. Baking Soda to Cure Rashes
How to treat rashes using baking soda
In a bowl, mix 1 tbsp each of baking soda and coconut oil. Make a smooth paste and then apply the resultant mixture on the affected parts. Allow it to sit for 5 minutes. Rinse off with fresh cold water. Repeat daily until you see satisfactory result.
Baking soda has anti septic properties which work wonders to get relief from the itchiness caused by the rashes. Also coconut oil comes with antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It has a soothing effect on the skin. This combination of baking soda and coconut oil helps in calming the irritated and itchy skin.
9. Treat Head Lice with Baking Soda
How to use baking soda to cure head lice
- First dust the head with baking soda and then massage the scalp with some olive oil. Cover the head and let it stay overnight. The next day, apply some hair conditioner on the hair and scalp. Use more baking soda and comb through the hair with a nit comb. You may have to repeat this remedy quite a few times to treat head lice and nits.
- Take a cup of all purpose flour and add a tsp baking soda there. Apply this dry mixture all over the head and massage gently. Allow it to sit for 10-12 minutes. Use a mild shampoo to wash it off. This is one of the very effective beauty benefits of baking soda.
- In a bowl, take 1/4 cup of baking soda, 1/4 cup of vinegar and juice of half lemon. Mix them and also transfer the mixture into a spray bottle. Divide your hair in small sections and then spray the mixture. After that, cover your head with a shower cap and wait for couple of hours. Use a mild shampoo to rinse off and repeat this 2-3 times in a week for fast and effective results.
Baking soda is a very powerful natural ingredient to give relief from the itchiness on the scalp due to head lice. The absorption properties of baking soda soak up the moisture from the scalp and thus makes it difficult for the head lice to survive there. Do remember this beauty benefits of baking soda to remove head lice.
Check – 10 Most Effective Home Remedies for Head Lice That Really Work
10. Use Baking Soda to Get Rid of Oily Hair
How to use baking soda to treat oily hair
- Mix baking soda and water in 1:3 ratio. Apply the baking soda and water mixture to dry or wet hair. Start at the roots of the hair and then work your way down to the ends. Let it sit for 1-3 minutes and then rinse off with warm water.
- Alternatively, take some shampoo in the palm and mix 2 tsp baking soda with it. Wash your hair with this solution, just like you do with any other shampoo. Rinse off thoroughly.
Oily hair is a big problem during summer. Baking soda is an extremely effective ingredient to get rid of oily or greasy hair. It has natural oil absorbing properties. Also, baking soda is alkaline in nature and it helps in balancing the pH level of the scalp which in turn lead to reduced oil secretion. Sometimes oily hair smells very bad. Using baking soda regularly can reduce the problem of smelly hair.
11. Cure Dandruff with Baking Soda
How to get rid of dandruff using baking soda
- Take 1 tbsp baking soda and then apply it on the wet scalp. Massage gently and wait for another minute. Rinse it off thoroughly with water. Repeat once in a week.
- Alternatively, you can prepare a hair mask by mixing 1 tsp baking soda with juice of 1 lemon. Apply this to the scalp, wait for 2-3 minutes and then rinse off with fresh water. Using this remedy once in a week will help your scalp to stay healthy and free from dandruff.
This is one of the most important beauty benefits of baking soda. Dandruff is a very common yet a serious hair concern. And it is really difficult to get rid of it. The clarifying and purifying beauty benefits of baking soda help in clearing the scalp and eliminating the dandruff flakes. Moreover, the alkaline properties of baking soda play a key role in maintaining the pH balance of the scalp. This in turn helps in avoiding dandruff.
12. Use Baking Soda to Get Rid of Yellow Nails
How to remove yellow stain from nails using baking soda
In a bowl, take 2 tsp of baking soda, few drops of olive oil and some warm water. Mix together to make a thick paste. After removing nail paint, apply this paste to the nails and then let it sit for 5-6 minutes. Rinse it off afterwards by massaging a little.
The olive oil present in this mixture will ensure that baking soda doesn’t dry out the nails. The exfoliating properties of baking soda do the main job here. It removes the yellow stain from the nails and restore the original nail color.
13. Get Glowing Skin with Baking Soda
How to use baking soda to achieve glowing skin
Next comes this one on our list of beauty benefits of baking soda.
- Take a tsp each of baking soda, few drops of extra virgin olive oil and half tsp honey. Mix all the ingredients nicely and apply the mixture on damp face. Massage in circular motion. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes and then rinse off with cool water.
- Mix together a tsp each of baking soda and lemon juice and make a paste. You can use orange juice in place of lemon juice as well. Use the mixture to exfoliate the skin. Rinse with luke warm water. Repeat this remedy 2-3 times per week.
Baking soda due to its alkaline properties, helps in balancing the pH level of our skin which is the secret to healthy and glowing face. The exfoliating properties of baking soda also helps in keeping the skin clean and clear. It removes dead skin cells, dirt and impurities which often end up giving a dull, dark appearance to the skin. Furthermore, baking soda can keep our skin free from acne and pimples, thanks to its anti septic and anti inflammatory properties. Result? Clean, healthy and glowing skin.
14. Use Baking Soda to Get Rid of Dark Neck
Different ways to use baking soda to get rid of neck pigmentation
- Make a paste by mixing some baking soda and water. Apply it all over the neck and gently massage the area. Keep it on for another couple of minutes. Rub it gently while washing and then rinse off with clean water. Pat dry the skin and apply a moisturizer. Repeat this everyday,
- Alternatively, make a paste by mixing water and baking soda. Add a tbsp of lemon juice and mix everything nicely. Apply it on the affected area. Spread it nicely, let it dry and then wash off with fresh water. Repeat this 2-3 times in a week for best results. One of the best beauty benefits of baking soda is its ability to treat hyper pigmentation on any part of the skin.
Baking soda has amazing exfoliating properties. Dead skin cells build up often leads to the dark skin there. Baking soda helps in removing that layer of dead skin cells from the neck and thus, lighten the darkness of the skin over time. Furthermore, baking soda also has the ability to promote blood circulation and also nourish the skin from within.
Check – 14 Best Homemade Face Pack for Instant Glowing Skin
15. Blackheads Removal with Baking Soda
How to remove blackheads with baking soda
Here is one of the most amazing beauty benefits of baking soda. Blackheads trouble us all, more or less. And guess what, baking soda is known as one of the most effective natural ingredients that also can help in removing blackheads naturally. Prepare a paste by mixing 2 tbsp of baking soda with water and then massage it gently onto the face. Use luke warm water to rinse it off.
Baking soda works as a natural exfoliator and also rids the skin of dirt and impurities. It also deeply cleanses the pores and draws out the impurities including black heads and whiteheads. Moreover, the alkaline properties of baking soda play a key role in neutralizing the pH level of the skin, which is essential if we want to maintain a beautiful and problem free skin.
16. Lighten Dark Knees and Elbows with Baking Soda
How to lighten dark knees and elbows with the help of baking soda
The beauty benefits of baking soda also come handy to lighten dark knees and elbows. You can prepare a simple home remedy with baking soda to address this issue. In a bowl, take 1 tbsp baking soda and also add some milk to make a thick paste. Apply this on the knees and elbows and then massage gently in circular motion. Wash it off with plain water and repeat everyday until you see changes in the skin color of your knees and elbows.
Baking soda, the natural exfoliator, thoroughly cleanses and removes the dead skin cells from the skin and aids in improving skin tone. Milk is a great natural moisturizer, which also hydrates the skin. The high amount of vitamins and minerals present on milk nourish the skin from within. Milk is also a great natural cleanser and its lactic acid content helps in lightening the skin tone.
Baking soda is truly a versatile ingredient that can be used in so many ways to enhance our beauty. We have shared 16 most amazing beauty benefits of baking soda in this article. I hope you liked it, do share your feedback with us 🙂